name variation enough? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 03-14-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default name variation enough?

hi all,

about to re-read stealth again etc before i go live soon- just read a few threads with people advising newbies to check things through here on the forums before doing so as it's much easier to make adjustments to save errors before they happen rather than trying to salvage already-ruined new accts!

got new email, new phone #, all the basics etc, the question i have is regarding bank acc/address/name. i've recently moved (well, now based more perm at a second address), so just thought am i actually good to go in non-stealth mode at this new address, with a new bank acct, if all i do is a name variation of my current name? or is that not good enough and might raise red flags?

things to bear in mind: my new address is very close (not like next door, but literally a matter of roads away) to the banned one, and the name variation is obviously good, but not great (there's only so much you can do with the name you're given lol). accurate analogy:

banned:
william morety
10 the willows, TW10 6TH
acct 22-22-22 33-33-33

new:
will morety
12 the dales, TW10 5GY
acct 44-44-44 55-55-55

might sound like a basic concern, and i can't really see any problems but something tells me it's too easy.... the example i've written above is of course made-up but 'accurate' in it's comparitive qualities:

the name variation i would be using is about as similar as that example: same surname- and it's something as 'random' as the example given, i.e. not your average common name like 'smith' or 'jones' etc it's more recognisable- so just a shortening of the first name is the only change made (compared to the suspended acct)
and likewise the comparitive qualities of the address is as similar as in the example: the first part of the postcode is actually the same (as suspended acct), only the end is different
bank acct: new acct so new card, sort code, acct number, etc.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-14-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 71%

I would change the name a bit more

Something like bill morretti - then it just looks like a misspell

P.S. hope they're not real address and post codes
Old 03-14-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 70%

i wouldn't just concentrate on a main non stealth, i'd make both just incase..
Old 03-14-2012
Threadstarter  

^^ noneother (no i made them up myself lol so if they are real they're accidental!
the analogy in terms of their similarity having the same first bit only a diff last bit is what i wanted to get across) re: name variation, yes i was thinking of the misspell, however the reason i didn't/haven't opted for this so far is that if this could indeed be a real account,.
i'm thinking of the future when i come to lifting limits etc: a mis-spell would be more problematic to get round than a shortening: if asked to supply docs or to verify something at some point in the future- which of course happens with real accts all the time as well as stealth- a simple, natural shortening of the name wouldn't raise red flags (it would be just natural and seen all the time william registering as will, etc), but i'm guessing an outright mis-spell would raise a lot more.

out of interest in your opinion why did you recommend the misspell? are the worries expressed in my OP well-founded?
Old 03-14-2012
Executive [VIP]

It was only a suggestion based on your post.

Ideally for stealth everything should be different, everything. Variations may work but for true stealth it should all be different.

Any similarities can still link you. e/b & p/p are not stupid! Din't ever think they are because it may come back and bite you.

Its as easy to change details completely on docs as is it to slightly amend them.

Most experienced users on here will tell you the same
Old 03-14-2012
Threadstarter  

yes i agree re: eb and pp wariness- think many people on here have experienced being bitten unexpectedly.

thanks for your advice.
the irony is, the new details ARE genuine! lol... you couldn't make the situation up could you!....
the new address literally is just round the corner hence only final part of postcode different, the new bank acct is totally different, so it's just the name that i'm to-ing and fro-ing about- and in regards to your post "
Its as easy to change details completely on docs as is it to slightly amend them" this is the thing, because if i go ahead with name variation, what you've written would never arise: i would literally just be able to submit docs as normal, non-stealth, as the name would simply be a (real) shortening of my real one.

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems the moment you move away from name variation is when you need to start getting creative. surely if i CAN keep an acct totally legit, i should? if i've got legit new bank acct, legit new ad, legit name variation (natural common shortening of my real one) surely it's worth trying to keep the whole thing legit unless forced to do otherwise? it does sounds ok to me.... but like i said in OP possibly too good to be true....
Old 03-14-2012
Executive [VIP]

It's up to you but why give e/b your real info albeit a variation and then supply them with real docs?

