Help about my IP modem & Laptop - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 10-20-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 88%
Default Help about my IP modem & Laptop

hi guys i have a question which i think concerns i.p but im unsure where to look for the answer here, ok ive opened a new ebay and paypal account and im using bt home internet, but i also have a laptop which i can connect to the hub and surf the internet through the same signal, are they also using the same i.p? if so and i open a new account will the two accounts get linked cause in using the same signal/i.p (one through the pc and one through the laptop) or am a safe doing this

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to haorichards For This Useful Post:
surcerouche (10-22-2009)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-20-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

If both computers are accessing the web through the same router, the external IP will be the same for both computers.

To find out, simply visit IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup from each computer and see if the numbers match or if they vary.
Old 10-20-2009
Threadstarter  

ok ive checked it, they are the same is there anything i can do to change this? thanks for your help
Old 10-20-2009
Vicvelcro

Try unplugging the modem from the router, power off the modem. Plug the modem directly into one of the computers and power the modem back on. Visit ipchicken again and see what you get. Report the results back here, please.
Old 10-21-2009
Threadstarter  

ok this is what ive found i dissconected everything from my computer waited connected again to the computer got a new i.p great - but i also got that same new i.p when i now connected to my laptop do but think i can get two different i.ps one for the computer one for the laptop so i can use them both at the same time or will i have to use them one after the other? meaning i would have to use the computer then dissconect the modem then connect again and use the laptop. very time consuming
Old 10-21-2009
Threadstarter  

also when i use the computer do i need to sign out and clear my cookies first - before i dissconect everything and then connect back to use my laptop?
Old 10-21-2009
Vicvelcro

If your modem connects to your router, your internet IP will be assigned to the ROUTER. Regardless of which PC plugs in, the IP will be the same UNTIL you reset it. You could get different IPs if you connect differnetly:

Example:
Modem to router = IP1 (the IP given to router will be shared to any computers connected)
Modem to Computer 1 = IP2
Modem to Computer 2 = IP3

If you only have one modem, you will have to swap it around to get different IPs. There's no good way around it unless you want to pay extra to upgrade your service to business class and have your ISP assign dedicated static IPs to each CPE unit. If you choose that option, you would get separate IPs, but they would never ever change. PC1=IP1 and PC2=IP2 in that setup.

You could get another modem. Connect one to each computer and each would have a different IP.

You won't need to clear cookies etc if you use separate windows user accounts.

Perhaps you could tell us what it is you want to do. What are you trying to achieve? You may be trying to reach a solution to your bottom line problem by doing things the hard way.

Do you simply want separate IPs so you can stealth your way into ecommerce? Or do you absolutely require separate IPs for each computer? Maybe consider doing all your ecommerce from one computer and use your other computer for everything that isn't ecommerce?

I do all my ecommerce from one machine. I use different windows user accounts for each online login and I change IP as needed. I do everything else on a different PC and thus have no concern which IP is active when doing typical things.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
surcerouche (10-22-2009)
Old 10-22-2009
Threadstarter  

well everything is good really i guess ill be swapping everytime i just wanted to be able to have both my ebay accounts open one on the laptop one on my home pc and be selling and buying at the same time with different i.ps
Old 10-22-2009

Longevity: 84%

Dear Vicvelcro
Can you tell me how often you have to change your IP in one day? it seems to me like it is a lot of work if you have 5+ accounts.
Lets say you receive question to each one and they later on eventuate into sales. How do you promptly react to the sale or question?
Are you using a management toll like auctiva or inkfrog to do most of the work?
Could you share with me?
Thank you upfront
Old 10-22-2009
Vicvelcro

You won't be able to get 2 IPs from one modem simultaneously. You can get one, then drop it and get another. In order to have 2 IPs active at the exact same time, you need 2 modems, each connected to the appropriate computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haorichards View Post
well everything is good really i guess ill be swapping everytime i just wanted to be able to have both my ebay accounts open one on the laptop one on my home pc and be selling and buying at the same time with different i.ps
Old 10-22-2009
Vicvelcro

I change my IP at least 20 times each day. It takes about 20 seconds to do so each time. So combined total time involved hopping from IP to IP is 5-10 minutes bottom line.

I pretty much ignore questions. I react to the sale by making a label and shipping the goods. I don't often socialize with buyers.

I don't use any tools for managing listings. I've tried plenty of them, and they all are more hassle to me than I am willing to tolerate. I don't need them for the purpose that others do. I have my own solutions.

I use Firefox, USPS Shipping Assistant, Avery Label Pro, and once in a great while maybe a website to do a one time job. Inkfrog, Vendio, Auctiva, and other similar sites are good for some people, just not for me. My stealth needs are accomodated via multiple internet connections, an LLC umbrella, windows user accounts, good plugins for FireFox, and my physical addresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmasarovic View Post
Dear Vicvelcro
Can you tell me how often you have to change your IP in one day? it seems to me like it is a lot of work if you have 5+ accounts.
Lets say you receive question to each one and they later on eventuate into sales. How do you promptly react to the sale or question?
Are you using a management toll like auctiva or inkfrog to do most of the work?
Could you share with me?
Thank you upfront
Old 10-22-2009

Longevity: 85%
Default Two Scenarios

I'm kind of in the same boat as the Original poster. Please assist.
I have two desktops plus the one at work.
I've gotten the Stealth Book. I have different user accounts the whole nine
yards. I prefer Amazon to ebay for what I sell. I just see more traffic with Amazon.
Now, all is well.
I got a brand new laptop recently. Plugged it in....dang it...I got the same IP address as the ones I swap out at home.
Ok, so I decided to post a question about that on here. I got great advice.
Get Dial up. That's no problem, except with all this new fangled technology I have no land line that actually comes from out of a phone socket in my wall.
My phone service is from Comcast.
So I decided to get a majicjack, but then I googled it and it would have to be hooked up to my computer, therefore no new IP address.
I cannot change my IPs with the instructions...I tried it was a disaster.
So, here is my two scenarios, please tell me which I should pursue.
A
Go to the library, set up ebay and amazon accounts there, then go through auctiva with my laptop when I get home.
or
B
the example Vic just laid out.
disconnect the modem to allow it to reset
then hook my laptop directly into the modem when working on those
new accounts because it will give me a new ip.
Any assistance would be great. I wanted to start the laptop accounts
today.
Old 10-22-2009
Vicvelcro

Don't use a library except in the most dire of circumstances.

Regardless of your internet IP, if you connect a magicjack and use that for dialup, the dialup will have its own IP.

Being that you are a Comcast customer, you can change your cable internet IP in under 20 seconds. The easiest way for you would be to power-down the modem, connect it directly to the ethernet port of your computer, then power up the modem. Check the IP from IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup

Power-down the modem and connect it to the ethernet of your other computer. Power-up the modem, and go to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup again. Compare the IP addresses.

You can do the same thing quickly using a router. Connect the modem to the router. Whenever you need a new IP, go into the router setup, change the router WAN MAC and save the change, reboot the router and the modem.
surcerouche (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009

Thanks Vic.
So, if I get like netzero and PeoplePC dial up. Install that on my computer,
it will give me another ip address as well?

Last edited by surcerouche; 10-23-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2009
Vicvelcro

Correct.

Example:
Your broadband IP = 68.24.24.24 (hypothetical)
Your magicjack as dialup to Netzero ignores ^that^ IP and obtains a different IP
Same thing applies for any other dialup. AOL, PeoplePC, AT&T, EarthLink....
It's a layered thing. Your broadband still has an IP, but the dialup never sees it, so if you use the dialup to connect, only the dialup IP is visible.
surcerouche (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009

Cool. Thanks again.