Oem - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 70%
Default Oem

A customer complained that the item looked like a knockoff. However the listing title says OEM and it says "By Unknown"

I was always under the assumption that OEM was not an genuine item. I Googled OEM and even Wikipedia says that there is a lot of confusion over the term OEM.

I guess the only thing that matters is what Amazon's definition of OEM means.

Thoughts
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-11-2013

Longevity: 66%

Original equipment manufacturer is what I know is OEM
Old 05-11-2013

Longevity: 64%

I always have had trouble with this term too.
Anyone feel they can explain?
Old 05-11-2013

From the web

This confusing term has two meanings:

1) Originally, an OEM (original equipment manufacturer)REG was a company that supplied equipment to other companies to resell or incorporate into another product using the reseller's brand name. For example, a maker of refrigerators like Frigidaire might sell its refrigerators to a retailer like Sears to resell under a brand name owned by Sears. A number of companies, both equipment suppliers and equipment resellers, still use this meaning.

2) More recently, OEM is used to refer to the company that acquires a product or component and reuses or incorporates it into a new product with its own brand name.
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Plain and Simple OEM in any context means Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example if a charger is for an Apple Iphone and you say it is an OEM charger it means it was made by Apple. I think your confusion originates from the fact that there are many sellers who put in the listing that the product is OEM to trick the buyer to pay more for the item, when it is in fact not made by the original equipment manufacturer. The buyer who complained is 100% right to complain in this situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Futuremogul888 For This Useful Post:
km018 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013
Threadstarter  

I'm not sure it's that simple. Look here;

Original equipment manufacturer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-12-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
Plain and Simple OEM in any context means Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example if a charger is for an Apple Iphone and you say it is an OEM charger it means it was made by Apple. I think your confusion originates from the fact that there are many sellers who put in the listing that the product is OEM to trick the buyer to pay more for the item, when it is in fact not made by the original equipment manufacturer. The buyer who complained is 100% right to complain in this situation.

In this case the heading says OEM, but it says "By Unknown"

and to top it off this particular item is not something made by Apple.
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
Very succinct explanation - the buyer sniffed it out.
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly441 View Post
In this case the heading says OEM, but it says "By Unknown"

and to top it off this particular item is not something made by Apple.
woah!!

Re-read what was written. FM88 clearly says ' for example '......

You appear now to have a problem an item made labelled OEM from an unknown manufacturer, no?

To your mind what does that suggest? Can you or can you not appreciate a buyer's reaction to the same item?

Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

I have used this reference. Maybe it is more helpful, Kelly?

OEM (pronounced as separate letters) is short for original equipment manufacturer, (which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers.) OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.
While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers.

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013

Default OEM in the message Svc

I sold an item to a customer, and told him in the messaging it was OEM. About 12 hrs later I got a message from Amazon stating I had phaakes and got a policy warning. 720 hrs later the account went down.. So I would not mention OEM anywhere in any descriptions, listings, or messaging. Maybe it was a coincidence.. But I believe they scrape the messages for a list of banned words, and then take action
Old 05-12-2013
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

amazon definitly looks at keywords in sent messages, you have to be very careful with them
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post

OEM (pronounced as separate letters) is short for original equipment manufacturer, (which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers.) OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.
While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers.

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps

This exactly. It's thrown around a lot in the auto industry and it always refers to an aftermarket product and not the originator. Very confusing for everyone, but OEM simply means it's built exactly like the original product, but it does not mean it IS the original.

Sellers use the term loosely to trick people into buying their products because it's a word that makes people ignorant to the term feel safe when buying from a random seller. Since the OP likes to create topics regarding count/erf/eiting and Ve/RO, it makes sense they continue with this nonsense.
Old 05-12-2013

I sold oem iphone 5 cases brand name bought on aliexpress

everything was going ok and after 20 or so sales was told vero and got everything removed..

So is this not allowed or was it just ebay vero'ing me for no reason as they seem to do a lot.
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
brand name bought on aliexpress
This is why you failed. You sold coun/terf/eit products.
Old 05-12-2013

Even though I said it was a 3rd party?

What if the product did not say the brandname and in the listing I put oem case of “brandname"

Where the real name is no where to be found but in Listing after oem
Old 05-12-2013
Executive [VIP]

Search the forum, there is tons on this already. Anything using the brand name is ill/egal. You are using the brand to make profit for yourself.

Simply trying to sell anything dealing with the iPhone 5 will smoke all of your accounts.
Old 05-12-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post

This is from webopedia.
Hope this helps

Thank for finally putting clarification to the issue. Let's just hope that Amazon understands what the term means.
Old 05-14-2013

Activity: 3%

When I think of OEM....

for car parts to me it means from another manufactor but made to the orignal OEM specs.

For computer/hardware OEM means its legit stuff just in bulk packaing. IE, a mouse without a box or software that is just the CD.
Old 05-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

What if the product did not say the brandname and in the listing I put oem case of “brandname"

Amazon is an advanced platform - you will have to test and try more to see what works. 3rd party seems like not enough and plus, it does seem to be a knockoff
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

I'll be blunt.... avoid OEM words where-ever possible.

Think of the bots.... they might snag your listing

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
When I think of OEM....

for car parts to me it means from another manufactor but made to the orignal OEM specs.

For computer/hardware OEM means its legit stuff just in bulk packaing. IE, a mouse without a box or software that is just the CD.
Exactly, this is what I believe your average customer thinks as well. Imo, you should assume that all customers think like this. OEM should not mean generic to you, OEM is generally seen as bulk packaging. I really wouldn't think that Amazon would have a problem with typing out OEM in listings or messages, for godsakes just do a search in amazon for OEM and you get nearly 4 million results.. I cannot imagine getting banned for that of all things. But if you have any qualms about it, consider changing your verbiage from "OEM" to "bulk packaging". And never assume that either terms mean generic! A buyer will and should complain if they receive a generic item in this situation.
Closed Thread