Ebay/Paypal Monopoly- can it be beaten? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 04-27-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 86%
Post Ebay/Paypal Monopoly- can it be beaten?

Hola Everyone..I'm new here and I am not sure if this has been brought up before..nor did I research all bizillion threads to find out if it was posted previously..and I am not sure if we can DO anything...but food for thought....

isn't it illegal for Ebay to monopolize this market the way they do? If they own paypal and REQUIRE that sellers use paypal if they sell items and buyers to use paypal if they buy on the Ebay website. They shouldn't require us to pay Ebay, Inc (by requiring paypal use) on the Ebay website....isn't this using their power to minimize the threat of the competition on their website..by requiring the Ebay owned PAYPAL to be the preferred payment method on their website? Sort of the e-version of Bell and their violation of antitrust laws???
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-27-2009

Longevity: 92%

Sure. Also John Lennon wanted to change the world.

Listen. We don't care here. Save yourself all the pain.

You come here to learn how to beat the system and play the game. You play the game to make money because Lennon did NOT change the world. So play the game, save the moral to other more important things.

Nothing personal, it's business. And.. welcome.

X=D
Old 04-27-2009

Longevity: 91%

LOL... Must be a full moon or something..
Old 04-28-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Yeah. Um...

er, something

schtthhh ooooppp acccckkkkkK!!!!!

growl

woof, even...

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 04-28-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2009
Banned

Longevity: 95%

By requiring the use of Paypal, they are in clear violation of US anti-trust law, but they have bottom feeding lawyers that will tie up any ligation for decades. Your best revenge is to screw both Ebay and Paypal for every cent you can.
Old 04-28-2009

Longevity: 88%

^^^^
Wow that was really rude.
Old 04-28-2009

Longevity: 87%

^^^
For real! Quite harsh on the newbie-

I agree with Sycore. The only way we'll see any justice from eBay / PayPal is if we take matters into our own hands. This is why we all love this forum so much- it shows us how to seek our justice...

So don't be discouraged by eBay's wrath (or Cachufleta's comments)

this forum will help you
Old 04-29-2009
Threadstarter  

I do want to know how to work around the rules..you have to know all the rules to know how to break them. :-)

I believe that change can always be made. It just takes someone to take action. Otherwise this site would never have come about..right? and as Henry Ford once said...Whether you think you can...or whether you think you can't...You are right.
Old 04-29-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

woogie,
Welcome. What is it that you want?
ebay/paypal cover their backs by use of lawyers. Alternatives at this moment are use another auction site or try to best them. Many of use here are well aware of their nastiness and make use of the forum.
Old 04-29-2009

Woogie, stick around, read the threads and you will become an expert to deal with ebay/paypal in no time..
Old 04-29-2009
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werfella View Post
^^^
For real! Quite harsh on the newbie-

So don't be discouraged by eBay's wrath (or Cachufleta's comments)

this forum will help you

Some people on the forum seem to have forgotten the purpose of this site. It is to help each other get back on eBay/Paypal successfully. The front page keeps track of stats. Perhaps a new column should be added to count how many insulting posts are made by certain individuals.

I'm not sure what is more annoying...someone asking a question that has been answered a million times or certain people always constantly making rude comments towards newbies.
Old 04-29-2009
Executive [VIP]

Give the guy a break..Its a legitimate topic...Why not discuss it..??

My 2cents:

Im very suprised no-one ha sent taken any kind of action against eBay.However right now they DO offer third-party payment methods such as ProPay(avalible only to PSs), PayMate(Have to be approved) and MoneyBookers(no approval acquired)..So for the average joe, MoneyBookers and PayPal are the only viable option.So they are offering other payment methods but to me the problem is that they REQUIRE you to have a PayPal account to list certain items, and place limits on yo if you DONT have a paypal account.
Old 04-29-2009

I have Moneybookers from years ago in my real name... Would they share info with Ebay? I am afraid so. Ebay has to allow third party merchants who are not controled by Ebay.. So, I agree with OP, there should be someone in Goverment who should put stop to that in the name of people. Let's all write a plea letter to Obama!

We here help each other, yet are helpless sometimes aginst Ebay's "iron hand". IMO if enough people complain, someone up there may have a look into it.
Old 04-29-2009
Vicvelcro

Since it appears to be an anti-trust issue, I'm thinking the Federal Trade Commission would be an avenue. Otherwise, maybe the appropriate Attorneys General. Either the state where eBay is headquartered or the state where the concerned party resides.

