Vmware Mifi Setup - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 08-19-2017
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Vmware Mifi Setup

I have setup my VM's as "Bridged" and checked "Replace physical network connection state"

I'm assuming these settings replicate the hosts connection by "passing thru" to the host to connect to whatever is connected to the host.

Is there a way to conect Mifi directly to a VM's Wifi rather than have it first connect to the host and then "pass thru" to the VM?

Is there also a way to have a USB dongle connect directly to a VM?

If anybody is doing this, what are the settings that should be used and more importantly, is it safe?

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse"
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-19-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%
Default Re: Vmware Mifi Setup

Okay, from my understanding (anyone is free to correct me), you have two options.

1. Use your host PC's wifi to connect to the MiFi device, then set network settings within VM to emulate IP/internet access from host PC.

In other words, you cannot have a WiFi on your host PC connected to network X, and then expect the same WiFi to connect to the MiFi under a VM.

2. This option is a lot simpler. USB Dongle. Just insert it into your host PC. If it doesn't connect to your VM right away, open the VM window, and bottom right hand corner (not on your OS, but on the VM) you will find a bunch of peripherals that are connected. Hover over them to see their name, and you should be able to find your dongle, right click, and it should say something along the lines of "Disconnect from host, connect to VM..."

Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
metatrade (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 63%
Smile Re: Vmware Mifi Setup

Thanks Play,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
1. Use your host PC's wifi to connect to the MiFi device, then set network settings within VM to emulate IP/internet access from host PC.
Yes of course ... the Mifi will HAVE to connect to the host first anyway because the machine only has one card ..
Do you know where the emulate IP/internet access settings in VM are located?

I'm trying to make for a safer working environment by setting it up in a way where each of the VM's can only use their own specific Mifi connection, ethernet connection or USB dongle and disable all other connections within those specific VM's that I will not use.
This should avoid the VM's accidentally connecting thru to the hosts banned IP.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse"
Old 08-19-2017

Longevity: 45%

Using VMware, exit out of full screen view. Click Edit in the top tool bar ( the one that drops down in full screen view ). Then click Virtual Network Editor. Then click Change Settings. Then click yes. Then click Edit again on the tool bar. Then click Virtual Network Editor again. Then select bridged (connect VM's directly to the external nerwork) Then Briged to: select the wireless network adapter of your computer.

If your not sure what it is you can check in Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (on the left of the screen). In a Windows host.

You can set up multiple USB adapters this way plus the wireless network card of the host machine.

It's easier though to only set up the wireless network card like this, and just plug in the USB adapter when you are in the guest you want to connect it to.

Or you can click VM in the tool bar. Then Removable Devices. Then you should see your USB adapters in a drop down menu to the right. Then select disconnect from host and connect to guest.

Or the way Play suggested down at the bottom right. There is multiple ways to do it.

If you have multiple MiFi devices you could just set each one as the only WiFi connection source in the guest OS you want them attached to. They will automatically connect when you switch over a single USB wireless network adapter to that guest OS using the VM > Removable Devices method.

Make sure you don't have bridged connection and removable device connection going at the same time. You can disconnect the bridged in VM > Removable Devices > Network Adapter > Disconnect

Last edited by nate; 08-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nate For This Useful Post:
metatrade (08-19-2017)
Old 08-20-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatrade View Post
Thanks Play,

Yes of course ... the Mifi will HAVE to connect to the host first anyway because the machine only has one card ..
Do you know where the emulate IP/internet access settings in VM are located?

I'm trying to make for a safer working environment by setting it up in a way where each of the VM's can only use their own specific Mifi connection, ethernet connection or USB dongle and disable all other connections within those specific VM's that I will not use.
This should avoid the VM's accidentally connecting thru to the hosts banned IP.
Right - So since you want to keep each VM isolated, best way to do that is by getting a dongle (for each, if you want to use them simultaneously).

Glad you understood what I mentioned about 1 network card, per MiFi.

Another bonus with USB dongles is you directly input it into the machine, done. Whereas with anything wireless, there's always hiccups to overcome, sooner or later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
metatrade (08-20-2017)