PayPal expanded use number -Newbie needing help! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-18-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Question PayPal expanded use number -Newbie needing help!

Hi Everyone

Am brandee new and firstly a big HELLO to you all along with much thanks for all the help & advice on the forum.

I'm just about to register a new Ebay/PP account after being suspended several months ago and I have a couple of questions I can't find answers to on the site. If anyone can help - would be mucho grateful!

Firstly I've got a virtual number, but I've now read some of the posts and feel a bit concerned about it. I'm using Gizmo which allows me to re-direct calls from the virtual number DIRECTLY to my landline. I tested this today and it works. This means I can type in the verification number which PayPal give me on the dialpad on my landline doesn't it? Am I correct in thinking that my only concern should be that I have a re-cycled number - possibly from a suspended account or will I also be unable to type in the verification number?

Secondly, I am having to use a prepaid mastercard. The problem with this is obtaining the expanded use number from PayPal when I want to increase my limits. ALL the pre-paid cards I have looked at so far - require you to enter a 14 digit reference number (from the back of the card), before you can add funds/top up/re-load the card. :(

If memory serves me correctly, there is nowhere during the PayPal process that allows you to enter this sort of information - I thought you could only enter your card details/name etc. So, my thinking is that when PayPal deposit money onto the card along with the expanded use number which I need - it won't actually reach my card - because there will be no reference number attached to it!

Has anyone else used a prepaid card & if so, how did you get around this - or does anyone know if there IS a way to input this reference number via PayPal?

Hoping someone has some advice....

Cheers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-18-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%
Default paypal

hi
virtual landline number is to create seller ebay account, you get automated call with 4 digit number, it is also useful later on for paypal, as they sometimes up your limits using landline or address verification, again 4 digit code that you input.

ok, paypal asks for card to send expanded use number to, it will ask for long number on front, expiry, cvv, input that and it will appear after about 4 days.

Im not sure why you are incountering these inputting problems, not come across them b4.
Old 11-19-2008
Threadstarter  

Thanks oompaloompa but I don't think I explained the expanded use number thing very well?

In order to get the expuse number PayPal makes 2 small deposits to your credit card and then I haveto input the amount of those deposits into the paypal system so that PayPal knows it IS my card.

The trouble with a pre-paid reloadable card is that they require a reference number when you deposit/upload any money to your card. They give you this reference number BUT I don't think there's any way to insert this into the PayPal system when you apply for expuse - so the paypal deposits don't hit the card and I can't tell them the amount of the deposits.

Hope that's a bit clearer. Was just wondering if someone else had hit the same problem & wondering how they got round it.

Cheers

The trou
Old 11-19-2008
Executive [VIP]

Default expuse

maybe its the vcc you are using? ive not come across this code, I will pm you with alternative.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 11-19-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2008

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd View Post

In order to get the expuse number PayPal makes 2 small deposits to your credit card and then I haveto input the amount of those deposits into the paypal system so that PayPal knows it IS my card.

I think u you have just mixed up bank verification with expanded use number.. paypal only depostis two small amounts in your BANK NOT UR CREDIT CARD.... for credit cards to obtain expanded use number you just give ur 16 digit card number, expiry date, and cvv so that address can be confirmed as well as 1£ is deducted from ur cards balance only to reflect 4 digit expanded use number few days later..

when u add bank account.. paypal depostis two small amounts and then ask u to confirm those to see if u own the bank ..

i hope it cannot be clear than that.. best of luck !!
Old 11-21-2008

Hi Jrd
the ways of getting around paypal and ebay are different from country to country. So i am assuming you are from the uk as your posting in the uk section. I have been reading this forum for some time now and i was on the undrstanding that virtual numbers dont work in the uk. I know of 1 method that is said to be working for paypal/ebay telephone verification for the uk and that is the payphone method. If you look it up you will find it.
About your virtual card then you should use a entropay card as you can change the address and name on each card that you create and this will work for your ⊗⊗⊗⊗ paypal name and address verification.
If you do find that a virtual number is working for you and your in the uk then please share it with us and how you are using this.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2008
Executive [VIP]

Default virtual numbers

virtual numbers do work, unless you are unlucky and get one recycled from a prev susp ebayer.

