Any Idea On How Much Money Paypal Loses A Year ??? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-08-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 67%
Default Re: Any Idea On How Much Money Paypal Loses A Year ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_ebay View Post
Petrol stations aswell selling at 2-3% profit, one guy drives off with a full tank and they probably need 100 or so sales just to break even again
Wow! I never realised their margins we're so low.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-08-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Wow! I never realised their margins we're so low.
Why do you think that the items they sell inside is so high, they make very little from the gas they sell.
Old 08-08-2016
Banned

Longevity: 73%

Quote:

Or could just scam on all accounts even with holds, would be effort though getting people to not open too many cases after 10-12 days before the holds drop.
Try 7 days. Not telling how I know this.
Old 08-08-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaBeh8ater View Post
Try 7 days. Not telling how I know this.
You're vague response makes you sound like a criminal.
Old 08-08-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wd0wn View Post
I believe PayPal also sells delinquent accounts too so they lose a bit.. but not too much
Delinquent accounts to credit collection agencies? Quite possibly.
Old 08-10-2016

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Delinquent accounts to credit collection agencies? Quite possibly.
I don't see why not :P Everyone does it
Old 08-10-2016

Longevity: 44%

pretty sure they make alot of money£$£$£$£
Old 08-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 84%

You know, the crazy thing about what you said is that I have friend who does this every few months or so. Lol. It would make for decent side change. LOLOLOL. So with figuring in people like that, and them still keeping their margins low is pretty amazing. Lol
Quote:
A lot lol. Not hard is it. I have about atleast 1/10 accounts that just lose the paypal holds straight away. I could just wait for that account, sell up to the £2100 limit and do one, nobody can even open a case for a week+ if you set long delivery/dispatch times.
Buy some virtual chit and sell it for bitcoins, probably lose 20-30% but who cares.

Or could just scam on all accounts even with holds, would be effort though getting people to not open too many cases after 10-12 days before the holds drop.

Same with any business though, I lose around 2% due to items 'lost'. Was reading the other day supermarkets are losing a lot more since self service checkouts. I know of a few guys who will just go and steal £500 of worth of stuff in one go aswell, like tooth brush heads etc.
Petrol stations aswell selling at 2-3% profit, one guy drives off with a full tank and they probably need 100 or so sales just to break even again
Old 08-22-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa314 View Post
No big reason, was just curious. I remember the glory days of paypal, before the holds, and all the other BS they pull now. Was just curious if an increase in shrink had something to do with them implementing all the these things over the past while, and has it done anything for the problem or is it getting worse.
Have been selling since like 2004 I have never cared about the holds or any of that stuff as long as my funds got released. To be honest back in the day I had allot more CC disputes with regards to unauthorized transactions, etc. Hardly, get those anymore. I had the rolling reserve and all that stuff. I never cared, was just happy to be able to sell. It amazing me how many people on here feel entitled to it.

The Monkey Wrench has been the darn 1099k law. Back in the day as long as you didn't sell over $10k in a month on a single PayPal you were find without a Tax ID. Back then I had 4 stealth accounts instead of 20. It was much simpler life.

Last edited by vogeltron; 08-22-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2016

Longevity: 51%

I am sure they lose a few million/year due to scam. Compared to their profits, it's hardly a dent in the wall.

Yes, paypal makes more and more money every year, but that doesn't mean it's a good sign. Compared to other tech and website companies (ex. Amazon) paypal is actually a dying company compared to them. Stock is horrible, CEO is stepping down, etc. etc.

Yes, some of the 21 day holds etc. cuts down on scam, but the main point of those is paypal makes money off interests.
Old 08-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch View Post
Yes, paypal makes more and more money every year, but that doesn't mean it's a good sign. Compared to other tech and website companies (ex. Amazon) paypal is actually a dying company compared to them. Stock is horrible, CEO is stepping down, etc. etc.
They've only had their own stock for a year. Hardly enough stock history to call them a dying company, IMO. Their stock was at $34.69 after the EB/PP split in June of last year and it's now at $37.52. Admittedly not much of a jump, but they are technically a "new" company.

Why do you think they are failing?

I know AZ makes considerably more money but I don't think PP is going anywhere.
Old 08-24-2016

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
They've only had their own stock for a year. Hardly enough stock history to call them a dying company, IMO. Their stock was at $34.69 after the EB/PP split in June of last year and it's now at $37.52. Admittedly not much of a jump, but they are technically a "new" company.

Why do you think they are failing?

I know AZ makes considerably more money but I don't think PP is going anywhere.
Just because you post bigger profit, doesn't mean it's a good thing. Let me give you an example. Say last year I put $100K in the bank, and this year I put $250K in the band, in theory, this year was better, right?
What if I told you last year the $100K was all profit, and this year I only made $50K in profit from work, but sold my house for $200K and don't have a house any more.

Same things with paypal. 5 years ago all paypal profit was from ebay and say it was $100K. Now, their profit from ebay is only $50K. And they are making small, small profit from doing a bunch of other things, but those other things even thought they make them a little money are a failure because they don't reach the amount of profit paypal expects out of them.

And they have tried and tried to do other things, but they just keep failing.
(1) ebay vallet - ebay doesn't have items to sell itself like Amazon. so they thought they'd start selling other peoples things for them, people just send ebay their stuff and ebay lists and sells them and gives them 50% or (Whatever the percentage is). complete fail, very few people use this service.
(2) paypal tried going to stores and accepting paypal in checkout - basically they want to compete with visa/mastercard. again failed, very very few people use paypal in stores
(3) ebay tired to get retail shops to sell on ebay for no fee. basically told stores your buyers are shopping for your items anyways, so sell on ebay so you can reach more potential buyers. again failed. very very few actual stores opened shop on ebay (target is one that did)
(4) they make interests of 21 day holds - they didn't have these holds years ago or made money off it. this is another reason why bigger profits, because they have more money from other sources, but the mail core source (ebay sells) is dying

5-10 years ago paypal had a lot of potential so people loved it. now, they tried doing a bunch of things and failing (yes they are making a little bit of money with these, but their goal is to compete with amazon, visa/mastercard, etc.) and they aren't even in the same ball park.

That's why I said dying. It's better to make $10,000 a year (being a straight A student in college working part time and studying to be a lawyer/doctor etc.) than make $25,000 a year (being a drop out working construction).