eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Amazon (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/amazon/)
-   -   Oem (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/amazon/59876-oem.html)

Kelly441 05-11-2013 08:58 AM

Oem

A customer complained that the item looked like a knockoff. However the listing title says OEM and it says "By Unknown"

I was always under the assumption that OEM was not an genuine item. I Googled OEM and even Wikipedia says that there is a lot of confusion over the term OEM.

I guess the only thing that matters is what Amazon's definition of OEM means.

Thoughts

kockedoff 05-11-2013 10:13 PM

Original equipment manufacturer is what I know is OEM

Zero123 05-11-2013 10:19 PM

I always have had trouble with this term too.
Anyone feel they can explain?

kockedoff 05-11-2013 10:33 PM

From the web

This confusing term has two meanings:

1) Originally, an OEM (original equipment manufacturer)REG was a company that supplied equipment to other companies to resell or incorporate into another product using the reseller's brand name. For example, a maker of refrigerators like Frigidaire might sell its refrigerators to a retailer like Sears to resell under a brand name owned by Sears. A number of companies, both equipment suppliers and equipment resellers, still use this meaning.

2) More recently, OEM is used to refer to the company that acquires a product or component and reuses or incorporates it into a new product with its own brand name.

Futuremogul888 05-12-2013 02:48 AM

Plain and Simple OEM in any context means Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example if a charger is for an Apple Iphone and you say it is an OEM charger it means it was made by Apple. I think your confusion originates from the fact that there are many sellers who put in the listing that the product is OEM to trick the buyer to pay more for the item, when it is in fact not made by the original equipment manufacturer. The buyer who complained is 100% right to complain in this situation.

Kelly441 05-12-2013 06:37 AM

Kelly441 05-12-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 (Post 448568)
Plain and Simple OEM in any context means Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example if a charger is for an Apple Iphone and you say it is an OEM charger it means it was made by Apple. I think your confusion originates from the fact that there are many sellers who put in the listing that the product is OEM to trick the buyer to pay more for the item, when it is in fact not made by the original equipment manufacturer. The buyer who complained is 100% right to complain in this situation.

In this case the heading says OEM, but it says "By Unknown"

and to top it off this particular item is not something made by Apple.

rsot 05-12-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 (Post 448568)

Very succinct explanation - the buyer sniffed it out.

GreenBean 05-12-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly441 (Post 448593)
In this case the heading says OEM, but it says "By Unknown"

and to top it off this particular item is not something made by Apple.

woah!!

Re-read what was written. FM88 clearly says ' for example '......

You appear now to have a problem an item made labelled OEM from an unknown manufacturer, no?

To your mind what does that suggest? Can you or can you not appreciate a buyer's reaction to the same item?

:spy:

GreenBean 05-12-2013 10:52 AM

I have used this reference. Maybe it is more helpful, Kelly?

OEM (pronounced as separate letters) is short for original equipment manufacturer, (which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers.) OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.
While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers.

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps
:ranger:

Wes 05-12-2013 11:02 AM

OEM in the message Svc

I sold an item to a customer, and told him in the messaging it was OEM. About 12 hrs later I got a message from Amazon stating I had phaakes and got a policy warning. 720 hrs later the account went down.. So I would not mention OEM anywhere in any descriptions, listings, or messaging. Maybe it was a coincidence.. But I believe they scrape the messages for a list of banned words, and then take action

Speeder33 05-12-2013 01:37 PM

amazon definitly looks at keywords in sent messages, you have to be very careful with them

unkown5454 05-12-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 448660)

OEM (pronounced as separate letters) is short for original equipment manufacturer, (which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers.) OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.
While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers.

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps

This exactly. It's thrown around a lot in the auto industry and it always refers to an aftermarket product and not the originator. Very confusing for everyone, but OEM simply means it's built exactly like the original product, but it does not mean it IS the original.

Sellers use the term loosely to trick people into buying their products because it's a word that makes people ignorant to the term feel safe when buying from a random seller. Since the OP likes to create topics regarding count/erf/eiting and Ve/RO, it makes sense they continue with this nonsense.

Zero123 05-12-2013 02:05 PM

I sold oem iphone 5 cases brand name bought on aliexpress

everything was going ok and after 20 or so sales was told vero and got everything removed..

So is this not allowed or was it just ebay vero'ing me for no reason as they seem to do a lot.

unkown5454 05-12-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero123 (Post 448716)
brand name bought on aliexpress

This is why you failed. You sold coun/terf/eit products.

Zero123 05-12-2013 02:48 PM

Even though I said it was a 3rd party?

What if the product did not say the brandname and in the listing I put oem case of “brandname"

Where the real name is no where to be found but in Listing after oem

unkown5454 05-12-2013 02:59 PM

Search the forum, there is tons on this already. Anything using the brand name is ill/egal. You are using the brand to make profit for yourself.

Simply trying to sell anything dealing with the iPhone 5 will smoke all of your accounts.

Kelly441 05-12-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 448660)

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps

Thank for finally putting clarification to the issue. Let's just hope that Amazon understands what the term means.

user3657 05-14-2013 05:20 AM

When I think of OEM....

for car parts to me it means from another manufactor but made to the orignal OEM specs.

For computer/hardware OEM means its legit stuff just in bulk packaing. IE, a mouse without a box or software that is just the CD.

rsot 05-14-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero123 (Post 448724)

What if the product did not say the brandname and in the listing I put oem case of “brandname"

Amazon is an advanced platform - you will have to test and try more to see what works. 3rd party seems like not enough and plus, it does seem to be a knockoff

GreenBean 05-14-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero123 (Post 448724)

I'll be blunt.... avoid OEM words where-ever possible.

Think of the bots.... they might snag your listing

:spy:

n8zzz 05-14-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user3657 (Post 449255)
When I think of OEM....

for car parts to me it means from another manufactor but made to the orignal OEM specs.

For computer/hardware OEM means its legit stuff just in bulk packaing. IE, a mouse without a box or software that is just the CD.

Exactly, this is what I believe your average customer thinks as well. Imo, you should assume that all customers think like this. OEM should not mean generic to you, OEM is generally seen as bulk packaging. I really wouldn't think that Amazon would have a problem with typing out OEM in listings or messages, for godsakes just do a search in amazon for OEM and you get nearly 4 million results.. I cannot imagine getting banned for that of all things. But if you have any qualms about it, consider changing your verbiage from "OEM" to "bulk packaging". And never assume that either terms mean generic! A buyer will and should complain if they receive a generic item in this situation.