Do paypal and ebay do credit checks? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-14-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Do paypal and ebay do credit checks?

I am curious if paypal or ebay do credit checks on account holders or not? It is something I would like to know, if anyone can tell me that would be great
I mean if you made a stealth account with ⊗⊗⊗⊗ information and they ran a credit check on the account it would return null. So whats the deal?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-15-2010

Longevity: 78%

You answered your own question, as they state they use two credit check companies, but a lot of people go their whole life without ever having a credit history.

There are a few things they can check in the UK that are mainly to do with where you live, but most records are confidential.

I am just wondering how hard it would be to create a background, in case they start searching in the same way they do in the US. I do not suppose it would be that hard, as those sort of records are always going to be easy to manipulate.
Old 11-16-2010
Threadstarter  

in the US they have SSN in UK we do not have this only a credit check, which can be manipulated. True some people have no or little credit history.
Old 11-17-2010

There is still information available in the UK but probably not as much as in the US. But the company they are using in the US is not looking for confidential information, they are gathering info from other sources, even the likes of facebook and twitter or any of those sites you sign into and forget to tick the "I don't want spam" tick box.

Which makes it great for the Americans, as they can search the same sources and even create an ID background by using those sorts of sites or building around those that already exist.

I think the only real info in the UK is the voting register, which is accessible but if all your ID's are for people of a certain age group then they will not be on the voting register.

As far as I can tell they do not even have access to the DVLA list the same way as banks and other organizations do, so they have no way to confirm that the ID you send is real or not, which basically makes any attempt from ebay or paypal trying to look into who you are a bit of a joke.

From what I gather reading on here none of what you send them means anything and your manner when contacting them is probably more important. A little bit of confidence and a lot of yes sir no sir seems to be the thing that does it.
Old 11-17-2010
Threadstarter  

amazing 115 people viewed this post and not one reply :P

yeah I thought about the electrol roll and that they cant really check if the id is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or not. And I have noticed they have introduced some new system on the verify the account information. I think that is cross checking it with the electrol roll and that is kinda stupid as people move in and out all the time and the information is not updated.

Then again saying this information maybe paypal be reading this and making more surer ways to counter it.
Old 11-17-2010

I don't think they really want to, as if they wanted to stop us they could in a second, I think it is just a case of making it look like they are doing something.

"We are the secure place to buy as we do all this" sort of thing.
Old 11-19-2010
Threadstarter  

I suppose, however have additional security would slow them down and with the likes of google, amazon and taobao I think they will have to lift these limits which is cutting there own throats.
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
I am curious if paypal or ebay do credit checks on account holders or not? It is something I would like to know, if anyone can tell me that would be great
I mean if you made a stealth account with ⊗⊗⊗⊗ information and they ran a credit check on the account it would return null. So whats the deal?
hi, i am sorry to say this but they of course do credit check on people, especially when they're first lifting the amount of money that you can receive.

they did this to me. i have just seen it view days ago. while i was looking at my credit online: you see it too: just do credit check on yourself online and you will see whoever did credit check on you including your banks.

their name will show and the time they did the credit check.

if i think about it though, i would say they don't get much information, they will just see if you had credit problems and staff. that is what i think, anyway.

but, i still ask the same question: if you open a stealth account how would they do the credit check? or do they do the credit check by only using your bank numbers.....####?
i can assure you that they do the credit check!!!!!! at least, here in the UK.
Old 11-19-2010

They can't use your bank numbers, as that is private info, which a company has to guard with their life.

They can only use your name, your DOB and your address. I do not even think they can use your telephone number.
Old 11-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

OP, you need to be aware of the definition of CREDIT CHECK.

In the UK (as in the USA) there are two types.

A 'hard' credit check is used to determine suitability, eligibilty for loans, mortages, Court Judgements etc. Notation as to the details is entered against the name
A 'soft' credit check is done more or less to confrim a name, DOB. Notation there is that the bank or whatever party 'looked' or 'checked' but not much more.
Old 11-21-2010
Threadstarter  

So this is a problem then? If they can do a credit check and it returns null and you have money in your paypal account. They can just give the half ways email?
Old 11-21-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I'm in the USA and I don't know how the system works in the UK, but they have to have SOME WAY of identifying people. I mean, you guys can get credit cards and everything, right?

My question would be, when you look at an application for, say MasterCard, it asks for your name, address, phone, income data, etc. Is there any type of identifying number they ask for?

Here in the US, when you run a credit check and do NOT have an SSN, you can sometimes get bad information. For example, John Smith Jr and John Smith Sr live at the same address - or there is a large building and two persons with the same name live there, or lived there at one time.

A few years ago, a US Senator introduced a bill in Congress that would have made it illegal for any private company or individual to use an SSN for anything other than reporting taxes, or purposes related to Social Security or Disability benefits. The credit reporting industry lobbied furiously against this, and it never passed. But I noticed that while this was being debated, the credit bureaus all came up with their own identifying numbers for individuals. I'm sure this was done so that if the law passed, they would still have something in place to uniquely identify people.

Reed Elsevier is based in the UK (I believe) and it is probably the largest data furnisher in the world. They own Lexis-Nexis, which does public information VERY WELL without the SSN.