eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   PayPal asking for SSN on business account (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/94720-paypal-asking-ssn-business-account.html)

Sooner 03-16-2016 04:22 PM

PayPal asking for SSN on business account

My PP account has been opened since 2012. Today my PP account went negative (ugh) which has never happened before. :doh: I always keep a cushion in the account but had two international INR cases opened today. PP is now asking for SSN, proof of address and photo ID. Several years ago I provided an EIN and changed the PP account to a business account. I have called PP and they want my SSN which, of course, I cannot give on this @@@@ account. The PP rep said I can add money to the account via debit or credit card to cover the negative balance.

The only current restriction on the PP account is adding money from my bank account but I can:

What can I do while my account is limited?

send money
withdraw money from your account
receive or request money
update your account information
add or remove a card
add or remove a bank account
send refunds
use PayPal logos in your auction listings or on your website

How long will PP allow me to operate this account before suspending it for not providing requested info? Is this PP (and in turn, eB and BZ) account toast?

Thankfully I have several other @@@@ accounts waiting "in the wings" but this is my best and largest listing limit account.

TIA

aspkin 03-16-2016 04:36 PM

Re: PayPal asking for SSN on business account

You probably have a couple weeks left..

That's a tough one.

They want the full SSN? Or just the last 4 digits?

Sooner 03-16-2016 04:45 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When I log in it asks for uploaded or faxed documentation/proof of my SSN. It reads, "Provide documentation that shows your Social Security number. Helpful documents include a copy of your Social Security card, a pay stub, or a government-issued document." The PP rep didn't say anything about needing only the last 4 digits so it appears they want the full number.

phaz0rz 03-16-2016 04:52 PM

Since you have backup accounts, maybe consider using the services of a "document creator" as a last resort. Sadly I don't see any other option for you :(

This is a scary thought for sure...

Sooner 03-16-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 755183)
Since you have backup accounts, maybe consider using the services of a "document creator" as a last resort. Sadly I don't see any other option for you :(

This is a scary thought for sure...

I thought about using a "document creator" if they only asked for verification of address and photo ID but the SSN is a completely different animal that sadly I don't think I can overcome. If I'm mistaken, PLEASE let me know. I'd love to save this account but ... :(

EWHendo 03-16-2016 05:42 PM

Maybe try faxing / uploading a document that just shows your EIN again? It is just a thought and hasn't been tested to my knowledge, so may not be valid... but perhaps worth a try?

phaz0rz 03-17-2016 08:13 AM

^^ yeah, you can try the EIN thing and insist you don't use your SSN for anything because your SSN card say's it's illegal for companies to ask for your SSN.

I don't know if Paypal would try to validate your SSN in this situation. But I know when upgrading to a business account they definitely DON'T verify the SSN. You may be able to fool them by having someone create a phony SSN card with the name of your account on it.

jackdanielsbtch 03-18-2016 07:52 AM

if they ask for SSN, they will verify the number matches name etc. so you can't b/s that. and if you try than they will hold your money 6 months and ask for an actually valid info before they release.

you can call and explain it's a business and multiple people use it and offer esn.

phaz0rz 03-18-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch (Post 755594)
if they ask for SSN, they will verify the number matches name etc. so you can't b/s that. and if you try than they will hold your money 6 months and ask for an actually valid info before they release.

you can call and explain it's a business and multiple people use it and offer esn.

Has this happened to you before? I've never seen P/P validate an SSN, nor do I see how they would be able to. Social Security Administration doesn't really share info...

HungerStrike 03-18-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner (Post 755168)
My PP account has been opened since 2012. Today my PP account went negative (ugh) which has never happened before. :doh: I always keep a cushion in the account but had two international INR cases opened today. PP is now asking for SSN, proof of address and photo ID. Several years ago I provided an EIN and changed the PP account to a business account. I have called PP and they want my SSN which, of course, I cannot give on this @@@@ account. The PP rep said I can add money to the account via debit or credit card to cover the negative balance.

The only current restriction on the PP account is adding money from my bank account but I can:

What can I do while my account is limited?

send money
withdraw money from your account
receive or request money
update your account information
add or remove a card
add or remove a bank account
send refunds
use PayPal logos in your auction listings or on your website

How long will PP allow me to operate this account before suspending it for not providing requested info? Is this PP (and in turn, eB and BZ) account toast?

Thankfully I have several other @@@@ accounts waiting "in the wings" but this is my best and largest listing limit account.

TIA

Your account is limit but you can send money and receive money thats great
how is this possible in the limitation period
can any one let me know this formula

Sooner 03-18-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 755603)
Has this happened to you before?

This has never happened to me before and I hope it NEVER does again! Because this is a @@@@ account, the name on my checking account doesn't match the name on my PP account name and that's where the trouble started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 755603)
I've never seen P/P validate an SSN, nor do I see how they would be able to. Social Security Administration doesn't really share info...

I believe the only way PP could verify a SSN is to run a credit report but since I'm not asking for a PP credit card or line of credit I don't believe they can "legally" run a credit report. Am I correct or is there some other way they could potentially verify the SSN?

Sooner 03-18-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch (Post 755594)

I called PP and asked why they needed my SSN when they have had my EIN for several years. I reiterated that this is a business account and there's a reason I keep my business life and personal life separate. The rep said the EIN wasn't "good enough" and to lift the restrictions I need to provide my SSN, photo ID and proof of address (utility bill, etc.).

Sooner 03-20-2016 12:43 PM

Two more questions:

1. When creating alternative documents, do you use the name on your checking account (real name) as a middle name? Since PP has now seen my real name via my checking account, I'm not sure how to handle the difference in the name on my checking account and my @@@@ name.

2. When sending documents to PP, do you:

A. Upload documents after cleaning with Batch Purifier;
B. Fax via free online fax service;
C. Fax via local FedEx Office location?

phaz0rz 03-20-2016 02:14 PM

I've never been in a situation like this so my comments are purely speculative...

Personally I would assume they haven't seen your real name when making alternative docs. The billing department is probably separate from the ID verification department so there's no telling what the people you're talking to know about you. I think your chances would be better just using the name on the account rather than using a name that doesn't match the bank or the account.

I would email the documents from the email associated with the account, unless you have access to a fax line in the area code of your account. It would be suspicious for you to send a fax from another state..

Again, don't quote me on anything. I think your account is toast. :(

Good luck though.