Used items for amazon under private label? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 05-29-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 36%
Default Used items for amazon under private label?

Ok so I have been on EB for a while now and all my listings are good until cancel ones with large selling histories. They, however, are used items that I obtained in bulk domestically. Each item is original (OEM) and commands a price of around $40/set, as compared to the aftermarket "Chinese version" which is sold all over the place for $15-18/set brand new.

Now, my question is, can I somehow rebrand this item and sell it under my own brand? Like " Joe's OEM Genuine *Brand Name* *Item name*"

The whole purpose of this would be so that my listing on amazon would be completely separate from other sellers, who sell a Chinese variant.

Any input appreciated.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-30-2018

Longevity: 38%
Default Re: Used items for amazon under private label?

Not taking into account the legalities, which I'm sure would put a stop to this anyway as I'm sure you will not be able to claim it as OEM under your own branding, why would you want to do it?

Sure the quality is better but can you display this visually in the images to warrant a price almost three times that of the Chinese version? After all the only reason the original demands a higher price is because of the branding, you take that away why would someone purchase your PL item when then can purchase the original at the same price?

It's great that you're thinking out side of the box but I think you're also trying to recreate the wheel. The PL model is based predominantly on importing from china & has been working successfully for many years for a lot of people.
Old 05-30-2018

Longevity: 65%

wise words sir john
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWall View Post
Not taking into account the legalities, which I'm sure would put a stop to this anyway as I'm sure you will not be able to claim it as OEM under your own branding, why would you want to do it?

Sure the quality is better but can you display this visually in the images to warrant a price almost three times that of the Chinese version? After all the only reason the original demands a higher price is because of the branding, you take that away why would someone purchase your PL item when then can purchase the original at the same price?

It's great that you're thinking out side of the box but I think you're also trying to recreate the wheel. The PL model is based predominantly on importing from china & has been working successfully for many years for a lot of people.
1) I have every right to sell used OEM merch. Considering that nowadays people rebrand their knock-offs under their own brand, I didn't see any issue with somehow separating the stuff I have from other seller's phakes.

2) Yes, the picture easily conveys that it's OEM. No issue there.

3) I don't have enough $ to afford 1000 MOQ PL deals out of China, just yet. I just need a way to somehow transfer my business to AMZN. However, I absolutely do NOT want for my stuff to be mixed with that of other sellers.

Any ideas how can I separate it and have my OWN listing?

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasav View Post
1) I have every right to sell used OEM merch. Considering that nowadays people rebrand their knock-offs under their own brand, I didn't see any issue with somehow separating the stuff I have from other seller's phakes.

2) Yes, the picture easily conveys that it's OEM. No issue there.

3) I don't have enough $ to afford 1000 MOQ PL deals out of China, just yet. I just need a way to somehow transfer my business to AMZN. However, I absolutely do NOT want for my stuff to be mixed with that of other sellers.

Any ideas how can I separate it and have my OWN listing?

Thanks a lot!
1) Of course you do, plenty of people make a successful income from the OA & RA business models. Your issue lies with wanting to re-brand the original item.

Is there a listing for the official item? People selling a Chinese "copy" under their own brand won't be listing under than ASIN. If people are selling blatent knock offs then that's a separate issue for Amazon & the manufactures.

2) Difficult to respond properly to this without knowing the product, but how is this possible if you're planning on re-branding the item?

3) Not every Chinese manufacturer has a large MOQ.

No offence intended but I think you have misunderstood how Amazon works, it's a different animal to eBay. Every eBay seller of a certain item will have their own listing in the search results where as in the Amazon world every seller of the same item shares the listing.
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

1) None that I'm aware of.

2) Because I am not changing the product in any way at all. Just the title. Lets say the brand name is Reptile, for example, and Reptile makes keychains. And there's me, Yasav, a person who wants to sell used but OEM Reptile keychains. So, my idea, was to have a listing with the following name

"Yasav's OEM Genuine Reptile Keychain"

Is that possible?

What options do I really have?

And yes, I'm not experienced with AMZN whatsoever; in fact, aside from purchases, I've yet to sell a single item there..
Old 05-30-2018

Quote:
1) None that I'm aware of.

2) Because I am not changing the product in any way at all. Just the title. Lets say the brand name is Reptile, for example, and Reptile makes keychains. And there's me, Yasav, a person who wants to sell used but OEM Reptile keychains. So, my idea, was to have a listing with the following name

"Yasav's OEM Genuine Reptile Keychain"

Is that possible?

What options do I really have?

And yes, I'm not experienced with AMZN whatsoever; in fact, aside from purchases, I've yet to sell a single item there..
No, you would have to create a listing using the official name of the item without anything in addition. However because there isn't an existing ASIN you'd need to treat it as you've just launched a PL product which will require investment for advertising. Unless you have a substantial amount of these in stock this isn't worthwhile as anyone could jump onto the listing and undercut you for the BB.
Old 05-30-2018

Longevity: 34%

Is the OEM on amazon?
Old 05-30-2018
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 54%

You can create asin as you like with title of your own brand

Ie if you selling Samsung s9 cover I am sure 100's of asin already present but you can create your own with your brand name
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot144 View Post
Is the OEM on amazon?

I personally haven't been able to find any.
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWall View Post
No, you would have to create a listing using the official name of the item without anything in addition. However because there isn't an existing ASIN you'd need to treat it as you've just launched a PL product which will require investment for advertising. Unless you have a substantial amount of these in stock this isn't worthwhile as anyone could jump onto the listing and undercut you for the BB.
Can they jump into my listing with the Chinese variant and sell the foo-foo under my listing? That's what I'm mostly worried about.
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

I know may be off topic a bit but since it was mentioned, I wonder how much $ on advertising do I need to spend when launching a new product?

So theoretically, let's say I have someone design me an iPhone case and then have it made overseas, then ship to FBA. So obviously, the rank of this newly-made listing would be on page 50 or so and nobody would buy. So from this point, how much time and $ would it require to bring this to selling let's say 20-30 units/day?

For example, on EB, at first I set the price to be dirt cheap (barely a break-even) and gain a lot of momentum - in terms of views/watches/sold history - and then increase the price and start milking out the $ from the listing, while selling the same item for a much higher price than the competition. Does the same work on AMZN?

Last edited by Yasav; 05-30-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2018

Quote:
I know may be off topic a bit but since it was mentioned, I wonder how much $ on advertising do I need to spend when launching a new product?

So theoretically, let's say I have someone design me an iPhone case and then have it made overseas, then ship to FBA. So obviously, the rank of this newly-made listing would be on page 50 or so and nobody would buy. So from this point, how much time and $ would it require to bring this to selling let's say 20-30 units/day?

For example, on EB, at first I set the price to be dirt cheap (barely a break-even) and gain a lot of momentum - in terms of views/watches/sold history - and then increase the price and start milking out the $ from the listing, while selling the same item for a much higher price than the competition. Does the same work on AMZN?
More in your favor that the OEM isn't on amazon. Amazon has restricted this, restricted that, copyright infringements here, owner's rights infringements there, everywhere. They're tight. But don't see a problem with listing the items as private label just as long as no one can tell that they were manufactured by another company (can't see a brand name, serial number, upc code, etc). Doesn't matter that you have the rights to sell it, OEM is a "private label" company themselves who sell to others so they can sell it. I'd do everything but list the OEM name in the title if you can. They scan for certain keywords. I've listed the same item without those keywords and nothing. Still listed. The OEM isn't on amazon so it might not even matter, but it's a risk.

Advertising? I'm beginning to sell on amazon too with the products I sell on ebay. They were so easy to list and sell on ebay, but on amazon there is no way in hell anyone will find them without sponsored listings. Amazon sponsored listings are just like adwords PPC - except at least in my niche the keywords cost .60 - 1.75 per CLICK. It's HUGE. Number of listings I'm competing with vary from 1000-10000 for each product for perspective. Some products are slowly gaining traction, but the cost to get them moving is enough to keep you up at night. Amazon knows how to look out for #1. That is for sure.

And yes, they can jump into your listings. But because you private labeled you can report to amazon for owner's right infringement. Here it's most crucial amazon wouldn't know it's OEM - otherwise they might take your listing down instead. Ha

"No, you would have to create a listing using the official name of the item without anything in addition. However because there isn't an existing ASIN you'd need to treat it as you've just launched a PL"

You could do it this way too, but you couldn't include your brand name.
Old 05-30-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Amazon has restricted this, restricted that, copyright infringements here, owner's rights infringements there, everywhere. They're tight.
Not in my niche, at least. Around 90% of the listings in my niche on AMZN are Chinese foo-foos.

Quote:
But don't see a problem with listing the items as private label just as long as no one can tell that they were manufactured by another company (can't see a brand name, serial number, upc code, etc).
Not an option, since my product is basically the entire logo of the OEM brand.

Quote:
Advertising? I'm beginning to sell on amazon too with the products I sell on ebay. They were so easy to list and sell on ebay, but on amazon there is no way in hell anyone will find them without sponsored listings. Amazon sponsored listings are just like adwords PPC - except at least in my niche the keywords cost .60 - 1.75 per CLICK. It's HUGE. Number of listings I'm competing with vary from 1000-10000 for each product for perspective. Some products are slowly gaining traction, but the cost to get them moving is enough to keep you up at night. Amazon knows how to look out for #1. That is for sure.
Thanks, first and foremost, for sharing your experience. It's definitely very helpful to see AMZN from the beginner's perspective, especially for me, as I plan to gradually move from EB to AMZN. The way I see it, I'll definitely need to save up some $ to pay the product cost and it's marketing.
Old 05-30-2018

You bet