eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Subscriber Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/)
-   -   Cash on collection?! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/30494-cash-collection.html)

bigboykelly 04-19-2011 04:27 AM

Cash on collection?!

So how would eBay consider me if I was only accepting pickups and cash in hand?

I just want to avoid Paypal as much as I can and although my sales drop but I'm still a lot more comfortable when the transaction is done and dusted. I haven't listed anywhere that I don't accept Paypal but think that most people would know it would be cash in hand and those who are interested I can always tell them via personal message.

So what do you think people?

Thanks in advance.

ShadyOne 04-19-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboykelly (Post 220963)
So how would eBay consider me if I was only accepting pickups and cash in hand?

I just want to avoid Paypal as much as I can and although my sales drop but I'm still a lot more comfortable when the transaction is done and dusted. I haven't listed anywhere that I don't accept Paypal but think that most people would know it would be cash in hand and those who are interested I can always tell them via personal message.

So what do you think people?

Thanks in advance.

This all depends on what category you are selling in, check this for more information.

Accepted payments policy

It would be best to change your delivery options to 'Pick Up Only' as well.

I am not sure whether you can actually put 'Only Accept Cash In Hand' within your listing, this may brake some sort of ebay policy :noidea: After reading that link I gave you, it seems like it is against their rules to discourage other payment options listed.

BUT I still understand what you are saying, the only problem you could face is if someone purchased it and then paid through PP right away without you being able to contact them etc etc

:peace:

bigboykelly 04-19-2011 04:43 AM

Cheers fella, it is set to pickup only on the delivery option and the categories is electronics and mobiles etc. Also don't list anywhere cash in hand either only that it is for pickup only. You do get the occasional smart ass who wants to pay via Paypal and collect but more often than not it's pretty simple as far as the customer is concerned it's just eBay I am worried about.

ShadyOne 04-19-2011 04:46 AM

I think that the majority of people will pay cash in hand yes! You just need to be ready for anyone who doesn't.

Their are ways to let people know your only accept cash and their are ways to find out if poeple will pay by cash.

Don't forget, some people like the protection PP gives.

stealthmaster 04-19-2011 06:10 AM

High value items I would say cash on collection or pickup either way is best for you and the buyer, the only thing I have in regards to accepting PayPal is the fees and eBay fees. Anything of high value they take a big percentage of it so yes my advice I'd stay clear of PayPal, and accept pickup/cash on collection for the item you wish to sell on eBay.

Stealth Master :clap:

ShadyOne 04-19-2011 07:35 AM

Stealth Master makes a good point I missed out, what you are doing can really only succeed if your buyer is local and/or the item is of high value.

By that I mean, cash in hand would obviously struggle if you were selling large quantities of cheap items. Obvious I know, I just forgot to mention it.

I assumed you were selling high valued items thats all.

Their are ways to avoid e bay fees on such transactions, just don't abuse it, e bay know people do it thats why. ;)

Imakemoney 04-19-2011 07:45 AM

Your customer base will be very limited it you only accept cash on collection.

All depends how much the buyer wants your item/s and how far their willing to travel to collect it.

bigboykelly 04-19-2011 08:26 AM

Cheers guys for your input my main reason is Paypal and their bloody limitations as I had a perfectly good account that got limited permanently by Paypal and it was the iPad 2 that did the damage as I sold three and the combined total was close to £2500 so that's why I want to avoid Paypal

Also I don't mind translating the savings I make via fees to my customers which also helps me attract a lot more traffic as my prices are the cheapest compared to others so not too worried about traffic as a few sales a week is all I need. My main worry is eBay.

They are Apple goods so they are pretty hot product when looking from a customers point of view, you jus got to love the fanboys LOL

ShadyOne 04-19-2011 09:06 AM

^OK, always A pp le products :doh: :lol:

If PP keep limiting you, you only need to provide them with your supplier info (once you are fully verified). You should have no problem if you are an app le authorized reseller.

If you are not authorized to resell them, I can't figure how you get them at such a cheap price in such small qty :noidea: :D

?

