eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Someone hacked into my paypal. Cleaned me out (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/81478-someone-hacked-into-my-paypal-cleaned-me-out.html)

james13v 01-06-2015 07:56 AM

Someone hacked into my paypal. Cleaned me out

Well what a great way to wake up. $1000 gone from my account. 3 payments sent to some Russian addresses..... on my main account. No one could have gotten this password.

james13v 01-06-2015 08:06 AM

Re: Someone hacked into my paypal. Cleaned me out

Just had another $380 taken out of my CHECKING account this time, minutes before I changed my password.

natbabes 01-06-2015 08:08 AM

Did you buy the stealth account off this forum? If so did you change all passwords? It's always advised to do so.

Another thing, have you received any "PayPal limited" emails lately? A few have mentioned receiving them but its a scam as when they log in to their PayPal, there's no limitation message there.

Unfortunately, some people fall for this email, end up clicking a link where it then asks for personal information such as password, address, card details etc. Them details then go to the hacker(s).

Can you not open an unauthorized payment case on all payments?

james13v 01-06-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natbabes (Post 628101)
Did you buy the stealth account off this forum? If so did you change all passwords? It's always advised to do so.

Another thing, have you received any "PayPal limited" emails lately? A few have mentioned receiving them but its a scam as when they log in to their PayPal, there's no limitation message there.

Unfortunately, some people fall for this email, end up clicking a link where it then asks for personal information such as password, address, card details etc. Them details then go to the hacker(s).

Can you not open an unauthorized payment case?

Nope, I've never fallen for that email. I get it all the time.

This was an account I've had for half a decade. Crazy password. Real account that I made myself.

I did open up cases on these transactions. and changed password of course. But that's still a lot of money I can no longer access. $1300

I'm just worried about what else they have access to and how the hell they managed to get my password.

Strangest thing to hear is, paypal ASKING me if I want my account limited....

sax4 01-06-2015 08:21 AM

You might have inadvertently downloaded a keylogger

rsot 01-06-2015 08:32 AM

Someone must have - did you use it on a public computer? Need to determine the possibility...sorry to hear

james13v 01-06-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 628115)
Someone must have - did you use it on a public computer? Need to determine the possibility...sorry to hear

No public computers. Haven't done anything out of the norm lately. Haven't downloaded anything. I can't figure out what could have been different.

I'm worried about what else they could have done.

sax4 01-06-2015 08:56 AM

Connected to a dodgy wifi connection? Your home wifi has insufficient encryption? You had some connection with member SandyD?!

That really sucks anyway, i feel for you

Bunneh 01-06-2015 09:18 AM

Wow talk about scary :(

Are you the only one who has access to your internet connection? Do you live in a house share?

james13v 01-06-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sax4 (Post 628130)
Connected to a dodgy wifi connection? Your home wifi has insufficient encryption? You had some connection with member SandyD?!

I did buy an account from Sandy like a year ago. Haven't actually used it tho. Did change password on that.

Can't answer the wifi question tho. My roommate is IT, so I'll see what he says when he gets home.

These were Russian hackers by the way.

james13v 01-06-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 628138)
Wow talk about scary :(

Are you the only one who has access to your internet connection? Do you live in a house share?

I do live with someone, but I have my own ISP, modem, router.

johnquango 01-06-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james13v (Post 628096)
Well what a great way to wake up. $1000 gone from my account. 3 payments sent to some Russian addresses..... on my main account. No one could have gotten this password.

f88king Russians!!!

they cause so much crap in this country!

Bunneh 01-06-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnquango (Post 628141)
f88king Russians!!!

they cause so much crap in this country!

OP is in the USA lol..

james13v 01-06-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 628142)
OP is in the USA lol..

and am Russian lol coincidentally.

Bunneh 01-06-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james13v (Post 628143)

then it sounds like someone you know made a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ account to take out money from you.

rsot 01-06-2015 09:48 AM

No clicking on weird links recently either? Even a scam PP e-mail link by accident?

Bunneh 01-06-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 628161)
No clicking on weird links recently either? Even a scam PP e-mail link by accident?

He already said he hasnt done this.. read above lol

james13v 01-06-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 628160)
then it sounds like someone you know made a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ account to take out money from you.

Really no chance of that. The only Russians I know right now are my immediate family. Also, it was 4 different accounts, each taking out $329. And that's 4 accounts BEFORE I caught them. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't notice and change my password

sax4 01-06-2015 11:09 AM

How do you know it was Russians, Russian names on their Paypal accounts?

Dmshark25 01-06-2015 11:10 AM

Did you open an unauthorized payment case??

PayPal will investigate and if your account was hacked they may be able to see it with whatever they have and will give your money back

sax4 01-06-2015 11:10 AM

mail.ru addresses are also popular with other nations

nivo 01-06-2015 12:52 PM

You will likely never figure it out. You could have opened one .zip/.jpeg/.etc file which contained a keylogger and your anti-virus does not know the particular strain yet. You will probably want to wipe your computer(s) and change ALL passwords that matter to you.

