Reasons for keeping an active phone number ? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 05-03-2019

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 41%
Default Reasons for keeping an active phone number ?

Ok, so can some one summarise or give me scenarious where I would need an active phone number associated to my ebay accounts ?

I haven't topped up any of the sims I have used on my stealths and have a feeling the numbers will be gone soon.

Why would I want to top up the sim and keep an active phone number ? especially if I use their live help.

If ebay wanted to speak to me for whatever reason ( I don't recall them ever calling on my genuine accounts over the years ... other than when I nearly hit the 85k VAT threshold).

If they did need to call for whatever reason would they not allow me to update the phone number on ebay first at which point I can get a sim and top it up only at that time ?

Reason I ask is keeping live numbers for say 10 accounts can cost £100+
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default Re: Reasons for keeping an active phone number ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
Ok, so can some one summarise or give me scenarious where I would need an active phone number associated to my ebay accounts ?

I haven't topped up any of the sims I have used on my stealths and have a feeling the numbers will be gone soon.

Why would I want to top up the sim and keep an active phone number ? especially if I use their live help.

If ebay wanted to speak to me for whatever reason ( I don't recall them ever calling on my genuine accounts over the years ... other than when I nearly hit the 85k VAT threshold).

If they did need to call for whatever reason would they not allow me to update the phone number on ebay first at which point I can get a sim and top it up only at that time ?

Reason I ask is keeping live numbers for say 10 accounts can cost £100+
If you sell high end vero items I believe having an active number on file is beneficial.

In a few scenarios I've faced the difference was a permanent suspension versus just getting listings removed by eBay.

eBay reps have called me wanting to restrict my account while asking for documents but I managed a few times to have them just cancel the listings and act like nothing happened.

If you don't sell the aforementioned items and haven't had any calls from eBay then you probably don't need an active number but who knows when PayPal will act up and start the whole send a text message bs again.
Old 05-03-2019
Threadstarter  

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 41%

Thanks for that. No I don't sell vero.

I was just thinking back to the last decade of being an active seller I have never had them call me other than the one time I nearly reached the threshold on ebay. Just to tell me to add a VAT number if I was going to exceed the 85k threshold.

Other than that they have never called.

How easy would it be to add a new number if needed ? I could always BS and say I mis-typed my number or something can't i ? or that the contract on the number ended a while ago and at that time get a sim ?

I just don't want the additional headache of ensuring all these unused pay as you go sim's are active. Just another headache on top of running a proper business.
Old 05-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,041 Times in 775 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 81%

For some accounts I just verify then throw away the sim
Old 05-03-2019
just_smile

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%

Only time I've ever had an issue was when I went to log in to an account that I no longer had the user account or any of the details for. It needed me to call from the number on file, which wasn't possible as the sim had expired.

Generally you don't need the phone number for anything, in my experience.

If an account becomes very important, then you can always add a number you have access to and keep it active.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (05-03-2019), UKGiftWarranty (05-03-2019)