eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/98914-domain-question-hopefully-someone-might-know-answer.html)

Charmed 08-23-2016 01:40 PM

Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer

My paypal was perm limited and I only use it for my website, it has become very obvious that the domain itself has become blacklisted. Although I figured that would be the case I recently opened a stealth acc with no connecting details at all with the one exception being my domain. So thats crystal now.

What I am wondering is before I switch on a redirection and rename my site etc etc (I am using stripe and I must say its working out well, but from abandoned carts I can see roughly how many sales I am losing due to the missing paypal option)....could I add SSL to the domain making it https://www.blah blah instead of www.blablah and would that slight difference be enough to pass through paypal?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message :)

elmo 08-23-2016 02:06 PM

Re: Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer

Better to change the domain completely otherwise you'll run the risk of a similarity if they do a manual review and see other similar characteristics

Charmed 08-23-2016 02:29 PM

Yes that is what I thought....was just kind of clutching :( Im worried current customers will be put off with a redirect and Im not a hundred percent sure how it works when I switch a redirect on regarding all old links to the original domain. If I knew it would all just be straight forward and business as usual, any links redirecting to the corresponding new page etc I could rest a little easier.

TOOKNAPA 08-23-2016 06:11 PM

can't you just redirect the checkout page to a ne domaine name (something like "mydomainnamesecuredcheckout") and then accept paypal on this new one page domain ?

Play 08-23-2016 06:16 PM

You could try using merchants who allow customers to pay by card or PayPal. I think such PayPal payments go through the merchant and end up in your account (I think).

Alternatively, you could open up a stealth paypal, and at checkout tell customers you will send them an invoice (manually).

You basically cannot use PayPal's checkout/buy now buttons.

celebrityphotos4you 08-23-2016 07:42 PM

It will be interesting to see what people write in threads, because this is my case in one of my businesses

UKGiftWarranty 08-23-2016 07:57 PM

Don't go for the SSL idea, significant risk.

URL forwarding and/or any other kind of redirect has worked for me on scenarios you've explained for the last 5 years. Done correctly there's no concerns about PayPal linking - in my professional opinion and experience.

You can use the PayPal button code- just opt for the email link version & work out your redirect/forward from there. Very simple & safe, and you can even link that to a checkout button/image of your own, if required.

Charmed 08-24-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOOKNAPA (Post 794871)
can't you just redirect the checkout page to a ne domaine name (something like "mydomainnamesecuredcheckout") and then accept paypal on this new one page domain ?

I have read something about this somewhere, but I mentioned it to the person that set up my website (I am not in the least bit technical really- I know how to manage the back end- upload/design opencart etc but mention FTP etc and youve lost me) and he said something vague which makes me think he didnt know how to do this either.

Charmed 08-24-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKGiftWarranty (Post 794885)
Don't go for the SSL idea, significant risk.

URL forwarding and/or any other kind of redirect has worked for me on scenarios you've explained for the last 5 years. Done correctly there's no concerns about PayPal linking - in my professional opinion and experience.

You can use the PayPal button code- just opt for the email link version & work out your redirect/forward from there. Very simple & safe, and you can even link that to a checkout button/image of your own, if required.

I use the paypal standard setup and the site is a customised opencart theme. Do you know if all redirects run smoothly? I am concerned mainly because we advertise quite heavily to remove and amend all adverts with the new links to products will be time consuming and not really viable. Once a redirect is on will all links transfer to correct corresponding products? assuming all is done correctly of course.

Thanks again everyone.

TOOKNAPA 08-24-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 794964)
I have read something about this somewhere, but I mentioned it to the person that set up my website (I am not in the least bit technical really- I know how to manage the back end- upload/design opencart etc but mention FTP etc and youve lost me) and he said something vague which makes me think he didnt know how to do this either.

I never did it before, but i think you can find someone on the web who can do it for cheap , it looks not difficult to do

UKGiftWarranty 08-24-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 794965)
I use the paypal standard setup and the site is a customised opencart theme. Do you know if all redirects run smoothly? I am concerned mainly because we advertise quite heavily to remove and amend all adverts with the new links to products will be time consuming and not really viable. Once a redirect is on will all links transfer to correct corresponding products? assuming all is done correctly of course.

Thanks again everyone.

Absolutely- providing the links are used at least infrequently then any large third party URL shortening service would actually work - but why not go one further and setup 301 redirects through another domain you own? This cuts out the middle man and guarantees your solution is permanent. A redirect alone is probably enough but you can get creative with the domain you redirect via and make things look super legit.

Charmed 08-24-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKGiftWarranty (Post 795092)
Absolutely- providing the links are used at least infrequently then any large third party URL shortening service would actually work - but why not go one further and setup 301 redirects through another domain you own? This cuts out the middle man and guarantees your solution is permanent. A redirect alone is probably enough but you can get creative with the domain you redirect via and make things look super legit.

To be honest when I began the site 2 years ago I picked a name out of thin air thinking I can always change it at a later date and it wasnt (I dont think) the best of names but I had no idea how popular we were going to be so Ive stuck with it. However at this point it would be an opportunity to rebrand I guess with a 301 redirect.

I think my last question is, will my customers old and new be put off by the sudden redirection. I can send out an email announcing our rebranding to our current customers, but it may put new customers off?

Charmed 08-24-2016 04:37 PM

.....or I could 301 redirect to a domain that is only slightly different as I puchased both versions at the same time. However the concern there is that it would not be too dissimilar to the previous version should a manual review take place? my website contains numbers and the new version is exactly the same but without the numbers. Is it too similar I wonder?....but I think the customers would not notice this slight difference on the positive side.

UKGiftWarranty 08-24-2016 04:54 PM

I'd confidently suggest that a loss of sales would be tiny, if at all... at least 99% of the general population wouldn't even understand a redirect had taken place, and certainly wouldn't see it as a concern. In all likelihood, they'll be unaware and think they've gone straight from your site through to PayPal, the entire process takes less than a second.

I'd be happy with a secondary domain that's similar- just throw up WHOIS protection and you're good to go. If you want to be super paranoid then go for a completely different domain but I don't believe this is a genuine risk of any kind and I've used similar tactics in the past and not run into any issues.