Does Amazon ever ask for an SSN? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Amazon X

Amazon X The juicy stuff...

Old 06-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Does Amazon ever ask for an SSN?

I have had an Amazon account for years, but as a buyer. In February of this year, I created a sellers account, but I never listed anything other than 1 book, which has nnot sold. At the time, I am sure I gave them whatever they asked for (this was before I found this forum).

Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they asked for.

At any point in time will they ask for an SSN?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-17-2010

Longevity: 90%

I have never seen Amazon ask for a ssn, photo id, or any form of identification other than a credit card.
Old 06-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Dont put ideas in their heads
Old 06-17-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I have had an Amazon account for years, but as a buyer. In February of this year, I created a sellers account, but I never listed anything other than 1 book, which has nnot sold. At the time, I am sure I gave them whatever they asked for (this was before I found this forum).

Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they asked for.

At any point in time will they ask for an SSN?
No, they don't. From what I understand, and I could be wrong about it, but I've heard that the only reason paypal wants your ssn is because they charge you your ebay fees once a month, so you can owe them money. If you owe them, they want to be able to screw up your credit. Amazon, on the other hand, takes out their cut as soon as you sell an item, so they aren't too concerned about you screwing them over with fees since they immediately take out 16% or so off the top. That's why they don't care about your ssn...that's the story i've been told. But, again, they don't ask for it, so don't worry.
Old 06-17-2010

Longevity: 84%

and they advertise their system for international companies, who dont have a SSN......
Old 06-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillersFan View Post
No, they don't. From what I understand, and I could be wrong about it, but I've heard that the only reason paypal wants your ssn is because they charge you your ebay fees once a month, so you can owe them money. If you owe them, they want to be able to screw up your credit. Amazon, on the other hand, takes out their cut as soon as you sell an item, so they aren't too concerned about you screwing them over with fees since they immediately take out 16% or so off the top. That's why they don't care about your ssn...that's the story i've been told. But, again, they don't ask for it, so don't worry.
Thats interesting, and Very useful if true, who told you that story, is it credible? Is there a way to verify it Validity?
Old 06-18-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

It's not true. If you get the PP debit card, PP Plus credit card, or the PP Money Market upgrade, the law requires them to get SSN. Has nothing to do with fees.

PP wants everyone's SSN anyhow. You can decline if you don't meet the criteria in my first sentence. They hate you, but you can.
Old 06-18-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicvelcro View Post
It's not true. If you get the PP debit card, PP Plus credit card, or the PP Money Market upgrade, the law requires them to get SSN. Has nothing to do with fees.

PP wants everyone's SSN anyhow. You can decline if you don't meet the criteria in my first sentence. They hate you, but you can.
Actually, I was asking about Amazon, but you bring up a very interesting idea... You are saying that if PayPal demands all kinds of info (copies of driver's license, blood type, DNA samples, Sworn affidavits from all the Surpeme Court Justices, copies of your FBI file and a urine sample) you can decline to give your SSN? Wouldn't they just cancel your account in that case?
Old 06-19-2010

deleted comment.

Last edited by StillersFan; 06-19-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2010
Vicvelcro

They might find some excuse to get rid of you. But refusing SSN under proper circumstances is acceptable (technically). If they boot you, they'd have to justify it some other way. Expect that they would attempt to do so. I never said it was easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Actually, I was asking about Amazon, but you bring up a very interesting idea... You are saying that if PayPal demands all kinds of info (copies of driver's license, blood type, DNA samples, Sworn affidavits from all the Surpeme Court Justices, copies of your FBI file and a urine sample) you can decline to give your SSN? Wouldn't they just cancel your account in that case?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010

Longevity: 83%

i think this thread should be locked from prying eyes
Old 06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillersFan View Post
What about if you take out money, then amazon bans you, and after that you get hit with charge backs and claims? Where does amazon take money from then?
Old 06-19-2010
Vicvelcro

Are you anticipating this problem to affect you? If so, avoid listing stuff you suspect will haunt you.

Amazon will go to collections, if the amount is significant in their opinion. They may go for your credit card (probably without success).
Old 06-21-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 98%

Amazon asks for the last 4 digits of your SSN for amazon payments business accounts. I would not be surprised if they started implementing this for their amazon sellers accounts in the very near future. However I don't know if you can use false numbers or not. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by Ballsack; 06-21-2010 at 05:27 AM.