eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Shipping Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/shipping-talk/)
-   -   $5000 fine by US Customs (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/shipping-talk/70511-5000-fine-us-customs.html)

Kelly441 02-20-2014 06:43 PM

$5000 fine by US Customs

I made an order on DHGate and this is the first time that my shipment is going by sea. The seller did not tell me about any special instructions and I thought that the shipment would just show up at the address I provided. I started getting emails and phone calls from brokers saying I had to pay around $500 in fees to the broker. Anyway it seems this is legit so I had to sign a bunch of paperwork and send a copy of my Drivers License and SSN card. After sending in I got an email back form the broker with this part in red letters

"ISF “IMPORTER SECURITY FILING” – As you may know, on all ocean shipments, an ISF filing is required to be filed no later than 24 hours prior to the shipment departing from the origin port of loading. This is your “the importer of records” responsibility. The penalty in US CUSTOMS REGULATIONS is $ 5000.00 for each LATE/NO FILING of the lSF. This shipment is a LATE / NO FILING. Be aware it is very possible that US Customs may access you with the $ 5000 penalty and or a US Customs exam, which is also costly. The average exam costs about $ 1000 USD."

Has anyone filed their paperwork late and not been assessed a fine? I called and spoke with the broker and he said that up to September of last year they were not fining anyone, but he said lately they have.

I am wondering if I should just back out of it and abandon the shipment.

Any advice?

MM78 02-20-2014 06:51 PM

Re: $5000 fine by US Customs

You should of consulted a Broker before importing by Sea. When you placed the order did the seller forward your number to a specific broker, it all seems weird. Where did this broker come from?

I use to work for a Company in the IT department that dealt with Import/Export from All around the world.

Usually anything coming in by Sea must be cleared by U.S. Customs with the proper paperwork, and fee's. Once those documents are cleared you then must arrange for pickup of your merchandise.

Kelly441 02-20-2014 07:05 PM

I had no idea it was going by sea. I was not informed till well after it was already on it's way. I have no doubt the broker is legit. I'm just concerned about getting fined by Customs.

MM78 02-20-2014 07:15 PM

If I were you I would visit or call your Local U.S Customs office and speak to them directly, take any paperwork you have. Even if your speaking with a legit broker they can still stiff you since you don't do this type of thing often.

Just out of curiosity, your not importing a Container are you?

Kelly441 02-20-2014 07:27 PM

The broker said they would not handle any charges by customs so I don't think they are out to screw me.

No, it's just 5 large boxes of toilet paper, 500 rolls

rsot 02-20-2014 07:45 PM

I wouldnt rely on the advice only from the forum for decisions with regards to abandoning vs. going through on this shipment. You should get a bit more professional brokerage advice.

Gamefreak 02-20-2014 07:57 PM

the first thing you should have been told us get a broker when shipping by sea. It may seem cheaper but really could be disastrous if you don't know what you are doing unlike via shipments by sea where you order and stuff shows up to your door. You also usually have to make arrangements to get the shipments and a lot of other stuff that ppl don't take into account when shipping by sea the first time. its really only worth it if you are shipping half a container and more.

Kelly441 02-20-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 530443)
I wouldnt rely on the advice only from the forum for decisions with regards to abandoning vs. going through on this shipment. You should get a bit more professional brokerage advice.

The broker said he could not advise me what to do. He said he had to let me know that is was possible that it could happen. He said so far none of his clients have been issued the fine. I looked up the Customs laws and it said up to $5000 fine, but didn't mention jail time so I don't think it's a crime. If I am charged I will just have to abandon the shipment, but I wonder what they can do to get the money out of me.

jeffweico 02-20-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly441 (Post 530430)
The broker said they would not handle any charges by customs so I don't think they are out to screw me.

No, it's just 5 large boxes of toilet paper, 500 rolls

Wow! At $5,000, that is going to be some EXPENSIVE toilet paper! :pound:

Seriously, rsot is on the money here. I doubt that anyone on the forum has much experience with US Customs laws. To me, this sounds like a technical issue, but people HAVE BEEN fined for big bucks and even done jail time for things that you would never even think of as illegal - google "Three Felonies a Day" a book in which the author documents such cases. It is SHOCKING!

So, IMHO, the best course of action would be to speak with a lawyer who has experience in such matters. Going to Customs on your own could do more damage than good. They know the laws and you don't - you could say or do something that hurts you.

MM78 02-20-2014 09:18 PM

Not sure about getting money out of you but if a shipment is abandoned it will be sent to a warehouse and after a certain time passes and not claimed it will be auctioned off.

GreenBean 02-20-2014 11:08 PM

Toilet paper from DHGATE and sent by sea without your being aware of how it would be despatched?

Frankly, I am astounded. A seasoned foo-foo importer like you should not make such an basic error.

As to your fine, forum can only give thoughts.

I suggest you look for an attorney with skills in the area of excise, taxes, duties.

This may be a blip on your trading career. Right now you have a mighty bleep because of the address & paper trail.

READ carefully what I wrote.

:mod: