Are Ebay UK stricter this year? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 01-18-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 25%
Default Are Ebay UK stricter this year?

Is it just me or is Ebay UK noticably stricter so far this year? I have read a lot of posts about accounts being suspended, (I lost 3 in December but have managed not to lose any so far this year) and I have just received a Copyright Violation warning and 3 day restriction for an item that isn't in violation of any policy. The "violation" is in relation to software that I am providing for free along with a hardware item. The software is not OEM however I have emailed the software developer and they have confirmed that not only is the software free to distribute as I wish, (it is free license with the option to purchase an extended license) but they actually suggested a more efficient way to distribute it, to ensure my buyer's always get the latest version.

I want to email Ebay, with screenshots of my emails with the developer, and argue that I am perfectly entitled to distribute the software and that they should not have removed the listing, as the rights owner did not complain, or have any problem.

Do you think it's a bad idea? I want to relist the item on this account but at the same time I am always reluctant to draw human attention to a stealth account, especially one that is only 3 weeks old

Not to mention Ebay don't really like software, and combined with the fact that most of their decisions are made by arrogant call centre staff, it just seems like a recipe for disaster!

Has anyone else had similar issues and been able to resolve them easily?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-19-2020

Longevity: 27%
Default Re: Are Ebay UK stricter this year?

Just try not relisting item if you had already a warning . U can maybe try edit the listing or create a new one if you want to take the risk . Also do you know any service that provides a uk phone number that allows calls ?
Old 01-19-2020

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by azer12622 View Post
Just try not relisting item if you had already a warning . U can maybe try edit the listing or create a new one if you want to take the risk . Also do you know any service that provides a uk phone number that allows calls ?
For the UK you can use a VOIP company that can give you a UK number with call forwarding and SMS to your cell phone, starts at $6 a month.
Old 01-20-2020

Activity: 31%
Longevity: 83%

You need to contact the email they provided in the violation notice
it usually a copyright protection company,not direct to the right owner
they hired them to do this and they are in charge for ebay listing.
Old 01-20-2020
Threadstarter  

There is no email in the message they sent me, I went to the developer's website and contacted them directly. They said they had made no complaints. The company actually want people to distribute their software so they don't place any restriction on it. It just seems as though Ebay has removed it for no reason.
Old 01-20-2020

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 78%

If your account is under review in the first 90 days they will hit you with VERO for any small thing even if the rights owner did not complain. I think it is just a way to remind you they are watching.
The Following User Says Thank You to degsey69 For This Useful Post:
ak_am (01-25-2020)
Old 01-20-2020

Longevity: 24%

We've noticed them toughening up over the past couple of the months - from not backing us when a buyer abroad defrauding us (eBay used to remain neutral and pay out for both parties if all tracking was taken care of) which cost us £70 to being a lot stricter going towards the festive period.

Something has definitely changed
Old 01-21-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsey69 View Post
If your account is under review in the first 90 days they will hit you with VERO for any small thing even if the rights owner did not complain. I think it is just a way to remind you they are watching.
That would certainly explain it, I'll maybe chance it and send them an email with the screenshots proving I am authorised to distribute it, and see if they remove the "defect" from my account for me. I just find it odd because they removed one of the few listings that wasn't in violation of their rules and ignored the other, much more obvious choices.
Old 01-21-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
We've noticed them toughening up over the past couple of the months - from not backing us when a buyer abroad defrauding us (eBay used to remain neutral and pay out for both parties if all tracking was taken care of) which cost us £70 to being a lot stricter going towards the festive period.

Something has definitely changed
I think so too, in my sellilng category I have noticed that a lot of rival sellers who had long standing accounts seem to have vanished, and when I search any of the VERO items, there are only 4 or 5 listings when there used to be 20+.
Obviously it means good sales for me at the moment, however it doesn't bode well for my account's longevity.

My 3 largest accounts were suspended within days of each other last month. They weren't linked, just individually suspended for different reasons. I had hoped it would calm down again in the new year but it seems to be just as bad.
Old 01-22-2020

eBay has more stricter this year, because they met so many copyrights legal cases & competition pressures from Wish, Amazon etc.
That's why they want to show off they are working harder to re-ruled marketplace.
Normally, their's staffs are tracking front page / more popular sellers. according to your position, ebay has warned you with 3 days restriction, do not re-listed item on same account within 15 days, otherwise, you may received another 7 days restriction or worst.
do you have any personal account? not associated with restricted one? you can try to list item in another personal account. ebay monitor that kind of account more wisely.
Old 01-22-2020

Longevity: 45%

I found them a little bit better in my category touch wood
Old 01-22-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47uk View Post
eBay has more stricter this year, because they met so many copyrights legal cases & competition pressures from Wish, Amazon etc.
That's why they want to show off they are working harder to re-ruled marketplace.
Normally, their's staffs are tracking front page / more popular sellers. according to your position, ebay has warned you with 3 days restriction, do not re-listed item on same account within 15 days, otherwise, you may received another 7 days restriction or worst.
do you have any personal account? not associated with restricted one? you can try to list item in another personal account. ebay monitor that kind of account more wisely.
I'll just have to be extra careful then. I have 5 accounts active at the moment, I will just have to move the higher risk items around to reduce the chances of being VERO'd.
I miss the old days when Ebay was the Wild West of the internet lol there are so many rules now!

Thanks for the info though, it helps give me an idea what to expect
Old 01-22-2020

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Generally speaking eBay tend to become strict near the holiday times. Rules then begin to relax shortly afterwards, and the cycle repeats itself.

If you've been dealt with harshly, odds are it was down to the time of year. All should get better.
Old 01-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainComedown View Post
I'll just have to be extra careful then. I have 5 accounts active at the moment, I will just have to move the higher risk items around to reduce the chances of being VERO'd.
I miss the old days when Ebay was the Wild West of the internet lol there are so many rules now!

Thanks for the info though, it helps give me an idea what to expect
wish you all the best.
also, if you purpose to list something maybe high risk potentially or you are not sure is it risky or not, pop in eBay live chat to discuss with their staff. if you got positive answer then you can go ahead.
above all, ebay kept this live chat records automatically, if you got any restriction regards same item in future, just contact ebay to let them step in to check records, then restriction will remove it.
just in case.
Old 01-24-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47uk View Post
wish you all the best.
also, if you purpose to list something maybe high risk potentially or you are not sure is it risky or not, pop in eBay live chat to discuss with their staff. if you got positive answer then you can go ahead.
above all, ebay kept this live chat records automatically, if you got any restriction regards same item in future, just contact ebay to let them step in to check records, then restriction will remove it.
just in case.
I sincerely doubt Ebay will approve most of my items if they were to take the time to look into them properly. The only reason they survive is because most people don't know what they are! Thats a very good idea though, I certainly have some items that I could do this with, and it would definitely bolster my account against future VERO issues.