I dont think it is a good idea to ever give a company name out on forum, pm me, the cheapest one is £38 for one year rental.
Old 11-22-2008

Smile

Hi ommpaloompa do the virtual numbers work for paypal also?

i thought they are ok for ebay but not paypal!!

cheers
Old 11-22-2008

I just did this this morning.. I used a store bought visa card I activated it on line to use on the internet. that means i added name address andphone#. Then when i did paypal, I entered card #, exp date and 3 digit pin.They sent 1.95 to the account as well as a 4 digit code . I went to the account on line and retrieved the information. then went to paypal and verified. It is all that easy.
Old 11-22-2008

Kath
I noticed in a post you mentioned that your from the usa. As the methods vary from the states and the uk I just want to point out that i have read in this forum that the virtual numbers dont work for paypal verification in the uk.
The methods that i know of that work in the uk are.

1. Using your own number which hasnt been used, if you have used it you might be able to verify another but both accounts will then get linked, if one go's down then the other will soon follow.

2. Use a friends number and address or a neighbours who you get along with. Just be careful they havnt used it themselves

3. Use a payphone to verify your account by playing back the tones from a ipod or a mobile phone, which has been said to be still working.

4. there is also a way to verify using a iphone but am not very famillier with this as i dont have one myself, might look into getting one though .

I havnt tried it for a ebay account but have heard that a virtual line works. For paypal this still needs to be confirmed.

I tried to verify my paypal account using a payphone but for me this didnt work. I dont know what ive done wrong.

Instead of paypal asking me to press a number if i was expecting the call they asked me to enter a 4 digit pin. I was lucky as i had my partner sitting on the computer at home and got the number of her. I then pressed in the key tones but it didnt register. I was using a n95 phone and have heard this worked for someone else.

Anyway if there are anyother ways then please let me know as 1 and 2 cant be done by me and 3 didnt work for me. Method 4 well i have to wait till i get a iphone. The virtual phone needs confirming and would be great if it works.
Old 01-20-2009
Threadstarter  

Guyz

Thanks for your help - much appreciated. I have managed to get a PP and Ebay sellers account opened & verified under one ID.

I have opened an Entropay account and would like to get a 2nd card to pay my Ebay UK sellers fees BUT on another ID (it's an old ID with over a 100 feedback but I closed down the PayPal account associated with it 18 months ago).

Has anyone used Entropay in the UK to pay sellers fees? Did it work? And is there any risk of them linking me to the other ID as a result of using a 2nd card created from my default account?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

The second card will have a diiferent number from the default card. Just ensure that you put the name to match the ebay account name.

Also, could you go to your User Cp & put your country flag for your profile. helps for getting
relevant answers
Old 02-02-2009

Longevity: 88%

When I authorized my bank account I was prompted to do it instantly.. enter your user name and password to your bank account.... directly on the pay pal site.... Has anyone done this... is that right?? Seems like they might be getting some extra info that way.... I did it since it was a ligitamate account but going forward...

Advise??
Old 02-02-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

That is a USA thing. Likely your bank is BoA? And yes, it is a practice.
whatshakin (02-03-2009)
Old 02-02-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

Personally I never enter my personal banking information into Paypal for the instant verification.
I always do the 3-4 day deposit thing.
I trust Paypal about as far as I can throw them.
But that is just my personal preference.
whatshakin (02-03-2009)
Old 02-02-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshakin View Post
When I authorized my bank account I was prompted to do it instantly.. enter your user name and password to your bank account.... directly on the pay pal site.... Has anyone done this... is that right?? Seems like they might be getting some extra info that way.... I did it since it was a ligitamate account but going forward...

Advise??
Yeah it's fine, I've done it several times with no issue.