eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-paypal-talk/)
-   -   Protecting myself with paypal? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-paypal-talk/24136-protecting-myself-paypal.html)

M*** 10-25-2010 05:55 AM

Protecting myself with paypal?

Hello Guys,

Hope its ok to ask this in here.

Had the following situation occur:

I sold an item on Ebay. I had been using it myself and know it was fully working prior to sending to the buyer. I sent first class recorded and it arrived on 14/10/10. On 23/10/110 I got an email stating that they had only just received as I sent to their Ebay registered address and not their paypal registered address - This is untrue as I sent to the address that came up on the paypal - and also there were problems with the item. I assured the buyer the item was fully working and gave some advice on compatibility issues they may have with their computer. They then emailed me and said they to return the item as faulty and want a refund. I stated that I am unable and indeed unwilling to give them one as I know full well the item worked when I sent it them (they have not indicated any postal damage).

At present my paypal account is in the following state:

>Verified and with a direct debit set up on my bank account
>Debit Card registered has been cancelled as I lost it last week and am waiting for a new card from my bank - when It arrives i am planning to change my card details on paypal so I can buy stuff again with it.

I know I am in the right, but what happens if:

Buyer initiates a claim via paypal?
Buyer issues a chargeback on his debit/credit card?

Thank you

whatnow 10-25-2010 06:37 AM

if it was recorded then you have proof of delivery address, this prove they are lying over that surely? as for the item being damaged the only way you will know this for sure is if you have the item back, was it fragile if so did you parcel it up correctly? you have to prove that you have done all you can to make sure the item was protected during shipping to buyer, also has the buyer indicated their intention to go to paypal over this yet or are they still willing to deal with you at this point?

M*** 10-25-2010 07:55 AM

Hey, thanks

The item was packed properly and I have proof of where it went, nor are they denying receipt of it, the point they made there was just as to why they had only just received it, when in fact they would have received it right away and may well have dropped it etc in the last ten days...

They have not mentioned any damage to item - an audio interface- just said is too noisy for studio use - There was ZERO noise in my studio and therefore either their settings are wrong or they have damaged the item.

Anyone got any answers to the questions I posed whilst my account with paypal is as described..?

Thanks again.

pod 10-25-2010 08:00 AM

If a buyer wants to return something, you have to let them. You cant stop them so its pointless to try.

If the buyer wants to file SNAD nothing you can do. Thats eBay. There is no right or wrong. Doesn't matter what you think is right sorry.

Just have them send it back. I know it sucks sometimes when a buyer wants to return something that you know is fine. But that's eBay. By fighting buyer all that will happen is a claim and negative feedback. So either way they get to return it.

M*** 10-25-2010 08:07 AM

Hey thanks,

Well they can return it if they want, I said I wouldn't refund it and I wont as I know I sold them a working item, the sale was listed as no returns, hence unless I sold them a broken item which I didn't they aren't getting one. They can give me a neg if they wish I will live with it my other feedbacks speak for themselves, 100% positive over years..

What I'd like to know is the practicalities in terms of the questions I'd ask if anyone can answer them..

Thanks again

rsot 10-25-2010 10:03 AM

Pod is correct as kind of usual.

If buyer claimed he did not received - you might be protected a lot because you shipped to his paypal address.

Since buyer claimed item is faulty and wants to return for refund, you are relatively obliged to do so. When in doubt, call up Paypal and try to work it out. Live convo is always worth a shot.

pod 10-25-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M*** (Post 176948)
I said I wouldn't refund it and I wont as I know I sold them a working item

Doesn't matter. You are not reading our replies. You being right, meaningless. If you are going to sell on eBay you need to leave right or wrong at the door. Its that simple. Period.

Quote:

the sale was listed as no returns

Meaningless. Completely meaningless. You may as well put in description only pink kangaroos can buy. There is simply no way to stop a buyer from saying item is not right, broken, SNAD and getting a refund.

Go ahead and fight. You will lose, so why risk the damage to account. Its already over.

Again, forget that you are 100% right. In that world it doesnt count.... Its sucks, but that's the reality....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 176962)
Pod is correct as kind of usual.

HAHA.

M*** 10-25-2010 11:25 AM

I hear you guys honestly. But My question still hasn't been answered maybe I have worded it wrong.

Putting aside rights and wrong as you suggested and bearing in mind I don't care about getting a neg.

> Can/Will paypal take money straight from my bank account:

A. As soon as the buyer makes a claim through them?

B> Only if they decide the buyer is in the right and I have received back the item.

C> No they will not and if they decide the buyer is right I will simply be instructed that I have to pay the buyer/Paypal back paypal will not go into your bank account and take the money themselves possibly making me go overdrawn...

Assuming I cancel my direct debit to paypal on my bank account please answer the same questions with regards the fact that I will still have my debit card registered on there..

And please if possible the same questions with regards the person doing a debit-card chargeback of their own accord..

Sorry if this is pain but answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rsot 10-25-2010 01:32 PM

Ok bit cleared. Paypal will hold that amount in your account pending resolution of buyer dispute. Now if you don't have the funds, your account will go negative and they will attempt to take it out of your bank account. Of course, that will fail if account is closed or there are no fund available...

If your paypal account goes negative, better believe that they will do a limitation on it.

They will usually go with the policy of buyer shipping back for refund.

Stigger 10-25-2010 01:36 PM

If you cancel the DD then no paypal cannot get money from your bank but if the buyer decides to put in a claim with paypal you account will go neg and eventual be shut down unless you cough up quickly, same with a charge back as it will be though your paypal not the bank .

i strongly advise against do what you are asking because it is morally wrong and will cause you problems in the long run but if you go ahead you will find that out .

pod 10-25-2010 01:42 PM

Basically, if you close bank and credit card [You cant just delete it from PayPal, you have to close it down] they will have no way of getting money from you. That is assuming you don't have it in PP account, but I assume you don't or you wouldn't ask.

Is it really so much money its worth killing everything over? Why not just take the bloody thing back and move on...

whatnow 10-26-2010 03:11 AM

Am i missing something here? your willing to lose an account of good standing close down a bank account and lose a debit card because you feel your in the right...... forget it, let them return it, refund it and if you feel that strongly over it then block them from bidding on your items in future but dont ruin a good account with paypal over it

isitworththestress 10-26-2010 03:57 AM

Their claim could always go through ebay and ebay will use what ever method they have to get the buyers money back, as they pay back the buyer and then go after you for the money so you loose your ebay account.

Have you set your claims to go through paypal rather than ebay? That is if you still can, as I know it was auto set on ebay but you could change it to paypal. Did not make much difference they both hurt your ebay account and they both side for the buyer.

I am with the others on this, why are you so willing to throw away your account in such a stupid way?

whatnow 10-27-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Hey thanks,

Well they can return it if they want, I said I wouldn't refund it and I wont as I know I sold them a working item, the sale was listed as no returns, hence unless I sold them a broken item which I didn't they aren't getting one. They can give me a neg if they wish I will live with it my other feedbacks speak for themselves, 100% positive over years..

What I'd like to know is the practicalities in terms of the questions I'd ask if anyone can answer them..

Thanks again

how much is this item worth to you?

if you let them return and refund your good feedback will stay good, buyer feel more confident buying off you if they know that should there be a problem you will help, it doesnt sound like a scam just someone who brought the item in good faith but it doesnt work for them, you can always resell, but if you dont have this back and the buyer states this in feedback it could stop you getting another sale, its just not worth it in my very humble opinion :amen: