eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Myth or fact? Buyer files a chargeback through credit card provider (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/83616-myth-fact-buyer-files-chargeback-through-credit-card-provider.html)

golferman 03-06-2015 12:50 PM

Myth or fact? Buyer files a chargeback through credit card provider

So is it really true that if the buyer pays through paypal with credit card and files a chargeback through his credit card provider that no matter what the seller will lose and the buyer will get his money back?

JamesNorth101 03-06-2015 12:56 PM

Re: Myth or fact? Buyer files a chargeback through credit card provider

No, but you need to have a pretty decent amount of supporting evidence to get the claim denied.

slokor 03-06-2015 01:39 PM

Not rue.
I fought chargebacks like that before and had the tracking information which was verifiable online.
Its a pain but its doable.

jeffweico 03-06-2015 02:12 PM

The fact is, the buyer usually wins. That is because it is up to the card issuing bank to make the final decision and the buyer is their customer. As Slokor said, you CAN win if you have good documentation and it looks like the buyer is a scammer. Also, PayPal MAY cover you - depending on the circumstances - if the item is charged back.

It is also true that the buyer has 180 days to initiate the chargeback.

If you are selling a valuable item, you should send it with a signature required. Because if the buyer claims it was never received and it turns out that the delivery person left it by the front door, the buyer will win. Signature confirmation costs an extra $2 or $3 but it is well worth it to avoid a loss of hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Insurance is also a good idea, but it usually only covers being lost or stolen in transit, not being lost after it was "delivered" by leaving the package at the front door.

There is no way to be 100% safe when selling online, but taking a few precautions can greatly lessen the chances of taking a loss.

Salvo 03-09-2015 07:21 AM

Last year I won a case where this happened. The buyer claimed he was having technical issues (actually user error) and filed a chargeback with his credit card about 4 months after the sale. I messaged him through eb and found there was no actual problem with the product, just through his use of it. I copied all the messages and sent them to pp. I was found not liable.

This may have only happened because I had messages from the buyer saying he a)had the item in his possession and b)had no real problems, just couldn't figure it out. I'm sure it changes depending on circumstance.

yankee 03-09-2015 09:09 AM

Paypal fights like hell to for you! That being said, paypals loss rate with American Express is close to 100% Visa and Master card, if you can prove delivery, you almost always win. Significantly not as described, 50/50 but the buyer must return the item...

If you have volume, you will get used to winning/dealing with these. It is a pretty small % age of transactions.

wtfebay 03-09-2015 09:34 AM

I hate chargebacks...who doesnt though? Even with proof of delivery, adding tracking numbers, etc etc., I have still lost chargebacks. Paypal sends an email that they will keep disputing it for you and yadda yadda...yet, theyve given up before the chargeback ever started.

just_smile 03-09-2015 10:21 AM

As usual there is alot of misinformation regarding chargebacks.

Its actually the easiest dispute to win.

All you need is proof of posting. I.e your receipt from the post office which shows you sent a parcel to the address on the paypal page.

You don't even need to prove delivery, just that you sent it.

rsot 03-09-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtfebay (Post 648663)
I hate chargebacks...who doesnt though? Even with proof of delivery, adding tracking numbers, etc etc., I have still lost chargebacks. Paypal sends an email that they will keep disputing it for you and yadda yadda...yet, theyve given up before the chargeback ever started.

While I have VERY few chargebacks /knock on wood...those that I have had, have never been solved in my favour