What happens then if you get suspended again?

Go stealth now not after another suspension.

Advice is what it is, advice. But all based on many experienced users experiences. Stealth work is you go stealth, there are no half measures.
Old 03-14-2012

Hi Diamonda..i did exactly the same as you..new everything..computer..address banks everything and because i used my own name again(from a banned acct over 12 months ago) pinged straight away, why waste a perfectly good situation re new accts and all other details by using the same name..easy enough to change submitted docs to suit you if it comes to that, if you did have to submit docs in your own un-doctered surname in the future chances are you would get picked up then if not when setting up the acct..hope my penny helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonda View Post
yes i agree re: eb and pp wariness- think many people on here have experienced being bitten unexpectedly.

thanks for your advice.
the irony is, the new details ARE genuine! lol... you couldn't make the situation up could you!.... the new address literally is just round the corner hence only final part of postcode different, the new bank acct is totally different, so it's just the name that i'm to-ing and fro-ing about- and in regards to your post " Its as easy to change details completely on docs as is it to slightly amend them" this is the thing, because if i go ahead with name variation, what you've written would never arise: i would literally just be able to submit docs as normal, non-stealth, as the name would simply be a (real) shortening of my real one. correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems the moment you move away from name variation is when you need to start getting creative. surely if i CAN keep an acct totally legit, i should? if i've got legit new bank acct, legit new ad, legit name variation (natural common shortening of my real one) surely it's worth trying to keep the whole thing legit unless forced to do otherwise? it does sounds ok to me.... but like i said in OP possibly too good to be true....
Old 03-14-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Name variation is never enough coupled with the closeness of the (new) address.

So B4 you start there are two factors that might link you.

Not too good a choice
Old 03-14-2012

Longevity: 87%

everything needs to change.
Old 03-15-2012

I recently opened a new paypal but had to use my own name due to the bank account name having to match the paypal to withdraw funds. Result ended in - limited account due to them linking me to my old limited account - doh! More money frozen :(

How are you guys withdrawing funds from Paypal if the name needs to match the name on the bank account? Are you opening the bank account in 'stealth' names?
Old 03-15-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

^^generally the name does not need to match the bank account, with exception of Llyods
Old 03-15-2012

Thank you for the quick reply. Oh right, I thought it had to or the Paypal account would get limited... sooooooooo annoyed, I had a Ebay account with 100% positive feedback and no selling restrictions! I really should've done more research. Can I ask what type of Paypal is best to open? Premier or Business?
Old 03-15-2012

Longevity: 84%

i have a suspended account in my own details, name, address,dob that was suspended 7 years ago, i created another one with exactly the same details apart from i used my first iniitial "T" instead of my full name "TOM" and that account has been running for 6 years, now thats LUCKY
Old 03-15-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Same details? Yes - seems like you have also operated safely - well done.
Old 03-15-2012

Longevity: 84%
Red face

it was many years ago when i was a newbie and didnt really understand the "mechanics of it all"
Old 03-16-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhitchy View Post
Hi Diamonda..i did exactly the same as you..new everything..computer..address banks everything and because i used my own name again(from a banned acct over 12 months ago) pinged straight away, why waste a perfectly good situation re new accts and all other details by using the same name..easy enough to change submitted docs to suit you if it comes to that, if you did have to submit docs in your own un-doctered surname in the future chances are you would get picked up then if not when setting up the acct..hope my penny helps
thanks for everyone's advice- funny because the guide states that name alone is not enough to link you, i.e. name variation together with new ad and bank acct = should be fine, but replies on here are saying the opposite, that name variation is never enough, even together with these two other factors being fresh and new.

they_screwed_me_too : can't believe your luck! such a variation of tales in this thread from the insane luck of your situ, to the likes of redhitchy's acct going down the pan straight away- what a bizarre place eb is. don't want this account to go down, so sounds like i should forget any form of name variation and just go totally stealth name.