Make sure PP tries to check the IP. If you literally have used the same IP for years, and this hacker used on slightly different (even though they likely used a SOCK5 to make them geographically near you) PP may start to believe your side..

For the future, I would recommend never to keep that much on your account. If anything, directly transfer money to your bank asap. Then if you need money, just pay by the bank or debit card. Then if a hacker does get into your account again, sure they could transfer money from your bank but you can always do a chargeback at that point.

Futuremogul888 01-06-2015 01:14 PM

As you know there was an Ebay data breach not too long ago. Ebay told people to change their passwords. However they did not tell people to change their paypal passwords. Because people generally use the same password for Ebay & Paypal, the Ebay hackers may be using that information to gain access to people's paypal accounts.

wendychen2000us 01-06-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sax4 (Post 628130)

What's happened to Sandy?
Anyone knows?

sax4 01-06-2015 03:24 PM

Probably on a sandy beach somewhere with a cocktail

Dmshark25 01-06-2015 03:31 PM

Hopefully whoever hacked the account left some kind of trail that paypal can see so they will side with them for an unauthorized transaction and get the funds back

GreenBean 01-06-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james13v (Post 628143)

You have a housemate in IT and you talk of hacking?

You have been set up.

:mad:

GreenBean 01-06-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 628190)
He already said he hasnt done this.. read above lol

Like that will happen. Interrupts the posts he gotta make to be in with the incrowd.

:pound:

sax4 01-06-2015 03:37 PM

Aspkin detective agency at your service!. We'll get to the bottom of this, some of the greatest minds in the world are on this forum :)

Salvo 01-06-2015 03:45 PM

You say you didn't click/open anything you shouldn't, but have you actually ran a scan of your computer yet? In addition to an antivirus, you should run a specific antimalware (Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D) and antirootkit (Sophos) program, or even submit your files to an online scanner like FREE ANTIVIRUS online: ActiveScan 2.0 - PANDA SECURITY since some sophisticated programs can hide from installed scanners.

oompaloompa 01-06-2015 03:56 PM

I thought keylogger, til he said he was one of dem russians...

that is a good reason to never keep funds in your bank that is attached to pp, move it all out to a non linked bank and also do not have an overdraft or have it removed.....

same with any card balance, if it is a vcc unlikely to be much anyway...

we always talk about keeping low balance in pp due to limitations but forget the bank....

oompaloompa 01-06-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendychen2000us (Post 628288)
What's happened to Sandy?
Anyone knows?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2wqr71j.jpg

james13v 01-06-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvo (Post 628301)
You say you didn't click/open anything you shouldn't, but have you actually ran a scan of your computer yet? In addition to an antivirus, you should run a specific antimalware (Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D) and antirootkit (Sophos) program, or even submit your files to an online scanner like FREE ANTIVIRUS online: ActiveScan 2.0 - PANDA SECURITY since some sophisticated programs can hide from installed scanners.

I ran an anti virus, and it caught nothing. Ran Spybot.

Had a win32 downloader and a widgi toolbar.

I've been the victim of the stupid win32 before, but it's never done this before.

I looked into my spam folder, and there was one email that was read, from the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ paypal people. But the spam folder keeps any bad content from being seen, and I sure as hell would never click on a link and or file. So, maybe, but I doubt it?

I'll try the sophos.

james13v 01-06-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean (Post 628296)
You have a housemate in IT and you talk of hacking?

You have been set up.

:mad:

lol my roommate does some creepy ****, but I have way too much dirt on him for him to ever try anything with me.

brownsuga 01-06-2015 05:06 PM

The roommate would be the first suspect until he is ruled out.

james13v 01-06-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownsuga (Post 628323)
The roommate would be the first suspect until he is ruled out.

In his defense, he was cooking breakfest while all this was happening.

wendychen2000us 01-06-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oompaloompa (Post 628304)

Sorry I did not get it. I saw Sandy got banned. Is there something happened? Thanks.

SilentHill 01-06-2015 08:37 PM

Bro if your roommate is Russian. It was him. Okay.......he put a key logger on your computer when you where away. Lol

peterspike 01-06-2015 10:40 PM

You might of got keylogged or ratted from visiting a webpage with java.

Check your startup items you will see if there is a kelogger. Just look for unusual programs.

jeffweico 01-06-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james13v (Post 628107)
Nope, I've never fallen for that email. I get it all the time.

This was an account I've had for half a decade. Crazy password. Real account that I made myself.

I did open up cases on these transactions. and changed password of course. But that's still a lot of money I can no longer access. $1300

I'm just worried about what else they have access to and how the hell they managed to get my password.

Strangest thing to hear is, paypal ASKING me if I want my account limited....

Since they have access to both your PayPal account AND your bank account, my guess is there is a KEYLOGGER on your PC. It stays silent and keeps track of everything you type on every website you visit and sends it home, usually to Russia, where hackers either empty your accounts or sell them on the black market to other hackers.