Changed MAC address but IP doesnt change? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 09-07-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Changed MAC address but IP doesnt change?

Never had this problem before, I'm staying at my bros place for a maybe a week or two and I brought my router to do some eB stuff. Anyways when I plugged the router in and set it up. I changed the MAC address like normal but, the IP didn't change?

So I did some research and I think it's because they have a Static IP, but when I followed the instructions to make it dynamic I royally screwed up somehow...

I went into the wireless network connection properties and clicked on internet protocol version 4 I ticked the "Use following" for both IP and DNS addresses and input the numbers I found in the cmd window when I do "ipconfig /all". (Don't know why I did this totally read the instructions wrong I think...)

Now I suck at tech stuff, so what happened was a new network showed up under "View active networks" called "Unidentified Network" under my main network and I don't know how to get rid of it. Whatever this network is it's screwing everything up and when I disable it all my wireless network connections disappear and I'm unable to turn my WiFi on. I can't even connect to the internet anymore using my router I have to connect using my iPhone. Even did a system restore from like 3 days ago and it's still there.

Also, I redid the internet protocol version 4 properties and changed it back to the original "Obtain IP/DNS addresses automatically". It did nothing that "unidentified network" is still there. Anyone know what the heck is going on?

(edit: Ok so I was just taking a look at my "Network and Sharing Center" I go to "change adapter settings" and the network is titled "Wireless Network Connection 2" and I can't delete it or remove it. I've disabled it for now and restarted my router+modem. Now I'm able to connect to the internet somehow but, when I got into my WiFi settings everything is grayed out can't turn my WiFi on or off. It's weird though when I enable that "unidentified network" or the "Wireless Network Connection 2" I can go into my WiFi setting and turn it on or off. Anyways I guess it's not a huge deal if I can connect to the internet but, I still can't change my IP address when I change my MAC...any ideas?)

-Albert Einstein

Last edited by jamblix; 09-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-07-2012
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

So you changed these settings on your computer? It sort of sounds like you were changing settings on you router..

When changing your IP address, you don't need to mess with your computer so much, it's mostly to do with your router/modem setup.

If the IP address is static you won't be able to change it. You can call up your ISP and see what you have. If it's a modem/router combo then it's mostly likely a Static IP address. If it's something like DSL where you're getting internet and cable with it then it's most likely a Static IP address.

I'd give it a 80% of being a Static IP address for starters.

I assume you reset the modem when you changed the mac on the router.
Old 09-07-2012
Threadstarter  

Most of the changes when everything started to go haywire were done on my computer in the internet protocol version 4 properties. The only things I changed in my router settings was the name of the network, the shared key password and the MAC address. Yes, I restarted both my modem and router when I changed the MAC, no change in IP.

I read that if the DHCP was not enabled in the command prompt when I type in "ipconfig /all" that I have a static IP if that's the case, is there any way I can change it into a dynamic address? That's actually the reason I was tinkering with my computer settings in the first place...

-Albert Einstein
Old 09-07-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Most static IPs never allow a change of address.

Check what ISP the brother is using though.

It might have been better to have let ebay/paypal you were away from your usual 'pooter.
Then if the brother did not use ebay you were good to go.

pst,,, coz I am curious did you post from the brother's or chez jamblix?
Old 09-08-2012
Threadstarter  

He's using time warner cable, yeah him and his girlfriend operate an eB business themselves so I need to be real cautious what I do. What's chez? I'm posting from my own laptop in his house right now.

-Albert Einstein
Old 09-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

At ( the home of jamblix-baby)

Time Warner is horrible for IP changes.

You are getting new IPs with your lap-top
Old 09-09-2012

Longevity: 80%

NO luck with TWC on changing IP via new router. That doesnt work ive exhausted the posssibilty cuz I have twc and havent been able to find any way to change it without getting a new modem from them.