eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay & Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/)
-   -   Sky fibre ip switching (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/93270-sky-fibre-ip-switching.html)

Kiroshi 01-23-2016 02:57 AM

Sky fibre ip switching

SO ive just upgraded from sky broadband normal with the hub, to sky fibre.

I talked to the agent and he assured me that you are able to switch to turn off your static ip address.

Does anyone have experience here, can you just access the router as before, click disconnect and then reconnect?

JamesNorth101 01-23-2016 06:18 AM

Re: Sky fibre ip switching

Sky would need to be the ones to swap you from a static IP to a dynamic IP. There is no switch on the box itself that I have ever seen

vetus 01-23-2016 06:23 AM

SKY have always had a problem with this, they won't switch you from STATIC to dynamic because they run all their customers off static. Unless you really get line 3 support you will have a problem.

I moved from SKY to BT just because they wouldn't switch me.

JamesNorth101 01-23-2016 06:28 AM

With Sky the fibre optic broadband is always (or nearly always) static. Most fibre optic broadband connections are. Same applies for Satellite broadband as well

Generally Sky with the phone line broadband its either fully dynamic or dynamic sticky both of which are fine

vetus 01-23-2016 06:34 AM

In general fibre optic broadband connections are not static whatsoever. I know that family members spread around the country on BT get complete dynamic IP's on it.

Probably depends on the provider of the fibre.

JamesNorth101 01-23-2016 06:42 AM

I think you will find with Talk Talk and Virgin they are both static most the time (virgin is always semi static)

BT can also provide static IP address with fibre optics, that depends on the area and the router. They also give a static IP with the newer hub on phone line connections which is very annoying (they keep trying to get me to upgrade to that router)

That pretty much rounds up the 4 major suppliers so yes I would say that a lot of the the time fibre optic broadband is indeed static... But not always which is pretty much what I said

vetus 01-23-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 740988)
BT can also provide static IP address with fibre optics, that depends on the area and the router. They also give a static IP with the newer hub on phone line connections which is very annoying (they keep trying to get me to upgrade to that router)

Incorrect - not static whatsoever. They come dynamic on BT with my phone line connection with the new hub.

GreenBean 01-23-2016 07:25 AM

:pop2:

Different from what BT offered me recently.

:pop2:

Bunneh 01-23-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetus (Post 740990)
Incorrect - not static whatsoever. They come dynamic on BT with my phone line connection with the new hub.

My BT is also dynamic.. Works perfectly [emoji41]

JamesNorth101 01-23-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetus (Post 740990)

Sorry but your just wrong on this one.

To repeat SOME BT connections use dynamic IPs and SOME use static

At the moment when using a phone line connection
Type B routers have dynamic IPs
Type C routers have static IP addresses unless you request them change it to a dynamic (which they will not always do)

It been that way for about 6 months now

If you have a static IP with BT and they wont change it, which happens in rural areas, then ask for a Type B router instead and you will get a dynamic IP

GreenBean 01-23-2016 07:41 AM

Agree with James.

This is totally dependant on

The type of account and service supplied by BT.

:yar:

Kiroshi 01-23-2016 09:06 AM

The Sky agent I spoke to said the static address is OPTIONAL where you go onto your account login and physically turn it off?

GreenBean 01-23-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiroshi (Post 741030)
The Sky agent I spoke to said the static address is OPTIONAL where you go onto your account login and physically turn it off?

Depends on the workings of the package.

:en:

Kiroshi 01-23-2016 10:22 AM

Update:

So the guy I spoke to was talking out of his arse. It certainly isnt a simple process to IP switch so I have cancelled the upgrade for now.

JamesNorth101 01-23-2016 10:25 AM

Good move!

He was saying things that I did not think w sounded right.

It would be Sky themselves who issue the dynamic IP, you cannot turn that on and off in the router, although you can get a new IP by changing MAC addresses if possible

Kiroshi 01-23-2016 10:28 AM

So the actual truth is (for future reference and searches)

1. The top fibre package (the one they sold me) HAS to have a static IP in order to maintain the speeds, therefore not suitable.

2. The lower fibre package has a dynamic IP but you CANNOT switch IP addresses like the standard broadband simply by disconnecting and reconnecting in router settings.

Conclusion: If I want omg uberz internetz I will need to get that dedicated laptop and mifi..

richie2065 01-27-2016 11:29 AM

Hi Kiroshi,
From personal experience - The lower fibre package comes with a dynamic IP address however this is sticky so resetting your router takes between 5-7 minutes to get a new IP address - unlike standard BB which can be done within 30 seconds - this is due to the number of available IP addresses available.
I switched back on day 1 from Fibre to broadband on the back of learning this.

JamesNorth101 01-27-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiroshi (Post 741047)
2. The lower fibre package has a dynamic IP but you CANNOT switch IP addresses like the standard broadband simply by disconnecting and reconnecting in router settings.

Thats right

These are known as a sticky dynamic IP address

It is possible to swap them, but it can be a fiddle

Virgin media is a really good example of this. The IP can be swapped easily in 2 mins or so, but there are more steps to it than just unplugging and pugging in the modem/router

batts09 01-27-2016 12:24 PM

Buy a BT Openreach Modem

Plug the Modem into a router

Flash the router with DD WRT

Use DD WRT mac address clone

Switch a static sky IP

joffieJaffa 01-27-2016 04:10 PM

Got bt here, had it a few years ,also had type b a c router , 76 meg, live in the sticks .....got my new router 2 weeks ago .....still dynamic with the option of i.p switching in the router setting, like it was 18 months ago.....bt is the most dynamic in the u.k for sure .

artfulldodger 02-12-2016 01:48 AM

yeah guys i just switched the sky router off for 10-15mins instead of the normal 2mins and its worked....new ip :cheer: