Closing/Opening Bank Accounts - Different Acc Number? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 04-08-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne
Default Closing/Opening Bank Accounts - Different Acc Number?

Hi, was just wondering that if say you had 2 current accounts and 2 savings accounts, if say you closed one of the savings and one of the current accounts because they have been used with PayPal and are no not re-usable because your PayPal account got limited/closed.

Would closing them accounts with your bank and reopening them say week/month later give you new account number to use with a fresh PayPal account, or would the bank simply open up the ones you closed and give you the same account numbers?

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Bank will never give you the same ones that you closed - for auditing purposes. You will get new ones to do with as you please.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
ShadyOne (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Wow doesn't that just make life easier Thanks rsot!

Think I have some bank accounts to close right now! Hope I don't change my mind next week. :D

p.s. so is this what people do then, excluding opening accounts at different banks or opening several at the same bank, if PayPal suspends you and you cannot use your bank account again, do you just close it and re-open another?
Old 04-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 76%

In general yes but people have lots of different methods.

Some people have many accounts with one bank, some people have some current accounts with some savings accounts.

Remember though alot of banks despite what people say on the forum do perform credit checks on current accounts i can guarentee you this as people close to me work in the banking sector so this just opening accounts at will is not an option for everyone with poor credit.
Old 04-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Imake$ makes a solid point - you can't expect to ABUSE this service. Open and close too many accounts will cause the bank account manager or whoever to look at your file weirdly. I prefer spreading my business around.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
ShadyOne (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

if I were a bank I would not just let people close then open straight away, it looks weird, if you close and then come back six months later, well thats a different matter.
ShadyOne (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Imake$ makes a solid point - you can't expect to ABUSE this service. Open and close too many accounts will cause the bank account manager or whoever to look at your file weirdly. I prefer spreading my business around.
No don't worry, great point though, I only have a few accounts at the minute, I was not planning on closing and opening constantly but more just now to get my stealth accounts going with the same bank, but obviously at the moment they have been used with suspended accounts, so I want to close/open...just won't do it instantly lol

I will also spread my business around for sure, best to go about it as if I was actually interested in opening accounts at certain banks/internet banks etc because it will not look

Quote:
if I were a bank I would not just let people close then open straight away, it looks weird, if you close and then come back six months later, well thats a different matter.
Thanks, I agree, OK then what about closing your accounts in one branch and then opening your new account in a different branch (same bank).

Surely that would let you reopen a little sooner and the people in the bank would not recognise you as the guy who shouted "I demand my accounts be closed!" lol

Only thought of the above after noticing a branch for my bank 100 yards away from the other..strange I know lol, one is newer!
Old 04-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

no banks are not branch based like they used to be pre-computers! different branch of same bank, will still send records centrally. I mean you can say the customer service stunk and you prefer to try new branch.whatever
Old 04-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
no banks are not branch based like they used to be pre-computers! different branch of same bank, will still send records centrally. I mean you can say the customer service stunk and you prefer to try new branch.whatever
I think I thought of opening a new account in a different branch for the first reason that nobody would recognise you and because it would mean I would get a different sort code and therefore different account number. Because arn't sort code's branch based, so you get the sort code of whatever branch you open your account at?

But if what rsot said is true, that when you close/open an account they will never give you previous account numbers. So the above doesn't really matter.

The only reason I started this thread is because I recently went into Lloyds TSB to close a student account and they done it using a computer, when I looked at the computer screen I seen 4 accounts under my name, 1 current account and 1 student account that said 'active' and 2 previously closed savings accounts that said 'closed'.

So I wondered whether they simply reopened your old savings accounts if you ever tried to open another, as the options 'active' and 'closed' were in the style of drop down buttons, as if they would just click active again lol

Last edited by ShadyOne; 04-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Remember Lloyds arent good for use with paypal as they dont accept incoming debits from stealth names (different to that of your bank account).
Old 04-09-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Remember Lloyds arent good for use with paypal as they dont accept incoming debits from stealth names (different to that of your bank account).
Good to know! As Lloyds were my only bank for some time! So this does explain some problems I had a while back.
Old 04-19-2011

Are HSBC bank accounts on for stealth ?
Old 04-19-2011

^ mine is working a ok

To OP..... about 4 years ago, I had a bank account linked to my eb and pp. I closed it down and after about a month I opened another current account with them.

They could see I recently closed an account with them, mentioned something (cant remember) and carried on opening me a new one.

About 6 months later, I got a letter from my bank. They said a refund (or similar word) had been issued on my old account that I had closed with them. They then said they would put the refund in the new account I opened with them.

Everything was all ok. I just thought I would share my bank story. By the way.... the refund was from eb/pp- my new account was not linked coz as far as eb/pp were concerned, they refunded and it all went through to my old account - it was my bank that put the money through to my new one.

Make what you will from my story but everyone remember.... dont mess with the banks. By all means close and open accounts with them within reason - thats one of the services they provide, but dont try skankin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alps_a somewhatlegend For This Useful Post:
ShadyOne (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps_a somewhatlegend View Post
^ mine is working a ok

To OP..... about 4 years ago, I had a bank account linked to my eb and pp. I closed it down and after about a month I opened another current account with them.

They could see I recently closed an account with them, mentioned something (cant remember) and carried on opening me a new one.

About 6 months later, I got a letter from my bank. They said a refund (or similar word) had been issued on my old account that I had closed with them. They then said they would put the refund in the new account I opened with them.

Everything was all ok. I just thought I would share my bank story. By the way.... the refund was from eb/pp- my new account was not linked coz as far as eb/pp were concerned, they refunded and it all went through to my old account - it was my bank that put the money through to my new one.

Make what you will from my story but everyone remember.... dont mess with the banks. By all means close and open accounts with them within reason - thats one of the services they provide, but dont try skankin'.
Thanks, I was reading your story and didn't realise I was the OP, forgot I opened this thread up!

Thanks

Old 04-19-2011

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
Thanks, I was reading your story and didn't realise I was the OP, forgot I opened this thread up!

Thanks

Just becuase the account number is used in PP you do not have to close that BK account and reopen another. if you search the forum there is a better solution.

Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif
Old 04-19-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizWoz View Post
Just becuase the account number is used in PP you do not have to close that BK account and reopen another. if you search the forum there is a better solution.
VBA's?

Surely you cannot use the same account number with an new PP otherwise they could link you back to the limited account, so it must be something I have somehow missed when browsing the forums.

Last edited by ShadyOne; 04-19-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizWoz View Post
What is this all about?
Old 04-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
What is this all about?
Basically, banks will change bank account details for you in certain circumstances.

Old 04-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Nope, wrong answer. Not the case in this instance.

Here we go, urban myths being created again, ffs. You're so busy wondering about opening/closing/ credit checks you are straying from the answer.

Start thinking outside the box.

This is pertinent to UK banks, and UK banks alone. Not relevant for US banks. This 'closing' of accounts is not needed. As Tiz-Woz said, the answer is here.
No it is not a VBA. In fact it is much easier than one.

In the dark ages (when I joined the forum LOL) UK paypal accounts were recommended to have a current account attached to it. Why? Because that type of account had a direct debit mandate attached. So, should paypal chop the paypal account, the only course of action needed was to instruct the bank to REMOVE THE MANDATE so preventing paypal from touching monies.
This still works and with the dramas of having to make a new bank account, there is no need so long as the bank gets told to no longer allow paypal access. AND if you get that in writing from the bank (confirmed in other words) but paypal touches your account & makes you overdrawn, there's a 99% chance the bank will reverse the transaction because they should not have allowed it in the 1st instance.
Look up earlier posts of mine. I've often said control your own money & never let paypal near it.
Need a coffee now
Old 04-20-2011
Threadstarter  

^^^ I got my answer from tizwoz, it was completely different to what you said and was to do with having the bank change your current bank account details actually. NOT using the same bank account details for a new PP.

I never knew it was possible for you to simply stop the PP DDM at the bank and then use the same bank account for a new PP after the old PP got limited <<< which was my original question and has always been!

Nothing to do with PP getting my monies! Only re-using the exact same bank account details with a different PP to get verified, thanks for my answer...

Two sugars for me :D

Last edited by ShadyOne; 04-20-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Where did I say re-use the account with paypal? I did not. I was showing you a method to avoid closing a bank account. Then you can approach the bank for new numbers , another account because the initial account is still open. (see the difference?)

Only stevia.
Old 04-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Where did I say re-use the account with paypal?
You didn't but that is what I asked in the thread and what I was talking about all the way through.

Quote:
I was showing you a method to avoid closing a bank account.
I said in the OP I had multiple accounts at my bank, I asked if closing SOME of them and opening other accounts would give new bank account details or would they just open the old accounts.

I never knew the answer at the time.

Quote:
Then you can approach the bank for new numbers
This is what that meant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
Basically, banks will change bank account details for you in certain circumstances.
^^^Perhaps I should have worded it better, I was saying you cannot just walk into your bank and say "give me a new account number"...without a usually having a valid reason. TizWoz gave me one. I already knew some.

Quote:
another account because the initial account is still open. (see the difference?)
I wasn't planning on closing all my accounts at the bank, I already said I had multiple accounts, I wanted to close the ones used with limited paypals.

OR find another method of keeping the accounts and just changing the account number without closing the specific bank account.

Last edited by ShadyOne; 04-20-2011 at 05:45 AM.