Access to address, name to use? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 07-30-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default Access to address, name to use?

Setting up new stealth acct, and aware that eb now (not saying they always do, am saying it's happened and is happening) send letters to lift limits, plus need id/address verfication at certain points, etc, etc.
registering new acct with a new address that I DO have access to.
Am allowed (for lack of a better word) to use the name/details of person living there, same for setting up the pp obviously, etc- the whole acct.

(Please, no lectures as to not mix business with pleasure/use friends details etc- already have this knowledge and advice from reading the forums tirelessly for over a year- basically, please don't base answers to the following question on this aspect "do not jeopardise your friends details" etc, as everyone has a unique situ, and is not relevant in this case.)

What are the benefits/disadvantages of going either way?
I.e. : At what point will it become apparent/start to cause problems/show a a clear difference in ease of moving forward with selling (either from the eb or pp side) when using the real name/details of the real person, living at the real ad, compared to using stealth name/details, of the stealth person, but still with the real ad?

To be clear: I always have access to the address, and the person living there, Mr Smith.
So interested to know at what point along the line it starts to get tricky/stealth needs to be involved when comparing the 2 situs: Mr Smith, with all Mr Smith's details name on bank acct, etc, living at Mr Smiths house, vs. Mr Jones, with all Mr Jones details name on bank acct etc, living at Mr Smith's house.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 71%

Very confusing post!
Old 07-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

access to address is one thing, ie you can get mail there possibly ONCE for the infamous
welcome letter. However doubt there is any need to use the occupants name.

It is hard to advise unless we know the exact relationship and method or extent you can get access, if you do not want to reveal here, maybe we can trash it out via pm....as I am a fan of eloquent UK forumers like yourself...
Old 07-30-2012
Threadstarter  

^^^ haha, thanks oompa
noneother: apologies, it's actually very simple and thought it read as such so im sorry, let's use the 'can i start an account in my friend's details' as the base point, and simply assume that although advice against this is generally 'no, don't do it', in this case just discard the generalised advice.

I am asking for the difference, in terms of where it becomes relevant, to pp/eb or both, and what the disadvantages/advantages/difficulties might be in comparing two situations: considering I know Mr Smith, who lives at Mr Smith's address (I have constant access to him and the address) and can do one of the following for new acct:
1) I can state that Mr Smith, lives at Mr Smith's address, and provide all Mr Smith's details registering with pp (address, date of birh, etc) so all legit, only stealth thing being the bank acct thing (a given) .
2) I can state that a made-up Mr Jones lives at Mr Smith's address, and provide all Mr Jones stealth details EXCEPT keeping the address, which is real (Mr Smith's).
Old 07-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

What's the serious point of asking discussion when you have made your own decision?

Old 07-31-2012
Executive [VIP]

well, cue Sunday family lunch and the quip that I got my sisters details banned from ebay/paypal and she had to get married and move to remove curse...(exaggerated but makes for boring family joke) This was before joining the forum.

but yes, the consequences are things like getting traced, even via name and town for debt, copyright issues, customers somehow tracing.

If you run the account as cleanly as poss you stand a better chance, but I personally believe a friend/relative has the right to know what could happen under their name.
GreenBean (07-31-2012), NoneOther (07-31-2012), Stigger (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
If you run the account as cleanly as poss you stand a better chance, but I personally believe a friend/relative has the right to know what could happen under their name.
first part of your post gave me a good giggle :D reminds me of another great thread recently about a forum poster realising in hindsight how many of his customers muct have been banned/suspended from eb after using the poster's own ebay ip/computer system when there in their shop making payments online on that pc.
as for the above, they do know- just no point going into the whole personal/long-winded story- even more, put it this way: they're actually surprised the acct is not already up and running lol.

It's just a question of what the risks are/disadvantages/benefits in making up a person's name who lives at that real address (electoral roll probs? verification down the line?) or using the name of the actual real person who lives at that real address. think the closest reponse I got was oompa's a few posts back- the welcome letter- but like oompa, I agree- this could be addressed to any random name at that ad and I'd still get access to it, so am thinking what the real advans/disadvans are and how the problems in the future will differ if I go either way....
Old 07-31-2012
Executive [VIP]

oh yes, got carried away on the negs and omitted the main positives..

real details has been discussed before on subs and if this thread gets moved you will not see it.....essentially one 'may' enable bypass of the £1900 limit, BUT in my experience they look at substantial use as a buying account, may examine tracking signatures etc too (just my hunch)
However ID WILL be requested at some point, sometimes at the year review or if a flag comes up like a large sum all at once, that is something you have to think through in advance.

also a returns address if you do not want to pay for a po box.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 07-31-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
essentially one 'may' enable bypass of the £1900 limit, BUT in my experience they look at substantial use as a buying account, may examine tracking signatures etc too (just my hunch)

also a returns address if you do not want to pay for a po box.
that's the main one (passing pp recv limit) that cropped up in my mind when trying to work out where the two possibilities start to diverge in requirements/outcomes, that all docus could be provided no problem. 'substantial use as a buying acct' throws a spanner in the works though as would only ever be selling on this acct...

