VAT / Tax Duty - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 11-24-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default VAT / Tax Duty

Hi,

In the UK VAT/ Tax duty seems to be one hell of a joke recently.

Order 1 - 2x xxxxxxxx - Weight 2KG -
Order 2 - 2x xxxxxxxx - Weight 2KG - Same items as before
Order 3 - 2x xxxxxxxx - Weight 2KG - Same items as before

Order 1 TAX / Import Duty = £16.66
Order 2 TAX / Import Duty = £9.70
Order 3 TAX / Import Duty = £0.00

All via DHL. (Spoke to a guy from DHL today who I talk to quite a lot, tells me that DHL have a very 'loving' relationship' with customs and that it is all very relaxed in the sort facilities recently, how true I dont know)

If any one can shed light on import duty / tax would be good...Business link website tells me one standard percentage.. obviously not the case

Need I not say anymore..... wtf!?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 85%

Duty is nothing to do with the weight but the declared value of the package (including shipping cost). Look on the boxes and see what the seller has put for contents / value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebayorbust For This Useful Post:
SUVE (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

What in the world would Make you think that the Tax is Based on the Weight of the Package? the Tax is Based on the VALUE of the Package,

hence Value Added Tax or VAT for Short,,,

You Need to get up now and a Doctor look at that Lump on your head,,
SUVE (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011
Threadstarter  

No the point I was making by putting weights was that for each package declaration, weight, same items etc. I know what VAT is based on but a point I was making obviously didnt get across...

So then slapped youve piped up if everything is the same, why might the TAX be different?
Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavey10 View Post
No the point I was making by putting weights was that for each package declaration, weight, same items etc. I know what VAT is based on but a point I was making obviously didnt get across...

So then slapped youve piped up if everything is the same, why might the TAX be different?
I ABSOLUTLY do NOT Get what you are trying to say,,

I Know that things are Different in other Countries, But a VAT is a VAT ANYWHERE in the World.

If you have 2 Packages that LOOK IDENTICAL and Weigh EXACTLY the Same, BUT the Value of the Contents inside One of the Packages is $100.00 and the Value or the Contents in the Other Package is $10.00 then the VAT on the Each Package will VERY Different, where the Package with $100.00 worth of Contents will have a MUCH Higher VAT than the other, VERY Simple,,The Weights of the Packages has NOTHING to do with the VAT

You Did NOT Mention Declared VALUE in ANY of your Posts

If you are Now Saying that the Packages ALL Have the Same Weigth and the Same EXACT Declared VALUE then you have a VERY Valid Point,,But I Personally cannot see that this may actually be the case,,

Last edited by slapped; 11-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (11-25-2011), SUVE (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011
Threadstarter  

They weighed the same, declaration was exactly the same.. yes VAT is the same wherever...I agree, I should of stated this in the original post.

I just dont get why it goes from £16.66 to £0.00 with same dec value...!!
Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

There MUST be a Difference,,,,,,,Is One Declared as a "Sample", Maybe?, or "Personal Item"?, Or as a Sale?,,,There has to be something,,,,,If there is nothing, you might want to take it up with customs
Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

If our field of expertise is getting back to ebay and paypal, when did comptency in VAT & Tax Duty which relate to HMRC come to play?

You are expecting answers to a topic that most would not be competent to give. As such it's difficult for the forum to help.

Answer these questions: are they 3 different orders for 3 different consumers and were they assessed on the same day or on different days? You mention a chat with DHL as well. Did the same HMRC office assess the items?
Old 11-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 73%

I've spoken to FedEx about this in the past as well as having researched this. I agree with the above posters advice to you. These base calculations 'MIGHT' help you to get the picture on this & aid your understanding a bit; though I agree with GB we are veering off the main basis for this forum.

UK Duty & UK VAT is not applicable on everything entering the UK.If your goods are liable, then the following explain how UK Customs calculate Duty & VAT.

UK CUSTOMS
Calculating the Total Value of your Goods (Door to Door)
The terms between the shipper/seller has a bearing on whether or not the Costs of Shipping are added to your Customs Entry.......Import Duty & / or VAT (if applicable) will be paid on this in addition to the price that you have actually paid for the Goods.

Calculating Basic Import Duty (If applicable):
Assuming you've got your Total Value of Goods (including all the associated shipping costs) in UK Pounds, UK CUSTOMS has a Goods classification class that rates each of the Goods at a certain Duty Rate for each respective Good as follows:.

UK Customs Duty for your particular Goods:
Goods Commodity Code x UK Import Duty (that's applicable to your goods)=Percentage UK Customs Duty Rate
THEREFORE---->
Total Value of your Goods (incl shipping) x UK Customs Duty Rate = UK Import Duty (approximate)

Calculating UK VAT (20 % (If applicable):
UK Import Duty+Total Value of your Goods (incl. the shipping costs)+All UK charges, (such as Customs clearance & delivery costs (from port of arrival/Bonded Warehouse through to your door)) x 20 % UK VAT = UK VAT (approximate).

I hope this gives you some idea.

Last edited by SUVE; 11-24-2011 at 06:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SUVE For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011
Threadstarter  

Many thanks, it was put in this section because it mindboggles me how all the same dec can change in Tax / Duty so much. No slapped they weren't samples or anything different, hence this post to ask why prices may vary so much, EVERYTHING (and ill state again) EVERYTHING value was declared the same.
Old 11-25-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 73%

Quote:
dec can change in Tax / Duty so much.
In a nutshell, the tax/duty can be different (even if the items are the same) because there are various variables to tinker with before final figures are deduced for the tax/duty calculations.

It can be any number of reasons (items could be origination from a different postage location from the original seller to you finally, hence different destination port of arrival/dispatch location costs figures to you etc etc), If I was you I'd speak directly with your shipper to get clarification over this, I am sure they'd explain their figures to you.

This is on top of the fact that if they manually open your packages & inspected your goods & then changed the duty class good (to a higher/more expensive duty class product) to reflect its true/correct expected market value (a tv duty rate for a tv instead a bike for a bike duty rate)/duty class gradient as people sometimes do undeclare the value of the item to keep the costs down &/or put it in a lower duty class.

But speak to your shipper directly to determine this if any of the explanations above do NOT shed an insight into this for you.

Last edited by SUVE; 11-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2011
Executive [VIP]

So Basically hdavey10 you have now heard it several times that SOMETHING has to be different,,,
as SUVE above points it is Quite Possibly customs themseleves changing the Classification of your Package upon inspection that causes your VAT to Change, or that simply the Point of Origin is Different.

Check with your shipper as suggested above