eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay & Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/)
-   -   Freedom of information request from ebay and Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/117183-freedom-information-request-ebay-paypal.html)

starengine 05-04-2018 09:19 AM

Freedom of information request from ebay and Paypal

Has anyone made a request to get ALL information stored by ebay and Paypal?
(I saw an old thread on this but can't see any answers.)

Would be interesting to find out EXACTLY what they store?

I'm going to ask for my details.

phaz0rz 05-04-2018 09:39 AM

Re: Freedom of information request from ebay and Paypal

FOIA is for data stored by the government, not by companies. Companies are not required to give you information protected by their Privacy policy.

Verificationguy 05-04-2018 02:15 PM

not a chance you will never get it

starengine 05-04-2018 02:18 PM

damn. thanks for saving me some time that would have been wasted. LOL

saadra 05-06-2018 04:43 PM

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

According to the above link we are allowed to request all the information an organisation is holding about us, we just need to pay the admin fee

slokor 05-06-2018 04:51 PM

They tell you what they store about you in the ToS.
I fail to see what the point of this exercise is...

arktech 05-07-2018 01:53 PM

Under the data protection act you can apply to any organisation for a Subject Access Request.
The company must supply you with a legible copy of all the data they have on you. They cannot charge more than £10.

arktech 05-07-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slokor (Post 918692)
They tell you what they store about you in the ToS.
I fail to see what the point of this exercise is...

I applied for data from a previous employer. The pile was about 5 feet high and took three people 2 weeks to redact others names from emails, editing cctv and editing telephone calls. It cost me £10.

I appllied to a supermarket for copies of cctv which the manager refused inintialy to provide to me on the day saying it was company policy and only for the police lol. After my application went in he was given the joint job of editing the video (he was the only one who knew what i looked like) to remove the faces a of customers and staff (illegal to share their data with me). He Later told me it took him 3 full days. The company contacted me because the body language of one of their staff was very very inappropriate and they ended the complaint with a generous goodwill gesture. I had also visited 2 of their other stores and because of other products of the company I have it would have taken them the best part of a week to edit ond process it to me. I think they have 40 days to provide it.
If the dtat they provide is inaccurate they must correct it or make an additions to the data with the correct data.

It will be to the advantage of the person who wants the SAR to get their data

arktech 05-07-2018 02:05 PM

I cant find the delete this post in edit or preview help please

see previous
I cant find the delete this post in edit or preview help please

slokor 05-07-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arktech (Post 918888)
I applied for data from a previous employer. The pile was about 5 feet high and took three people 2 weeks to redact others names from emails, editing cctv and editing telephone calls. It cost me £10.

I appllied to a supermarket for copies of cctv which the manager refused inintialy to provide to me on the day saying it was company policy and only for the police lol. After my application went in he was given the joint job of editing the video (he was the only one who knew what i looked like) to remove the faces a of customers and staff (illegal to share their data with me). He Later told me it took him 3 full days. The company contacted me because the body language of one of their staff was very very inappropriate and they ended the complaint with a generous goodwill gesture. I had also visited 2 of their other stores and because of other products of the company I have it would have taken them the best part of a week to edit ond process it to me. I think they have 40 days to provide it.
If the dtat they provide is inaccurate they must correct it or make an additions to the data with the correct data.

It will be to the advantage of the person who wants the SAR to get their data

Your posts here are making no sense. I cant make head or tails of them.
This does not answer what I said.

starengine 05-07-2018 05:37 PM

@arktech hold on... are you saying @phaz0rz is mistaken...

"FOIA is for data stored by the government, not by companies. Companies are not required to give you information protected by their Privacy policy."

and that i can request from ANY company?

joy of joys
there IS a god out there

Play 05-08-2018 09:57 AM

I'm sure i've read somewhere someone made this request to PayPal, and their response was they are not willing to share what they store encase its used to circumvent their fraud prevention measures.

I think that is a legally justifiable reason for withholding such information. But don't quote me, i'm not certain.

aspkin 05-08-2018 11:39 AM

It will be interesting to see how GDPR will affect eBay and PayPal. Those in the UK may gain a better insight to eBay and PayPal's internal workings with GDPR.

starengine 05-08-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 919021)
I'm sure i've read somewhere someone made this request to PayPal, and their response was they are not willing to share what they store encase its used to circumvent their fraud prevention measures.

I think that is a legally justifiable reason for withholding such information. But don't quote me, i'm not certain.

to be honest, this makes sense.
BUT every single company can stand behind that defence. they surely HAVE to answer and justify to someone?

ALSO... VERY VERY IMPORTANTLY: they make mistakes. i know someone who got a lifetime ban out of the blue. they were like a blood hound dog and would not take no for an answer. they called and called and called and called and wrote a few letters. ebay then revealed their lifetime ban reason - which was wrong!! they had made a giant co*k up.