hack on selling eb acc and paypal - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 02-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default hack on selling eb acc and paypal

alot of hack threads going right now...

not a big account, I have a lot of these, but rotating and went to this one to list some stuff.....great feedback, aged acc, 1 massive neg on there from this episode from a buyer.

never thought I would be victim but suppose inevitable.

I do not see how it is possible to have hacked ebay AND paypal....they have same password, except the paypal one is longer with more digits...

difference is someone has sold on my account, and sent money paypal to paypal.

I could not get in to eb, so I logged in to pp and saw it all, another email has been added as primary to pp.

There are no notifications on my email. I cannot get in to ebay as password does not work.

bit too tired to deal with now as been out all day...and I know acc is lost....but I just dont understand it, need to see what has happened on eb, and not sure if worth contacting them out of curiousity......

juicy neg balance on paypal, they tried my vcc which failed, dont think pp tried my bank, will have to check that, although that bank is pretty empty....

Old 02-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%
Default Re: hack on selling eb acc and paypal

You can change ebay password with the phone number you attached and secret questions.
Old 02-13-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

other shame is this paypal is attached to another twin ebay account that seems untouched
and I can get in to that....2 eb to 1 pp.

do you mean I can chnge password or hacker did that? they couldnt possibly know secret questions, they are literally random things like non-existant pet names that I keep on a spreadsheet for my records...
Old 02-13-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

No i mean you can get the ebay account back if you have the mobile number attached and know the secret questions.
Old 02-14-2016

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
other shame is this paypal is attached to another twin ebay account that seems untouched
and I can get in to that....2 eb to 1 pp.

do you mean I can chnge password or hacker did that? they couldnt possibly know secret questions, they are literally random things like non-existant pet names that I keep on a spreadsheet for my records...
Maybe that spreadsheet is what they also got hold of? Easy to do once your inside a person computer and monitoring what it does
Old 02-16-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

@wired, scratching my head, agree it is something really odd....but I do not think it is that, my virus software would have picked it up, plus I have alot more on that spreadsheet, so why pick this one....I might start a thread on how to keep spreadsheet safe whilst having it close at hand though, as it always worried me....same with banking spreadsheet pins all on it etc....

anyway, I cannot get in to ebay with phone number, looks like it may have been changed? Havent called ebay about it, as not sure if they would believe me or let me in the account. As for paypal, i can get in on there, do not know what to say, or if worth trying to save...given the mess......my only idea is to call and show that I own the twin eb acc and therefore I must be the other owner too.....

but scratching my head, really am.....how they bypassed my email notifications, I have no clue....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 02-16-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2016

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
@wired, scratching my head, agree it is something really odd....but I do not think it is that, my virus software would have picked it up, plus I have alot more on that spreadsheet, so why pick this one....I might start a thread on how to keep spreadsheet safe whilst having it close at hand though, as it always worried me....same with banking spreadsheet pins all on it etc....

anyway, I cannot get in to ebay with phone number, looks like it may have been changed? Havent called ebay about it, as not sure if they would believe me or let me in the account. As for paypal, i can get in on there, do not know what to say, or if worth trying to save...given the mess......my only idea is to call and show that I own the twin eb acc and therefore I must be the other owner too.....

but scratching my head, really am.....how they bypassed my email notifications, I have no clue....
Sorry about what happened to your account.
They could have changed ebay communication preferences so you didnt received the email stating you sold a new item?. You mean that notification?. I dont know if you also receive it from paypal and that can be changed as well (long time since my last sale on ebay haha).

Last edited by Chadisencoat; 02-16-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2016

Longevity: 47%

you got rooted mate. learn security.
Old 02-26-2016

Longevity: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTones View Post
Nice first post.

Sorry to hear about your issues oompaloompa.

Fact is, if someone is gonna hack you and they are half decent, then they are gonna do it. Very little an average joe like me would be able to do to stop a determined hacker. I do tend to keep my records on paper though to at least limit any damage.
Old 02-26-2016
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,250 Posts
Activity: 26%
Longevity: 61%

Oompa, they might just have hacked the windows account or virtual machine you have those account in. I mean, it was a mistake you made when you were logged in.

I guess mail fishing is still one of the most popular and effective methods around.

I lost my real account for a couple of weeks this way ages ago. I do not know exactly "how" but I always had the strong suspect I clicked on the wrong email link... usually I am very suspicious and careful but that single time they got me (I was probably tired or distracted...)
Old 02-26-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTones View Post
Welcome to the forums. Easy on the tone - maybe go more into detail about your security advice to be polite - oompa is a longtime member and well-respected.

@oompa, could it be a random keylogger from some e-mail attachment? I would wager a call to eB and find out how it was changed...unless that is going to be difficult.

I had this happen once on an account awhile back - I knew who had done it though because some info was given out for a sale of the acct consideration...Called up eB and verified my initial info and got it back
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

about keylogging, wouldnt my anti-virus pick it up, I have 1 paid for and one free anti-virus for every machine.

I dont click links!

anyway, the account is NARU, which I already knew but I got in now, with alot of effort.

I called and told them it was hacked and went round in circles and got nowhere.

was going to give up but waited a week and called again, this time I said I lost my phone number and did not have access to email, did not mention hack, and was treated better, and helped to get in....ridiculous, as would have thought that is what a hacker would do......

there is not much I can do though other than escalate it...then there is paypal which is seperate and I have not even contacted them yet.....

paypal did try and take from bank, but there was not enough in it, so it failed.....
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 53%

Strange... Did you use same email / password combinations on systems/places other than paypal, ebay?

And there's no way you used those logins somewhere not on your PC
and nobody of your friends, family, staff do have access to your computer?
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
about keylogging, wouldnt my anti-virus pick it up
Not necessarily. If it was a brand new keylogger that had not yet been updated into your virus protection's definitions then it would not be detected by your AV. So that's still a possibility..
Old 02-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Good think that your bank account was empty. When ever I get money into my bank bank from paypal I always move it to an account without any paypal attachment but with a debit card attached.