Nigerian Scammer tried to get me! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Nigerian Scammer tried to get me!

I was selling my iphone 4 on ebay because AT&T decided to be gay so then I finally did sell it but the buyer never sent me my money on paypal. When I checked my email i get this mail saying he had already paid and that the item has to be sent first in order to receive the money. I was pissed because I wasnt given the money to ship the item. I rechecked and I was like WTF..is this new? Until I saw the address...NIGERIA! Only problem is that since I just made this account a few days ago, I can only sell a limit of 10 a month but the last time i listed a 3rd iphone 4, i got blocked!..again!

Here's the email:

Quote:

PayPal

You've got new funds!

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,

You have been sent a PayPal® payment of $856.00 USD for an ebay item #270648753242 from one of our Member,Mrs Ruth Christian (visadruth67@yahoo.co.uk) for a recent item purchased from you.

Money Request Details

Payment Details

Purchased From: seaking80
Transaction ID: 53R96333SD696892C

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
270648753242 Apple iphone 4 Black (32GB) (Unlocked) 1
$800.00
$800.00

Payment from: (visadruth67@yahoo.co.uk)
Payment to: (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com)
Seller Ebay Id: seaking80
Item Amount: $800.00
Postage & Packing: $46.00
Insurance: $10.00

Total: $856.00 USD
Money paid Details:
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
Payment charged from credit card of Number:
Payment Type Mastercard
Name on Card Ruth Christian
CardNumber5491*******67212
Expiry Date mm/yy 09/11
https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=KZAL42RVE3MQS
PayPal Order Confirmation and approved.The shipping address below as an international delivery.You are require to make the delivery before your account could be credited.
Shipping Information

Shipping Info:
Name.........Bade Christian
Address.....1,Babalola LN, Abiodun B/Stop
City:...........Shomolu
State..........Lagos State
Zip Code....23401
Tel : .........+

Shipping Method .USPS

Carrier logos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer's service for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

1 : Make sure the approved mail contains the total amount for the item bought.

2 : Make sure you ship the item to the address the PayPal given address above, immediately you receive this approved confirmation.

3 : Make sure the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer's service for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Make sure the shipment tracking number is sent to us ONLY throughaying-status.tracker@consultant.com

4: Make sure the shipment tracking number is mailed to us ONLY and not the buyer. We thank you for your prompt attention.

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.
You can contact our customer service care ataying-status.tracker@consultant.com
Thanks for using PayPal®. We look forward in serving your online payment.
Sincerely.

About SSL Certificates
Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Information about FDIC pass-through insurance
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-17-2010

Longevity: 89%

This happens daily and not just on eBay - it's everywhere across all platforms. The thing to always spot right away in this case is the fact that whenever you receive PayPal emails informing you've got funds it's always in HTML. That email like many others are just typed up by some Nigerian in an internet cafe in Lagos. That's not to say someone might not get more advanced and create ⊗⊗⊗⊗ emails with HTML images, many do for phishing scams.

Another thing that happens is on Amazon they send you a message saying "Wow what a good price, I don't see any pictures..." or "Can you ship this right away to my relative" "Email me on ..." and then they send you the ⊗⊗⊗⊗. It's not difficult and if they hit 10,000 people and one of them complies then it was successful. I just recognise the phony enquiries instantly these days and don't even bother replying.

Here is a 419 scam that turned up in my spam folder as I was reading this thread:

Dear Beneficiary,

PAYMENT VIA ATM CARD 2010

This is to officially inform you that your contract file presently on my desk has been verified and has clearly stated that you have not received your payment due to your lack of co-operation by not fulfilling the obligations giving to you in respect to your contract payment. Secondly,you are hereby advised to stop dealing with some non-officials portray themselfs bank officials and governemnt officlas as well,as this is an illegal act and you are adviced to stop if you so wish to receive your payment immediately.

After the Board of director's meeting held in Abuja, we have resolved in finding a solution to this problem. We have arranged your payment through our SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTRE in Europe, America, Africa and Asia Pacific; this is part of the mandate passed by the Senate in respect to overseas contract payment and debt re-scheduling. And also the Nigerian Government is using this mean to rewards all the citizens of the United states and all part of Europe including Asia, Australia, South America, Canada, Antarctica e.t.c and all those who have lost their funds in either scam, or an uncompleted business, or otherwise, You should know that if you are interested to receive your ATM card which will be credited with $5,000,000.00 united states dollars before it is been sent to you direct to your doorstep through the UNITED PARCEL SERVICE, you will have to respond to me with your full information’s, After your response you will be directed to the UNITED PARCEL SERVICE representative whose name is Mr.JOhn Anderson.

He will send you your ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw your money via ATM MACHINE in any part of the world, and the maximum daily limit is Fifteen Thousand United States dollars ($15,000.00). And also note that the Nigerian Government has taken care of the shipping fee of your ATM card, so if Mr. John Anderson is requesting for another shipping fee, you will have to report him to me immediately. When you receive your ATM card, you have to alert me so that we can give you process of how to activate and make use of your ATM CARD.

If you like to receive your fund this way, kindly contact me with the following information’s below.

(1) Your Full Name
(2) Full residential address
(3) Phone and Fax Number
(4) Occupation.
(5) Personal Identification. Driver’s license or International Passport.
(7) Age
(8) Marital Status
(9) Sex

This message is supported by the Nigerian Government.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Respectively

Dr. Braide Akingbola
Minister, Federal Ministry of Finance
Old 10-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Cant you file unpaid and relist? If a sale was not completed it cant be held against you can it?
Old 10-18-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

anybody who falls for nigerian scams must really be computer illiterate. i almost fell for it once i was so happy, but then i changed my mind. bear in mind this was 5 years ago.
Old 10-18-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
decided to be gay
Is that derogatory?
Old 10-18-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut88 View Post
Is that derogatory?
HAHA...you guys know what I mean. Anyway, the guy got ip banned after I called eBay with my tracfone. But I believe the whole country should be banned from eBay...who ever hears of Nigerian consumers? The last time I checked, the whole world was giving them food and money.
Old 10-18-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSam View Post
This happens daily and not just on eBay...Here is a 419 scam that turned up in my spam folder as I was reading this thred...
Ha! Also they suck at scamming people! A Chinese scammer is more believable as they give you the false of hope sending you an item after receiving money from moneygram or westerunion. I guess the best way to deal is to be skeptical of sellers or suppliers and 100% avoid people from Africa.
Old 10-18-2010

Longevity: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrusader92 View Post
Ha! Also they suck at scamming people! A Chinese scammer is more believable as they give you the false of hope sending you an item after receiving money from moneygram or westerunion. I guess the best way to deal is to be skeptical of sellers or suppliers and 100% avoid people from Africa.
Not Africa as a whole, I've had many a reliable customer from South Africa and some northern African countries. It's mainly West Africa that these scams originate. It started as just Nigeria but then as more people became wise that Nigeria was a big red flag they started using less known neighbouring countries to try and conceal it. But sure if you want to be on the extra safe side stick to the countries with the absolute lowest fraud rates - North America, Western Europe and Japan are the safest.
Old 10-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Aunty Ruth told me that you really should have set the listing up correctly to stop scammers. Lots of tricks to do that for sellers

Any seller needs to list an item to their best advantage not only to sell but to not be scammed