eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-paypal-talk/)
-   -   Pay pal sent letter saying they are taking me to court (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-paypal-talk/33236-pay-pal-sent-letter-saying-they-taking-me-court.html)

adrianr03 06-27-2011 08:01 AM

Pay pal sent letter saying they are taking me to court

i have gotten into a few problems with couple of buyers on ebay and pay pal took their side over mine. i ended up with negative balance of £1800 they closed my account down before all the complaints was made i just said f**k them . it wasn't until i got a letter in post i knew what the balance was. the address my pay pal account was registered at was my parents house in n.ireland but i have moved to republic of ireland for past year or so . can pay pal really do anything to me if they take me to court or affect my credit rating

NotAHappyBunny 06-27-2011 08:05 AM

yes i think they can - they chase up large debts.

GreenBean 06-27-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianr03 (Post 243869)
i have gotten into a few problems with couple of buyers on ebay and pay pal took their side over mine. i ended up with negative balance of £1800 they closed my account down before all the complaints was made i just said f**k them . it wasn't until i got a letter in post i knew what the balance was. the address my pay pal account was registered at was my parents house in n.ireland but i have moved to republic of ireland for past year or so . can pay pal really do anything to me if they take me to court or affect my credit rating

paypal will be most proactive to recover the due amount of £1800.

Now you have two parties on your back: paypal attempting to obtain money.
The parents will be involved too. And parents go weird when stuff like this happens

I'll remind you that you did make an agreement with paypal by virtue of having an account. that implied you agreed to accept their terms.

But actually I dont think the parents are going to put up with the letters, phone calls and HARASSMENT they are going to get from paypal. I dont think they are going to be too happy with you just because you said f**k you paypal and took no more responsibilty.

I dont care if you dont want to hear this. But you made a mistake. You need to work out someway to put right that £1800 debt. Or you are f***ed. :rolleyes:
I dont think I need say more.:doh:

GrannyT 06-27-2011 10:17 AM

Don't listen to what's been said here so far - it is factually wrong. Take this from someone who knows and who has been through this - albeit 12 years ago.

Paypal can take you to court in Northern Ireland and can argue their case. Before it gets to court they need to serve papers on you. If they cannot serve papers on you they can gazette you - expensive for them but it can be done.

The writ from any Ulster court does not run in the Republic - it cannot be enforced in Southern Ireland.

Your parents need to make it clear that you no longer live there and they either have no contact with you or alternatively they can give them your address in the Republic. They must not accept any mail addressed to you or accept the serving of any papers in your name. Paypal CAN NOT take action against you in Southern Ireland. The constitution expressly forbids debts from outside the Republic being pursued there.

They are the facts

The morals of it is something else and that is between you and your priest (if you have one)

rsot 06-27-2011 11:42 AM

Solid post by GTran - act accordingly.

rsot 06-28-2011 04:31 PM

Very impressive post if GTran is right =) I can only hope so since I know nothing - and don't need to know at this point - about the state of affairs in Ireland.

North Am is headache-enough for me ha.

worththewait 06-29-2011 11:27 AM

Can you not just write on the envelope RETURN TO SENDER - NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS??

GrannyT 06-29-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worththewait (Post 244815)
Can you not just write on the envelope RETURN TO SENDER - NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS??

Yes of course you can. In order to prove service they may send it Recorded Delivery - just refuse it - do NOT sign for it. The main premise of my post still applies - civil debt can not be enforced in the Irish Republic if it is from another country - and this is civil debt