eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay & Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/)
-   -   Cant make sense of selling books (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/85363-cant-make-sense-selling-books.html)

taerese 05-02-2015 12:52 PM

Cant make sense of selling books

Cant make sense of selling books on ebay and I am not sure if its really worth acquiring this stock of 1000 different books (Novels). Seriously, I am contemplating it and I am not sure if peope would be prepared to pay £3 in postage and packaging just for shipping a £1 romance or thriller novel this days?

Any experience in this sector?

Dan T. 05-02-2015 12:55 PM

Re: Cant make sense of selling books

Not gonna turn in a lot of profit, that's what I can say on the subject.

Amazon is the place to sell books on.

JamesNorth101 05-02-2015 12:59 PM

Its a very good way to start an account.

As for making a profit? Not so sure. Have a look at completed auctions and do the maths to see if its worth it for you

Callidus 05-02-2015 01:10 PM

If you can buy enough volume from publishers or wholesalers they'll give you good wholesale discount. Minimum orders are high or you can dropship from them (fees for that ofc)

Good market and lots doing it.

taerese 05-02-2015 01:11 PM

Spot on.. Its not for profit. I dont even mind loosing a few pennies on each sale. Its just to shore up and account to 200 or 250 sales from current standing of 130 sales.

I am only concern if I would be able to ship this stock considering the realistic but unreasonable P&P.

taerese 05-02-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callidus (Post 665297)
If you can buy enough volume from publishers or wholesalers they'll give you good wholesale discount. Minimum orders are high or you can dropship from them (fees for that ofc)

Good market and lots doing it.

Thanks but publishers are not always the cheapest. I will get this lots as low as 4 for £1. No publisher would match that. They are the good old novels we read by in the day... James Hardly chase, Danielle steel e.t.c

RosieTosie 05-02-2015 01:13 PM

There would be better things to start selling, and it is extremely unlikely that ebay buyers would be prepared to pay £3 for shipping as you commented yourself, have a look around your home for things you no longer use. Charity shops can be very useful for finding items to list as well, job lots of key rings can be another idea, and they don't weigh much which is ideal, online auctions can be a good place to find them then just your own photo's of them in your listings.

JamesNorth101 05-02-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taerese (Post 665298)
I am only concern if I would be able to ship this stock considering the realistic but unreasonable P&P.

Look at franking or PPI to bring down postage costs.

Callidus 05-02-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taerese (Post 665300)
Thanks but publishers are not always the cheapest. I will get this lots as low as 4 for £1. No publisher would match that. They are the good old novels we read by in the day... James Hardly chase, Danielle steel e.t.c

Yes if you're talking about backlist then that's a completely different market to what im talking about.

taerese 05-02-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 665302)
Look at franking or PPI to bring down postage costs.

Yeah.. I am considering franking (on the long run) as I am expecting truck load - 5 pallet of goods in a few days.

How much do you think I would need to get started with Franking and how long would it take to setup? Perhaps, any referral would do too.

JamesNorth101 05-02-2015 01:19 PM

I would look into PPI. Its much easier and works out cheaper

PPI Google Search

rsot 05-03-2015 05:34 AM

Definitely you can build feedback with it and good DSRs but generating profit...going to take crazy high amount of volume so it's unlikely but mix it with other profit-generating products

RosieTosie 05-03-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taerese (Post 665304)
Yeah.. I am considering franking (on the long run) as I am expecting truck load - 5 pallet of goods in a few days.

How much do you think I would need to get started with Franking and how long would it take to setup? Perhaps, any referral would do too.

Put franking machines into Google taerese and there are a whole range of prices for franking machines and the costs involved in running them, buying their ink cartridges, the 12 month contracts and the different options there are for using them.

dan_ebay 05-04-2015 07:36 PM

my mum sells book full time, more amazon than ebay. She uses amazon fulfillment service for the ones that sell fast on there. Will be hard to profit as the big sellers are getting huge postage discounts. Can't remember what it is now but think amazon pay less than £1

Callidus 05-05-2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_ebay (Post 666047)
my mum sells book full time, more amazon than ebay. She uses amazon fulfillment service for the ones that sell fast on there. Will be hard to profit as the big sellers are getting huge postage discounts. Can't remember what it is now but think amazon pay less than £1

Yes they do pay less than £1 and they hold little to no stock. They dropship from their UK wholesaler on a fulfillment basis in their own packaging :)