eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Subscriber Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/)
-   -   Auctiva calling after a token is generated. (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/57257-auctiva-calling-after-token-generated.html)

Flagpole 03-01-2013 01:22 PM

Auctiva calling after a token is generated.

Has anyone else been getting this of late?

The last two times ive created tokens (from the eBay account holders address and PC) and before ive even signed up to a plan they've rung up the ebay account holder immediately.

One question. How do they get your number? Is it via eBay?

If so, that's worrying if they're sharing details so openly?

Any thoughts?

oompaloompa 03-01-2013 02:22 PM

this should not happen. auctiva do not ask for your number upon sign-up, ebay should not share your number EVER.

You are sure it is auctiva calling? and not ebay?.....

what is content of call, is it a sales or security or automated call?

Flagpole 03-01-2013 02:38 PM

I agree, especially as a plan has not been signed up for and the only details Auctiva have is my friends email address.

Ill explain exactly what happened step by step so you can make your own minds up, but the only real solution I see is that ebay have shared the home number with Auctiva who called, literally minutes after signing up for the free trial and generating the eBay token.

I was in my car on the way home when my friend called and said about Auctiva phoning about your free trial. He told them he was busy at the moment so they were the only details he had.
  • I signed up for Auctiva's free trial from my friends house, on his pc using his ebay/paypal email address.This is the only personal info added so far.
  • I then generated the ebay token on the same PC. No more details given.

That is basically it. I had the same thing happen recently too only this time Auctiva called my friends mobile number which he has on the ebay account.

Although it only seems like a sales type call, could there be any other answer other than eBay sharing the phone numbers?

Flagpole 03-02-2013 01:14 AM

I emailed Auctiva on the subject last night asking how they obtained the number, ill post up as soon as i get a reply.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Surely if(IF) eBay/Auctiva are sharing phone numbers they'd share more detail's?

oompaloompa 03-02-2013 05:02 AM

it isnt a business account, where the number is on listings, is it?

update us - first I have heard of it so can only speculate right now....

Sandy D 03-02-2013 06:52 AM

OP keep us posted because this could be the end of Auctiva if it is proven they are sharing info with ebay.

No one will use them anymore.

Flagpole 03-02-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oompaloompa (Post 427147)
it isnt a business account, where the number is on listings, is it?

update us - first I have heard of it so can only speculate right now....

No, both are noromal seller accounts, definitely not business accounts. Im trying to get the info from them, but nothing back as of yet.

As soon as i hear back ill post the reply immediately.

Flagpole 03-02-2013 10:51 AM

Below is the email i received just after Auctiva had rang the phone number that is connected to the ebay account.

This phone number was NOT put into Auctiva at any time. It also shows that a plan has not been chosen yet so the only details put into Auctiva is the username and password i chose and the email address.

Date: 1 March 2013 18:12
Subject: K****y from Auctiva
To: **********gmail.com

This is K****y from Auctiva, we had just spoke to each other. Here is my personal information and links to educate yourself on Auctiva software. All you have to do if you have a question is either email me or give me a direct call during my working hours. If it's during the weekday evenings or weekends and having an issue or question you can contact customer support by submitting a support case under the "help tab" on Auctiva.com or contact customer support 530-217-6003 (Sun-Fri 9am til 6pm PST).

My availability is Monday thru Friday- 8am to 5pm Pacific Standard Time

Toll Free number for UK customers- 0-808-168-0053 ext.1004

or e-mail: k****e@auctiva.com

Look of our listings on eBay-
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/longcourseplayer/
http://myworld.ebay.com/drtamc

Here is a suggested whole-seller if you are searching for product to sell- B2B Wholesale & Closeout, Fashion Jewelry, CLothing, Intimates & More, Low price guarantee, Store Overstocks & Customer Returns! - Hunnt

Webinar 101- Step by step on how to make a listing

Here's the link:

In this market you need every advantage possible!

All of our listing plans include:

Easy One-Page Lister
1,700+ professionally designed templates
Time-saving profiles
Up to 24 Images per listing (with free Supersizing)
Free scheduling
And so much more!

Plans start as low as $3.95/month.

CHECK OUT ALL THE PLANS NOW and SIGN UP!

Auctiva Pricing - Auctiva.com

Also, check out our education page on Auctiva.com and Online Selling Source-Lots of information regarding on how to sell, market, and news about whats going on in the online market world.

corleone 03-03-2013 12:23 AM

I've had Auctiva call several times after signing up. I'm surprised nobody else knows about this?

