Pre-paid signed for straight in post box - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 03-28-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default Pre-paid signed for straight in post box

Currently I sell on EBay and print pre-paid 1st class signed large letter labels direct from Ebay and stick them on my parcels.

I take these into a post office and they scan each parcel individually and at the end provide me with all the individual proof of postage receipts.

I am not bothered about proof of postage and only care about the delivery confirmation when the parcel is handed to the end customer, my question is can I just put my parcels straight in a post box without getting them scanned in the post office?

Will the delivery confirmation tracking still work? Will it just mean I won't get proof of postage so can't claim compensation?

Thanks in advance.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-28-2020

Longevity: 38%
Default Re: Pre-paid signed for straight in post box

I guess ur talking about Royal mail here.. probably it wont work.. 2 differents sorting processes and thats why the signed for mail is often little more expensive..
Old 03-28-2020
Threadstarter  

Sorry I forgot to say it is Royal Mail I'm talking about.

I've had a few people say it would work but can't risk putting 20 parcels in a post box and none of them going tracked!
Old 03-28-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
Currently I sell on EBay and print pre-paid 1st class signed large letter labels direct from Ebay and stick them on my parcels.

I take these into a post office and they scan each parcel individually and at the end provide me with all the individual proof of postage receipts.

I am not bothered about proof of postage and only care about the delivery confirmation when the parcel is handed to the end customer, my question is can I just put my parcels straight in a post box without getting them scanned in the post office?

Will the delivery confirmation tracking still work? Will it just mean I won't get proof of postage so can't claim compensation?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will still work. The only trouble is that your items will only be scanned at the point of delivery. If it delivers late, you get one strike on your eBay account if you had already uploaded the tracking.
I'd say you should hold on to the tracking and only upload it when the tracking goes live and only if it delivers on time.

Please note that you're also less protected. If the parcel goes missing, you're liable to your customer and can't make any claims to RM.

What you should be worried about is posties not scanning these - and a lot of lazy posties out there don't.
I can guarantee you that some of your items will deliver unscanned.

By the way, that post office is being nice to you. Many others will not agree to do that.

Why don't you open a click and drop account with RM?

You can bag your items and just drop it off at the post office or delivery centre without making physical contact if you're afraid of the Chinese virus

Good luck.

Last edited by Pandoras_box; 03-28-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2020
Threadstarter  

I forgot about the fact I might lose my top seller status doing it this way.

I would say 25% of parcels the postman doesn’t scan so the tracking doesn’t show as delivered.

If I use click and drop, do I need to get special bags from Royal Mail or can I use any bag?

When they scan the click and drop manifest will all the tracking go live? I’ve heard some post offices don’t bother to scan the manifest.
Old 03-29-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

Yes, these posties are given more and more work with very little time to complete them.
I'll tell you what: Over the years, I've had a few packages delivered to me with messages asking the opposite to scan the pack before handing it over. I thought it was a brilliant idea.
You should be able to find these sort of stickers yourself - or consider making these yourself.

Yes, you'd need RM bags which you can order online, but nine times out of 10, I don't get them, so we just go to the nearest delivery centre to collect these once a month.

Ring Royal business line and ask for an account. They require you to spend up to £5k minimum on postage every year to be eligible for an account. Tell them if you spend that much or more.
You'd be given a 30 days credit line if your application is successful.

All post offices have been told to scan the manifest or lose the petty pennies that they should have made on it. So you'd find they all want to get it scanned nowadays.

No, your tracking would not go live when the manifest is scanned at the post office. They'll go live only at the point of delivery if the postman scans it.

One last thing, RM 1st class / RM 24 are identical in delivery times and cost, but posties are instructed not to scan 1st class. So if you send out say 100 RM first class and 100 RM 24, you can be sure to get up to 90% tacking for RM24 and only about 10% for 1st class.
I found out from our account Manager that posties are instructed not to scan 1st class.

Same goes for 2nd class and RM48.

So if you do get approved, steer clear of 1st and 2nd class unless you wish to give most of your items away for free.

Let me know if you get your account and I'd be happy to talk you through some pitfalls or avoid.
Good luck.