Does paypal have phone verification? (not text message/sms) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-28-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Does paypal have phone verification? (not text message/sms)

I know that all the sites have texting verification, and I know ebay offers "call" verification for the visually impaired. Does paypal offer a "call" verification (not sms/text message)? It seems that lines that support "calls" are much easier to acquire than ones with SMS support (Costly cell phones and only one or two VOIP providers.). The one or two VOIP providers that offer SMS also widely advertise their numbers and it's pretty popular, which is a huge red flag for paypal use (Not that I tried using them, but I don't want to try.).
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-28-2015

Longevity: 73%
Default Re: Does paypal have phone verification? (not text message/sms)

I also would like this info but I'm pretty sure its just texts they accept :(

Ive never had a paypal text get to me other than by my legit phones and ive tried tons of free and paid services.
Old 08-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

A phone must be capable of receiving 6 digit short codes for the texts to go through and most forwarding numbers cannot support them. Google Voice does, but then you often end up with 0/0 limits on eBay. And some VOIP services won't even work with eBay for voice verification, because their numbers are blocked. I don't know if they give eBay lists of numbers, or if eBay is tracing them some other way. But I have tested a couple dozen VOIP and Forwarding number providers and only found ONE that will actually work for receiving texts, and then, only with numbers located in SOME area codes.

Tracfones are your best bet if you are in the US. If you are outside the US, you might want to use a Google Voice number for the PayPal verification and try a VOIP provider and use their number for an eBay voice verification (you click "CALL ME" instead of "TEXT ME" during the seller account registration process).

I would stay away from the free texting services as most of them do not work, and even if they DO pass you a text, your account is likely to be flagged due to the fact that they are very much overused and abused.
Old 08-29-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 50%

So, it seems that if you put your "Home phone" into paypal, paypal won't bother with text verification.

As far as VOIP, some VOIP numbers trace to places like Cambodia, which obviously wouldn't work for ebay.

Last edited by swbluto; 08-29-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It looks better to PayPal if you have a verified mobile number on file, but it is not absolutely necessary. But to register your eBay account as a seller account, you WILL need to either receive the text or a phone call. And keeping a working number on file is always a good idea when it comes to stealth account. Because if you don't and they notice the number is disconnected, it could lead to all sorts of document requests.

The people who claim that you don't have to worry about a working phone number are the same ones who end up crying the loudest when it limits their accounts and they have a hard time getting their money out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
gonzoman (08-29-2015)