eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay Suspensions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-suspensions/)
-   -   Do I have to issue refund? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-suspensions/38805-do-i-have-issue-refund.html)

HelloImTom 11-03-2011 04:05 PM

Do I have to issue refund?

Hello,
I put an item up not long ago, and sold it to a guy. He has received it, and its been a week now, and hes just told me that an item inside them box (was a ps3 with controller) is not working (the controller) and that another item is not in good condition, even thought i wrote in the advert it is below average condition.
Do I now have to issue or refund? Im not a power-seller or a business, it was a private auction.

rsot 11-03-2011 10:31 PM

Welcome to the forums. I am sure other UKers will chime in - if you sold it on eb ay, be aware that if a claim is opened, eb will likely side with the buyer regardless of your return policy. Best bet is to keep communicating with him, send him auction proof and maybe renegotiate.

jeffweico 11-03-2011 10:59 PM

Seller return policies are meaningless. They only way a seller can win by pointing to the policy is if the buyer files a claim with eBay and claims buyer remorse. Other than that, the buyer almost always wins.

I would also point out that - in this particular case - the buyer probably deserves a refund UNLESS the ad stated that the controller was not working. We all want to present what we have for sale in the best possible light, but using creative language like "below average condition" to describe an item that is not working just isn't kosher.

I'm not saying that is what you did, but from the post, that is the way it sounds.

KingRay 11-04-2011 12:25 AM

I lost a case like this once, Said it was a tool that didnt work and need repaired. He bought it and saw that it was something out of his range of knowledge and filed a claim. This was when the "not working for parts" just got going good. I just listed it as used but in the description clearly stated the tool was not working, locked up and needed repaired.

Didnt matter. the only thing ebay said was If it would have been listed as "for part" I would have probably won. Not said but basically what my email read like. That was the only thing the ruling was based on.

If you put used on the auction, you might as well just refund thgem before ebay makes you. That way it wont hurt your record as bad.

HelloImTom 11-04-2011 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies, helped alot.
The buyer seems to not understand english very well, so I doubt he will find the button to put a claim for a refund on ebay anyway. Is there a set period as to which he has to put in this claim for a refund? Its been just over a week now.
Thanks for all the replies. Great forums.

yotano211 11-05-2011 04:13 AM

You still have to deal with credit card charge back if he files one. Each country has their own laws on that but in the US it's 6 months. I fogot the time limit for PayPal but others will comment on that.