eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay & Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/)
-   -   Post Ofice when is a large letter a parcel ? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/93967-post-ofice-when-large-letter-parcel.html)

arktech 02-15-2016 05:59 PM

Post Ofice when is a large letter a parcel ?

Post Ofice when is a large letter a parcel.

The Post Office seem to dislike me using paypal postage. I like it because i can hide the cost on the label and i dont have to create my own label. Today I had a 1 cm thick box in an envelope and she said its not a large letter its a small parcel. Max thickness for a large letter is 2.5 cm

On checking the Royal Mail website there is not a definition for what s defines a letter or a large letter ? it just shows sizes and weights and the same for parcels.

She also queried the labels used and customs for a Canada parcel.

Some post Offices seem to think they are not paid for dealing with Paypal pre paid .postage. Ive been down this road before with another post office and had apology

Apparently Canada are a bit iffy of the layout of labels and customs labels but never been a problem for me.

GreenBean 02-15-2016 06:07 PM

Re: Post Ofice when is a large letter a parcel ?

Post Office in the west of the UK told my brother it was weight....

wired 02-15-2016 06:20 PM

Just look on the PO website - has the dimensions and weight categories. Use Click and Drop if in doubt - shows you diagrams and everything :)

JamesNorth101 02-15-2016 06:49 PM

Price Finder < Very simple to use

arktech 02-15-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 747783)
Just look on the PO website - has the dimensions and weight categories. Use Click and Drop if in doubt - shows you diagrams and everything :)

exactly my item fitted large letter and small parcel categories . iim familiar with this site and use for pricing before listing but it doesn't define a difference between a large letter and a small parcel

just_smile 02-16-2016 03:14 AM

Your weight must have been over the large letter limit.

Ebayorbust 02-16-2016 04:46 AM

Once the weight goes over 750g it becomes a small parcel.

Max dimensions for large letter: 35.3cm x 25cm. Thickness up to and including 2.5cm

arktech 02-16-2016 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebayorbust (Post 747912)
Once the weight goes over 750g it becomes a small parcel.

Max dimensions for large letter: 35.3cm x 25cm. Thickness up to and including 2.5cm

it weighed 76 grams

Ebayorbust 02-16-2016 05:17 AM

I'm only quoting the figures from the Royal Mail price finder. I'd suggest you go back to the PO and take it up with them.

JamesNorth101 02-16-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arktech (Post 747916)
it weighed 76 grams

What is the width and the length of the package?

dan_ebay 02-16-2016 07:16 AM

the post office gets no money when you use paypal/franking thats why they don't like it.
Get a business account and everythings a large letter

JamesNorth101 02-16-2016 07:28 AM

Its PPI that they get very little money from

They get a bit with franking and they should get the same as usual with PayPal

luverlyjuberly 02-16-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_ebay (Post 747931)
the post office gets no money when you use paypal/franking thats why they don't like it.

Do you mean a business account oth the Post Office/Royal Mail?
How can everything be a large letter?

dan_ebay 02-16-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luverlyjuberly (Post 748042)
Do you mean a business account oth the Post Office/Royal Mail?
How can everything be a large letter?

I meant the independent post office gets no money as they're basically a franchise but looks like I was wrong.

And business account with royal mail. Was exaggerating, not everything but you decide whats a large letter etc yourself, anything under about 3.5 cm I just put in the large letter sack, only gets stopped/charged extra about 0.1% of the time.
Thats how people are selling big items for £2-3 on ebay, there isn't an imaginary courier that only the 'big guys' know about that charges £1 for parcels

luverlyjuberly 02-16-2016 12:26 PM

but is'nt the receiver of the package the one that ends up with a bill for underpayment on the package?
I had this problem with large letters where some clown in the sorting office kept saying they were underpaid and i got angry messages and negs because of it.

dan_ebay 02-16-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luverlyjuberly (Post 748051)
but is'nt the receiver of the package the one that ends up with a bill for underpayment on the package?
I had this problem with large letters where some clown in the sorting office kept saying they were underpaid and i got angry messages and negs because of it.

Nah hardly ever had it happened, doesn't even say if its large letter or parcel on the label

arktech 02-16-2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 747929)
What is the width and the length of the package?

14 cm x 19 cm x 1.5 cm

indielad1010 02-17-2016 07:48 AM

You need to shop around with the post offices when bulk selling, and especially if you sell a lot of large letters that are close to the small packet range.

The post office in my town used to try and get as many of my items as small packets as much as possible, and used to hold the post office queue up by checking every single parcel, and unless it glided through the large letter checker slot with the greatest ease it was checked as a small packet. So I went to a local post office, and told them about the situation, and the village post office who love all the trade I'm giving, let me check my own parcels into the large letter range (as long as i don't take the mick).

dan_ebay 02-17-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indielad1010 (Post 748261)

The post office in my town used to try and get as many of my items as small packets as much as possible, and used to hold the post office queue up by checking every single parcel, and unless it glided through the large letter checker slot with the greatest ease it was checked as a small packet.

I had this ages ago, ended with a heated discussion of me explaining to them that if it fits through atall even if its being pushed by a 20 tonne lorry it must be under 2.5cm lol

arktech 02-17-2016 12:23 PM

Further info. This situation led to me filing a complaint with the co-op who have the PO in the store. there were other issues with the clerk as well. I was telephoned by particular manager of this branch who apologised for her clerk and the attitude and she also apologised and said i was right my item 19 cm x 14 cm x 1.5 cm x 76 grams was in fact classed as a large letter e I had also complained to The Post Office help line and Royla mail help line who agreed that is it a large letter. The complaint went wrong with the co-op complaints procedure and they mishandled it . I am being sent an apology and £100 of co-op vouchers. I was in the process of making a Subject access Request for the cctv coverage telephone recordings and any personal data with the co-op which in my case goes back to 1954 and so they offered my £100 which i accepted. Servicing a subject access request is expensive for companies and i guess it would have taken one person about 1 week minimum just for me. Usually SAR's are done by the legal team of companies and their costs are higher than normal staff.

arktech 02-17-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_ebay (Post 747931)

You are incorrect the post office is paid for this.

Their are certain postmasters who agree with you and i have taken post offices to task about this when they just gave me a scanned cert of posting for tracked without inputting it into the computer with postcode etc (speedy bulk). The result was the post office had retraining and audits and local Post office area manager put them right . No more speedy buik scanned only Cert of postings. One franchised post Office were told a scanned and not imputed on the desk computer parcel is not covered by insurance and the franchised Postmaster are liable for loss not Post Office or Royal mail.

As for not getting paid that is incorrect they get a sum of money for doing all operations including paypal. Contact Post Office Hq and tell them the local postmaster has told you this and you are being discriminated against for using paypal postage. The next time you go in you will get better treatment. Don't be frightened to report them. I prefer paypal postage because you can choose to hide the cost you have paid for postage to stop penny arse scratcher buyers complaining you have charged too much plus you don't have to create your own label . You get the exact paypal delivery address

indielad1010 02-18-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_ebay (Post 748302)
I had this ages ago, ended with a heated discussion of me explaining to them that if it fits through atall even if its being pushed by a 20 tonne lorry it must be under 2.5cm lol

Lol, well apparently all the air is squeezed out by the sorting machines anyway. It might sound petty, but a 1st class LL i £1.28 and its £3.10 as a packet, and as I sell 200 items per week its a hefty saving. The village post office gives a more personal service, gives me free sweets, and are nicer generaly I have to pay a bit more in petrol, but its well worth it with the money I save.