Forgot to ask how you are working your logistics, if your address is stealth, how are you going to have cash on collection?

Imakemoney 04-19-2011 09:07 AM

Yeah if your going to continue selling apple products which are hot vero items then you may keep running into the same problems unless your an authorised seller.

Products such as these are notoriously hard to sell on ebay consistantly and not run into problems.

bigboykelly 04-19-2011 06:10 PM

These are not ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and are 100% legitimate items but I am not an authorized reseller as such.

Someone has just bought the item and paid via Paypal even though specifically said it was for pickup, anyway will try to be extra polite and see if I can refund them and it all goes well however if it doesn't would you think contacting eBay and explaining the situation would help or make the situation worse? In my experience Paypal are the big hurdle when it comes to invoices and suppliers etc.

ShadyOne 04-19-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboykelly (Post 221215)
These are not ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and are 100% legitimate items but I am not an authorized reseller as such.

Someone has just bought the item and paid via Paypal even though specifically said it was for pickup, anyway will try to be extra polite and see if I can refund them and it all goes well however if it doesn't would you think contacting eBay and explaining the situation would help or make the situation worse? In my experience Paypal are the big hurdle when it comes to invoices and suppliers etc.

So it didn't even work out on your first sale :doh:

It is possible to make it work but eb ay have just made it harder.

Try contacting them via their PP email address. That has worked for me in the past.

Still, people can get suspicious when you try to take the business off ebay.

They like the protection PP offers. Simple.

GreenBean 04-19-2011 06:54 PM

If you do a cash on collection deal, you arrange to meet the buyer on NEUTRAL GROUND.
Never use your home address, regardless of being stealth. That should be obvious.

I dont think the plan is going to be so good. Apart from the item, it's the mind-set of the buyer. They can be difficult to train to 'our' way of thinking.

As has been mentioned. it will be troublesome to handle the account & keep ebay off your back. For starters, get a buyer who does a cash buy & dislikes the product, they are going to go hollering to ebay. You might have every good intention of doing a refund, and I am sure you will. But the buyer will scream at ebay before giving you a chance.
So ebay 'looks' at the account & there might be consequences :suspicious:

Imakemoney 04-19-2011 07:01 PM

I agree with GB. I do not believe this is a solid business plan.

bigboykelly 04-19-2011 07:12 PM

Well luckily this person was new to eBay and he agreed after I sent an extra polite email he agreed. I see what you guys are saying and to be fair will accept Paypal on the smaller (money wise) items as my previous account I am sure got hit because of the large transactions.

I am thinking of getting my feedback close to a 100 before I completely go down the Paypal route as feel that it may be safer but at the same time will try to make sure I have enough funds going through before this as to get the account safer.

Would you think that if someone did indeed complain to eBay that I am only accepting cash on collection that I will get the boot straightaway? I have been buying a lot on this account so I think that might help slightly before they decide to give me the boot or atleast that's what I think.

ShadyOne 04-20-2011 03:25 AM

^^^

Every buyer has the right to pay via paypl and that is something you have to deal with, some buyers could open disputes and leave negative feedback if you don't let them pay via PP.

Just email any buyers who pay by paypl and say something like 'I thought you would want to inspect the item before paying'...they may come round to your thinking. ;) Just gather all your little tricks and payment on collection can work. :thumb:

Offer some sort of discount for people who pay cash on collection as apposed to paypal. Do not advertise this on your ebay listing as ebay may not 'like' it.

Quote:

I agree with GB. I do not believe this is a solid business plan.
They may not be a business. If they are then yes, their is only a small fraction of eb ay buyers these days who are willing to pay outside pay pal, even on collections.

Quote:

If you do a cash on collection deal, you arrange to meet the buyer on NEUTRAL GROUND.
Never use your home address, regardless of being stealth. That should be obvious.
"I'm the guy next to the fridge at the church"

bigboykelly 04-20-2011 08:44 AM

Its a short term plan and is only for the items that are above £400 the rest will be as standard, I know very well I'm cutting off a lot of potential buyers but at the same time I know if I get greedy and start doing all my transactions through Paypal I WILL get limited.