I'm not certain which would be more appropriate.
Old 04-29-2009

Yea, I wouldn't know exactly where to go with that first (maybe even Congress, maybe even Washington), but I would look for the higher authority than State...not state of California. Concerned parties reside ALL OVER the world, and Ebay is assuming the form of Dictatorship over people, cause that's exactly what they are doing. What about free market economy, free trade, free world, freedom of choice???? When it comes to Ebay/Paypal we have none.
Old 04-30-2009
Threadstarter  

Hi, Everyone..

I had not checked back on this thread since it was moved and kinda felt like it quickly went no-where (or a negative place)...

GB, I was pretty much frustrated with the whole thing..I recently tried to sell some items and I of course..like many of you was booted out! So..I did some research found this thread, bought the book..and trying to work on it..and then I became even more frustrated that I have to jump through so many hoops in order to be able to do something that should be so simple to begin with..and I thought...Ebay is a huge company..why hasn't anything been done about this??....MS is not able to force people to use IE anymore..SWB (AT&T) is no longer the giant they were....and if you look around there isn't anyone that can truly compete..maybe a few letters can change things? Especially in an economy in which competition can create growth? ..you never know...I would love to break up the tag-team that ebay and paypal have..that's the one that really gets me..because right now I am in the phase of researching different merchants to figure out which one I want to use... The thing is..if the govt would step in..I think we could eventually be worse off...because then they would bring along a whole new set of rules and regulations we would have to deal with..lol..so it might just be a game you can only win by getting around all the current rules we have..Sorry guys- I'm new..i'm in that "I can't believe they get away with all of this!!" phase..
Old 04-30-2009

Well, good point, but we are in 'we CAN believe they are getting away with this' phase...Only some higher authority can order Ebay to allow sellers to use merchants of their choice and not be FORCED to use PayPal. The problem is we are all not raising our voices because we THINK it wouldn't work.
Old 04-30-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

Lyda, perfectly said, paypal is not a bank but yet they are allowed to HOLD and make INTEREST on OUR MONEY, while we SHIP the goods with OUR OWN MONEY, risking the BUYER scamming US and everything they say they do is for OUR protection. There has to be some anti-trust violation here somewhere, remember the Australians fought PAYPAL down and WON!
Old 04-30-2009

I can print out tons and tons of letters of people complaining about PayPal. It's ALL on internet. But all problems actually come from Ebay, That's the cradle of all problems, not PP. PayPal will do whatever Ebay wants, since Ebay owns it. PayPal can never become an FDIC Institution, probably because it is owned by Ebay, and Ebay would not want any other financial institution to own paypal and not have control of te money. So, I think all complaints should be directed primarily at Ebay, not Paypal. If we can organize some sort of letter signed by ...oh, I don't know xxxxxxxx number of people, someone would just have to look into it and respond.
Old 04-30-2009
Vicvelcro

Lyda,

Excellent point. It isn't PP demanding to be the only eBay payment. It is eBay pushing PP on everybody.

Also, thinking about the Attorneys General that I mentioned earlier:
If the complaints were spread out by separate individuals across several states, it would get more attention AND spread the eBay legal team quite thin. In addition to that, it would increase the odds that a judgement be made against eBay. Suppose 200 cases came up in 12 states... How many lawyers does eBay have? What are the odds that one of the cases (early on) would get a disfavorable judgement for eBay, prompting subsequent rulings to reach the same outcome? DOMINO FACTOR.

I can arrange for a media leak, if something got started.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.
Old 04-30-2009

Excellent Vicvelcro! I would compose a letter myself, but I have no law background and English is my second language. If we can find someone that can write good and use all "appropriate terms" in composing such a letter of complaint, than I can do my own part in supplying copies of what I read on Internet, horror stories that people experienced being forced to use PayPal.

Than, we can put this in a Word document, distribute to each and every one of us, we can than print it, sign it with our own names, put in envelope, stamp it and mail out from wherever we are - God knows, that whoever this would be addressed to would be receiving bunch of identical letters signed by someone living in every state of US, than UK, than Australia, China, Europe (lets not forget our International forum), Japan, Korea, etc..etc.....Sorry if I missed anyone's country, you are equally important... And all his in relatively short span of time, it would inevitably draw attention. Than they would need to respond to each and every one of us! Wow! I am in, and I am ready to get to work and do my part! Anyone else???
Old 04-30-2009
Vicvelcro

I'm in, if we can co-ordinate this all in a very short time-frame. If it were spread out sporadically, I don't think it would be effective. If the filings could be synchronized, I think the sudden volume would be a HUGE benefit.

Maybe we should start a user group and have a pow-wow session.