I'd say about 10% of the time I get a call right after the token is generated. I know automatically when the phone is ringing it's from auctiva. I'm pretty sure they get your registration info when token is generated.

Flagpole 03-03-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corleone (Post 427412)
I've had Auctiva call several times after signing up. I'm surprised nobody else knows about this?

I'd say about 10% of the time I get a call right after the token is generated. I know automatically when the phone is ringing it's from auctiva. I'm pretty sure they get your registration info when token is generated.

If they share your phone information what's stopping them sharing Ip info?

corleone 03-03-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagpole (Post 427469)
If they share your phone information what's stopping them sharing Ip info?

Ebay would be the one sharing the phone information. What's it matter if ebay shares your IP? As far as I know, auctiva is not sharing any info, nor would they be recording ip addresses and giving them to ebay.

Their phone call is a marketing tactic, and when you generate a token they get your registration info, therefore, they have your number.

Have any of you used auctionzealot? You sign up by simply picking a username and password, that's it. You then generate a ebay token. You don't ever enter your email, but yet, after you generate a token, they send you an email. I'm sure they probably have your phone number as well.

Sandy D 03-03-2013 02:27 PM

This is all we need. Now you cannot trust auctiva because they will start calling you with all their other deals. :eek:

Wonder who else gets our info from eb and or pp?

Flagpole 03-03-2013 02:42 PM

Will only one side share information?

Hopefully the rep. Will get back to my questions during Auctiva business hours tomorrow.....

Flagpole 03-04-2013 12:33 PM

Received an email back from the Auctiva rep. today.

What say you?

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM, David Woods <*********@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi K****y,

I am very interested in signing up for your business plan although i do have a question. How did you obtain my phone number? Was it via eBay from the token that was generated?

It doesn't bother me in anyway I was simply shocked to receive the call from Auctiva when i never entered my number? Do yourselves and eBay share information?

Many thanks.

That is correct.

K****y

corleone 03-04-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagpole (Post 428019)
Received an email back from the Auctiva rep. today.

What say you?

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM, David Woods <*********@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi K****y,

I am very interested in signing up for your business plan although i do have a question. How did you obtain my phone number? Was it via eBay from the token that was generated?

It doesn't bother me in anyway I was simply shocked to receive the call from Auctiva when i never entered my number? Do yourselves and eBay share information?

Many thanks.

That is correct.

K****y

A token is your permission for them to share info including encrypted password information, name address and phone number.

I doubt they share cookies or ip address info. Auctiva is not a partnership of ebay, they plan to be a competitor of ebay. I doubt they are working hand in hand to try and stop stealth users.

If auctiva was linking ebay accounts I would know pretty quickly. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, I would suggest not using their service. I'm starting to phase them out because of fees. Having auctiva on 50 different accounts starts to get expensive.

corleone 03-04-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagpole (Post 428019)

That is correct.

K****y

Somebody making peanuts giving you a quick 5 second response.

Flagpole 03-04-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corleone (Post 428030)
Somebody making peanuts giving you a quick 5 second response.

Hahahaha! I thought that myself.

Appreciate your input Corleone. Maybe its myself being paranoid, but these days im learning to be paranoid instead of sorry!

slim jim 03-04-2013 01:12 PM

Re: Auctiva calling after a token is generated.

I tend to doubt this. Auctiva is owned by a competitor of ebay. I am sure when you request a token, certain personal info is shared to auctiva but not from auctiva to ebay.

Flagpole 03-04-2013 02:17 PM

As long as it's one sided that's great, I thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable forum members first.

oompaloompa 03-05-2013 08:00 AM

exactly auctiva are e-commerce hosters themselves, I can see why you are worried, but my sense is always logically to 'follow the money'....I think it is a sales call, and it is probably worth it for them financially to do the calling, or else it would not be done. As for other sharing eg. ip, I doubt that is in their interests to do as standard...

I would say though, this still very poor, whilst some people may not mind, others do not want auto transfer of details..especially when it is not made clear or is in tiny tick box somewhere, a bit like when companies sell on your details.......

slim jim 03-05-2013 08:34 AM

Re: Auctiva calling after a token is generated.

According to these 2 links this sharing of personal info does not happen unless someone understands differently
http://www.auctiva.com/help/faq/ques...-do-i-need-one
The second link you can search eBay "protecting your privacy" since I don't want to put an ebay link here