why UK ebay won't allow me to sell - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 09-04-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default why UK ebay won't allow me to sell

from last week, when i open a UK ebay account and try to sell something, ebay keep asking me to link a verified paypal account. i used skype to verify phone and used vitrul credit card. can anybody know why this happens and how to sort out the problem. thanks the follwoing is the message from ebay

Please read. Your response is required.
As a precaution, we have limited the activity on your eBay account until we receive additional verification information from you. We sometimes need to do this to make sure that eBay remains a place where members can buy and sell with confidence.

To have this restriction lifted, you need to become PayPal Verified* and then link your verified PayPal account to your eBay account. Once you've completed this process, you'll be able to sell on any eBay site worldwide.

If you're already PayPal Verified, you just need to link your verified PayPal account to your eBay account. For instructions, please click the link below for the eBay site you're registered on.

Australia | Austria| Belgium| Belgium French| Canada| Canada French | France | Germany| Hong Kong| India | Ireland| Italy| Malaysia | Netherlands| New Zealand | Philippines| Poland| Singapore | Spain | Switzerland | Taiwan | United Kingdom| United States| Other

*If you're registered on Germany, Austria, or Switzerland, you can complete verification through PostIdent or ID Verify instead of PayPal. Please click the link for the site you registered on for instructions.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-04-2008

I think one of your problems is you're using Skype for phone verification. Don't you know that Skype is owned by eBay? They're sharing information.

If you want a high-level overview of what you should do to correctly create new Fleebay/PP accounts, check this out.

If you want more detail, I seriously recommend you purchase the eBay Stealth ebook.
Old 09-04-2008
Threadstarter  

i used skype to verify ebay last month and it was ok. problem happens from last week, please help
Old 09-04-2008

Sometimes it takes a while for them to link accounts. Stay away from Skype.
Old 09-05-2008

Longevity: 93%

This stipulation has been in force in the UK for quite a while now, you cannot sell without a linked paypal account and if ebay suspect something, ie your name matches a previously suspended user etc, they won't let you sell until you link a verified paypal account.
Old 09-06-2008

Longevity: 92%
Default Ebay requires Verified Paypal account

I am having that problem too now. I have used Entropay for my credit card (with £7.00 credit on it) and purchased a telephone number from voipfone.

I have opened 2 eBay accounts and both times it says that my account has been limited and will be until I link a verified Paypal account to it.

Is this another one of eBay's attempts to stop people opening multiple accounts or am I doing something wrong? I am wondering whether it is because I have used a number from Voipfone. Also maybe I haven't put enough credit on my Entropay card.

I would be interested to know if there is a way around this and if anybody could advise I would be very grateful.

Thanks guys...
Old 09-06-2008

It could be Voipfone: Cant use VOIP for paypal anymore
Old 09-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardiscentral View Post
Is this another one of eBay's attempts to stop people opening multiple accounts or am I doing something wrong? I am wondering whether it is because I have used a number from Voipfone. Also maybe I haven't put enough credit on my Entropay card.
Did you follow all the steps regarding opening a new ebay account, ie every single detail must be different to your previous ebay account, did you also remove cookies and change your ip address?, also credit on your entropay card has nothing to do with it, the minimum £5 is fine for verification.
Old 09-06-2008

Longevity: 97%

The situation could be with your Paypal account, is it definitely verified? Are there any outstanding issues with your Paypal account?
Old 09-06-2008

Hi,
Yes I set up the eBay accounts correctly - i.e. changed IP address, new ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name and address etc, new prepaid credit card from Entropay, Gmail email address and telephone number from Voipfone.

I haven't opened a Paypal account yet - I was hoping to get eBay up and running before I did that. However I don't think that has anything to do with it. I am not new to this game and I have been able to open a number of eBay accounts over recent months without having a verified Paypal account set up initially. I am not selling Vero or designer items so I can't work it out.

I believe it is probably because I have used Voipfone for my telephone number. I will try again with a number from elsewhere and will report back on my success
Old 09-07-2008

Ok I have tried this again using an Entropay card and this time a payphone instead of Voipfone and am sorry to say that the same thing is happening - I cannot list anything until I link a verified Paypal account and am getting the same message as ebayoo has been getting.

I have opened numerous eBay accounts in the recent past and have not had this problem. I am not trying to sell Vero or designer items so I know that it is not that. I am only trying to list some postcards.

I can now only assume that either Entropay can no longer be used on eBay or eBay have changed their system again to make it harder to open multiple accounts.

Is anybody else having this problem??? I hope we can sort this out as it will cause major problems for many eBayers otherwise!!! Surely eBay can't have gone this far can they? - they will surely lose lots of business if they have.
Old 09-07-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Have you not yet realized that to sell on ebay UK you need a verified paypal account. ebay UK do not give a toss what you want to sell, they want paypal used.
This change started in March. You can make ebay accounts until they come out of your eyeballs but if there is no verified paypal account you will not manage to sell. This has been mentioned before ad nauseam.

This next comment is for all posting here and moaning 'I can not sell on ebay UK, etc etc etc. MAKE & VERIFY YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO SELL ANYTHING That brings you 50% closer to success.

Last edited by GreenBean; 09-07-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2008

Greenbean,

Thank you for your response but I have not had any problems using unverified Paypal accounts to sell on eBay UK until this week.

I have opened a number of new eBay accounts over recent weeks (after March 2008)
and have been able to list items on eBay (with the exception of some VERO and designer items, Tiffany and Gucci for example, which eBay have blocked). After selling my items the funds would eventually arrive in my unverified Paypal account and I would then either send them to my verified Paypal or spend them. Once I reach the limit I would then move onto to another eBay account.

Can I just ask whether you use eBay UK or do you use the US site? I am sure I am correct here. Although paypal must now be accepted by sellers I do not believe eBay have made it law that sellers must have a verified paypal account (at least not straight away anyway).

I appreciate that ideally a verified Paypal account should be allocated to each eBay account but in the UK it is risky opening a number of bank accounts to verify Paypal accounts.

I would be grateful if anybody in the UK can be kind enough to let me know their experiences. If I am wrong fair enough but I do not believe I am.
Old 09-07-2008
Executive [VIP]

I am selling on ebay UK. Made an account in mid-August. Until I verified paypal I could not sell. I created the ebay account without a verified paypal as a test. i do not use a merchant account in the UK.
I do use a Bank that allows several bank accounts and this is a help.

Last edited by GreenBean; 09-07-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2008

Ok as a test I have just successfully listed a VHS video cassette on an eBay account I opened in late April 2008 which has no verified Paypal account linked to it. Hopefully this proves that I am right and sellers can list without a verified Paypal.

I can only assume therefore that either :

1. Entropay can no longer be used to register as a seller on eBay UK
2. eBay UK have very recently changed their system for people opening new accounts - all new accounts must have a verified Paypal account linked to it
3. Both Voipfone and payphones no longer work for registering as an eBay seller
4. I am doing something wrong (to be fair I have never until now used Entropay to register as an eBay seller so this is possible).

The eBay account I opened in April was not opened using Entropay. If I remember correctly I used 3VCash for that one. I am starting to think that eBay have picked up on Entropay as there are a few posts on the forum over recent days with people having problems.

I am going to try registering with a different pre-paid card to see if that helps...
Old 09-08-2008

tardiscentral, you are right to an extent, on one of my zero feedback accounts, which didn't have a fully verified paypal account linked to it, I was able to list and sell without any problems, on another similar account, when I tried to list I got the message that I need to verify and link my paypal account to my ebay account before they would let me list, so unless ebay are working off some unknown parameters regarding which account can sell with verified paypal and which can't it does seem to be a random occurence.

I will also add that entropay is working fine for me, last account I verified with entropay was yesterday.
Old 09-08-2008
Executive [VIP]

I wonder if it is the value of the item being listed? I am still not having problems with entropay.
Comments?
Old 09-09-2008

Thanks for your comments. It is very strange and I have only encountered the problem over the last few days. Hopefully it isn't anything to worry about but I will get working on some verified Paypal accounts just in case.
Old 09-16-2008
Threadstarter  

hi tardiscentral
do you have any success on open a new UK ebay account without a verified paypal account, please let me know

thanks
Old 09-16-2008

There is nothing stopping you opening new ebay or paypal accounts, however on some new account ebay will only allow you to list once your paypal account has been verified, the only way to find out is to try and list something.
Old 09-16-2008
Threadstarter  

dear

as you are in UK, have you recently tried to open a new UK ebay account with unverified paypal account and can you sell anything, because i have tried it by using VPN and i can sell nothing

thanks
Old 09-17-2008

I can't begin to tell you what a bad idea it is to post your e-mail address on a public forum.