"However ID WILL be requested at some point, sometimes at the year review or if a flag comes up like a large sum all at once, that is something you have to think through in advance."

Yes agree, very reason for post- am thinking through in advance where the differences of using either start to differ from each other and become apparent- real id no probs, and returns to that address also no probs: i always have access to ad.
So it seems that the only difference between using real name at real ad and stealth name at that real ad is when it comes to the ID lift rec limits where the former would give the obvious advantage??
just a bit wary of inventing a name of person, when using a real address (with current inhabitants)....stealth name @ stealth address fine, real name @ real address fine, it's the mixing of the two stealth name @ real address that I'm trying to get my head around.
Old 08-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

TBH I would be more concerned at using the real name at the real address rather than using a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name at a real address I have access to.

For me it's a no brainer, stealth should have no ones real name involved in it and docs are not an issue that is insurmountable.
Old 08-01-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 85%

Take Noneother's advice and make sure you have access to the address.

The £1900 receiving limit is fairly easy to sort. PM admin if you need help with this.
Old 08-02-2012
Threadstarter  

Thanks all ^^ oh yeah I am, think that's the single point I've repeated in every single one of the posts "I DO have access to the ad", it was the name to use- thanks for all advice- seems like the only difference appears to be at the point at which docs are required (surmountable) so seems like real name is a bit of a waste (had thought there might be more clear advantages of real name @ real ad than there appear to be) and might as well as use stealth.
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Stealth name works better. Saves dramas should things go pearshaped.

Now could you please start practising using punctuation and sentences in your posts?

Veryhardotread yourwords

Old 08-02-2012
Threadstarter  

?! Assuming the above wasn't meant for me/was a joke, as my post was a brief four-liner and accordingly, was punctuated perfectly- reads exactly as should.
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

It was not a joke

Sadly, some users are having troubles reading your posts.

Merely a suggestion.
Ebayorbust (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012
Threadstarter  

I don't get it. Read it through 6 times, punctuated perfectly, reads exactly as should. Would love to know how, and where, it makes no sense- no-one commented on it anywhere- and I certainly dont jointogethermywords so don't know where that curveball came from either.
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonda View Post
Thanks all ^^ oh yeah I am, think that's the single point I've repeated in every single one of the posts "I DO have access to the ad", it was the name to use- thanks for all advice- seems like the only difference appears to be at the point at which docs are required (surmountable) so seems like real name is a bit of a waste (had thought there might be more clear advantages of real name @ real ad than there appear to be) and might as well as use stealth.

Do not use details of any REAL person either with (or even worse without) their permission. Do not use slight variations of your real name. There is no need to do this and only increases the chances of being linked.

Create a random ficticious name and dob and use this. As above, doc requests can be overcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebayorbust For This Useful Post:
bansheezone (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

i understand stealth name is better but how do you accept returns with that system??
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbislimjim View Post
i understand stealth name is better but how do you accept returns with that system??
Always have access to the address. US users have the better advantage of having PO boxes.
Old 08-02-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 75%

Another trick is to use any address you want (United States I am speaking of, may work in other countries not sure ) then put in a change of address online from the post office for the 1.00 fee and have your mail forwarded to where you live or want it...

Totally legal.
Old 08-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonda View Post
?! Assuming the above wasn't meant for me/was a joke, as my post was a brief four-liner and accordingly, was punctuated perfectly- reads exactly as should.
Two commas in a three line post, couldn't say all that in one breath

At least you are now getting the point about real/⊗⊗⊗⊗ names.

No advantage in using real names, only trouble ahead later.

Last edited by NoneOther; 08-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2012

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearerpipes View Post
Another trick is to use any address you want (United States I am speaking of, may work in other countries not sure ) then put in a change of address online from the post office for the 1.00 fee and have your mail forwarded to where you live or want it...

Totally legal.
Doesn't work in UK mate.

The post office will send a redirection form to the address in question warning them their mail is getting redirected.