Info for ebay+paypal phone verify - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 11-19-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default Info for ebay+paypal phone verify

Hey guys, got some info put together for UK users, this may already exist im not sure and may be in the Stealth Book not sure i dont have Stealth Book..
just trying to help, i am american but have opened Uk accounts before and never failed yet..

As we have already discussed, eBay use many methods to verify your identity when you open a new account. These methods are also used to track you and look for other linked accounts.

EBay and PayPal UK will only allow you to register with a landline number. To pass the verification process, the area code of your number must relate to your location.

A new phone number is probably one the trickiest aspects of opening new accounts as most people will not want to change their phone number. Here are just a few options ranging from the easiest to the more technical options available to us. This overview will be added to and updated as new information becomes available.

Should the telephone verfication fail, you will receive an onscreen message informing you that they will send a letter to your address. This letter usually takes about 3 weeks to arrive. So don't mess up!

1. Change Number
If you're happy to change your number simply ring your phone provider and ask for a new number! Simples. They usually charge but tell them you receive far too many wrong numbers or calls for the previous owner. You get the idea.
Cost: Free

2. BT Call Sign
BT Call Sign is no longer available for newly installed lines, but if your telephone line was installed before August 2007, you can ask for this service. It works by adding a new telephone number onto your existing landline. When set up correctly at the exchange you should hear two different ring tones so that you know which number is an eBay related call. If you get through to an Indian call centre operative who tells you that the service isn't available, hang up and try and get through to the Glasgow call centre at a different time of the day.
Cost: £2.54 per month

3. New Line Installation
Install a new line to receive a new phone number. It may seem a bit drastic, but if it sets you up in business again, it's just another business expense for your tax return. Shop around for this and look for free line installation deals. Go back to company "A" and tell them that company "B" is doing this...can you match?

4. Soho66 Virtual Numbers
Soho66 is a call forwarding service which allows you to forward multiple phone numbers to your landline (or mobile).
This an excellent option if you plan to operate more than one eBay account as you can add new numbers anytime. I have tested this service and it works for eBay and PayPal verification.

Some call credit is required, so pay the minimum amount of £5. I noticed that my account used 3p worth of calls so this must have been the verifications. Simply divert the calls to your home phone number and save the settings.

Single User VoIP - Business VoIP | Fax Email | Business Telephony
Cost: £2 per month plus VAT

5. Ring Central Virtual Numbers
Formally owned by BT, Ring Central offer a service similar to soho. Choose your virtual number matching your location:
Local Phone Number Search - Local Number Portability / RingCentral UK

and forward the local number to your landline.

You need to sign up to one of the packages or start with the free trial.
Cost £9.99 per month

6. Sipgate
For the more computer literate, Sipgate offer an internet telephone service which uses your broadband internet connection. Download the software which requires a microphone or headset to make calls. You can also purchase internet phones if you plan to make regular calls via the internet.

sipgate.co.uk - free phone service over your broadband link - voice over ip provider.

7. Friend's Landline & Your Mobile
It is possible to use the landline number of a friend or relative to register your new account assuming they live in the same area code as you. It is not advisable to keep this number as your permanent number so once you receive the verification code from eBay and PayPal, go into your account and change your registered number to a mobile phone number. Should your account or their account be suspended in the future, it is likely that all accounts registered to that landline will also be suspended.

8. Phone box and wifi enabled laptop
Assuming you can still find a public telephone box, you can use this number to register an ebay account. Take your laptop to the nearest wifi enabled point in the high street and be ready to type the verification code when ebay call after clicking the Call Now button. The eBay call is automated and requires voice activation so remember to say "hello."

You can also enlist the help of a friend if your computer is at home. Remember to change the telephone box number to a mobile number afterwards.

10. City Numbers Virtual Numbers
Another service similar to soho66 which offers local virtual phone numbers.
Their advertising blurb states that their service is better than most as they do not offer voip services meaning the call quality is equal to a landline. You can even follow them on twitter if you are that way inclined. 3p per min to a landline 16p per min to a mobile.

UK Virtual Numbers - Ghost Numbers
Cost £10 set up fee + £3 per month plus VAT for virtual number

Can I use a mobile number to register and verify an account? No

If you have signed up to a company that offers local virtual numbers (soho66 etc), you can forward that local virtual number to your mobile and use this for registration/ verification.

You can change your primary contact details to a mobile after you have initially verfied with a landline number or a forwarded virtual local number.

You can also re-verify your account with a mobile.

Same rules apply, don't use the same mobile number on your account information if it has been associated with a problem account.

Purchase a cheap sim card with some credit on it to get a new mobile phone number.

You should keep your new phone number for the duration of your account as eBay will call you to either verify your account or check the progress of your sales. If you are not there to pick up the call, your account will be limited until you verify/ speak to them.

Make sure you update your eBay account information with your phone number. Once verified, your primary contact number can be either your landline or mobile.

Deleting your cookies will trigger a telephone verification should you list or revise a new item on eBay.

I may have missed some but not sure.. some of this info is good for U.S. as well just not all the services.

Last edited by nicetrypaypal; 11-19-2010 at 05:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicetrypaypal For This Useful Post:
holymoly (11-19-2010), Markk (11-19-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Currently I use sipgate, but soho looks better. Can you can make outgoing calls from the numbers?
Old 11-19-2010
Threadstarter  

ive been told you are able to make outgoing now, but have not confirmed it yet..
Old 11-19-2010

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Yahoo to holymoly

There is also another method that can be used here (mentioned in subscribed VIP/Exec area), dunno if it has UK numbers.

But thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-2010
Threadstarter  

yeah i know what it is, but if i list it it will be moved.. i have 15 more options for uk and canafa, but did not include, i thought this would be good for basic newbies etc..

my U.S. list has over 17.

vumber toll free, not even on the list.. lol
Old 11-19-2010
Threadstarter  

ttt...........
Old 11-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

All you've done is paraphrase info already on the forum. Suppose it saves the lazy ones
Old 11-19-2010
Threadstarter  

as long as it helps someone

Last edited by nicetrypaypal; 11-20-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2010

Longevity: 78%

I am currently trying to get sipgate working, can anyone recommend the best soft phone to use? I tried X-Lite 4, and my account seems to work but the call forwarding to my mobile won't work. Has anyone else come across this?