eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Subscriber Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/)
-   -   Just a heads up for many starting selling and a little story :) (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscriber-discussions/94532-just-heads-up-many-starting-selling-little-story.html)

LoopHole 03-09-2016 01:53 AM

Just a heads up for many starting selling and a little story :)

"ebay counterfeit guilty"

I honestly did not think that google search would have brought up so many recent cases of people going to prison for selling phakes on eb. Kind of scary to go back in time when i was 14 selling on eb and got hit with a vero. Kept selling then got hit with a huge envelope from a law firm stating my dad was being sued for large amount of $$$ due to my selling activity on his account.

I was terrified at that age to read something like that so the best thing i could come up with was to shred the 100-200 papers and never tell my dad about it. Week went by and i was paranoid each day i woke up i thought cops would show up to my house and arrest him so out of panic what i decided to do was google the law firm and get connected to the office or dept that was dealing with this this vero/lawsuit and beg the lawyer not do push forward with the case. After numerous attempts trying get connected to the right place i just left a voice mail at every phone begging them not to pursue the case and that it was me a 14 year old who had no idea that i could not sell those items lol.

Months went by and it finally became clear the case was dropped and they were no longer going to pursue it. I really think my pathetic begging voice mails apologizing did the trick here but who knows.

Anyway, the point of the story is to be careful. I wish I did that google search or heard a story like this one when i was 14 almost landing my dad or me in jail and a crap load of fines to pay because i was either unaware of the laws or thought it could never happen to me.

If you do that google search and read the stories you can pretty much pin point what led to each of them getting caught. It also may not be a great idea of attaching your state formed business/Tax ID to an account that turns huge or big volumes in profits from non legit sales.

I know most people on this forum know all of this stuff already but this was just to aware some people since i know many sell in these categories after all eb is probably 80% or more unlegit items. And yes i know my english was absolutely terrible but im also really tired.:sleepy:

muzzie 03-09-2016 05:05 AM

Re: Just a heads up for many starting selling and a little story :)

Just build up a proper stealth setup, and sleep well :)

LoopHole 03-10-2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzzie (Post 753372)

Kind of hard when you have a tax id attached to it.

slokor 03-10-2016 10:26 PM

If the tax ID is your concern avoid attaching it and instead spread your sales across multiple accounts. That's how I do it and have done it for years and I can tell you it works VERY well.

jeffweico 03-11-2016 01:02 AM

I used to try to warn people about the possibility of consequences for selling this stuff, but I don't bother anymore. Every time I would post something, I would get shouted down by a bunch of teenagers who thought that they had a God-given right to sell counterfeits. Then a few months later, I would get a PM begging for help, because Johnson & Pham (the most active copyright and trademark protection law firm in the country) was coming after them.

People are going to do what they are going to do. And you don't have to sell counterfeits to be successful. But all they can see is the huge profit margins and that makes them not care. Well, at least it makes them not care until they are served with the summons and complaint, then suddenly, they care.

easy.bake.oven 03-11-2016 01:33 AM

It sounds like you got stressed for a long time OP - GOOD

Selling that's stuff ruins the world and some of that stuff is dangerous so never say never - one day they may still come for you.

Yep, you also stressed out your family as well as the people that received your items - good job matey, nice thread.

Saying that, always got time for reformed characters, people make mistakes, we all have - so best of luck in life man , 4 real

LoopHole 03-11-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffweico (Post 753817)
I used to try to warn people about the possibility of consequences for selling this stuff, but I don't bother anymore. Every time I would post something, I would get shouted down by a bunch of teenagers who thought that they had a God-given right to sell counterfeits. Then a few months later, I would get a PM begging for help, because Johnson & Pham (the most active copyright and trademark protection law firm in the country) was coming after them.

People are going to do what they are going to do. And you don't have to sell counterfeits to be successful. But all they can see is the huge profit margins and that makes them not care. Well, at least it makes them not care until they are served with the summons and complaint, then suddenly, they care.

I just read an old case where a man sold 129 dvd's and on eb which were counterfeit and was ordered to pay 2.1 million dollars :behindsofa::faint:

But it did say he did not file a response so it was in favor of the law firm without any debating.

Read many cases and the fees and consequences out weigh the profits by far....

GreenBean 04-11-2016 07:49 PM

Anyone doing stealth has no excuse about dealing with foo-foos.

Greed made them pick that way.

They have to accept the consequences of their choices.

Bottom line is a seller must check items are in order to onsell.

Duplicating DVDs, selling phake tacky handbags is stupid.

vogeltron 04-12-2016 04:50 AM

In the early to mid 2000's it was common place. People use to get packages every day DHL from china some would get seized they would have pile of Customs Seizure notices. Now they follow up.

Obviously I am guilty from when I was a teenager many years ago. I know people as late as 2011 that got raided by Ice/Homeland. They didn't get jail time but they had a year in court with thousands in lawyer fees then restitution on top of that. Plus multiple felonies on their record based on the amount of product seized. It probably isn't worth it.

I will say this to everyone. If you are importing phakes from China. Customs sees everything that comes through the address and all. All they have to do is say lets let this one slide and show up to **** em up. Its that simple. People who import are crazy in my opinion. You allow them free access to what you have then you give them your address. I am 100% against phakes, but if you want to be an idiot at-least be smart about it.

I must add if you go into DVD's and media for Phakes you are in a complete different world. Some people call it the Copyright Cartel but the Disney's the Warner Brothers and the other media producers will destroy you. By all accounts they are much much much worse than the clothing violators.

rayraymond1218 04-18-2016 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzzie (Post 753372)

They can still track you down with bank accounts tho