VPN vs VPS? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 10-09-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default VPN vs VPS?

Hi I am currently using a virgin VPN.

My friend has been running a VPS with an Remote Desktop Protocol setup for his Amazon Stealth accounts for years with no problem.

I read somewhere that VPS is not a good idea but having trouble finding that thread. Can someone let me know if VPS should be avoided or not? And if virgin VPN is the way to go?

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is where he got his VPS from for at least one of his accounts: Windows VPS Hosting, Hosted Windows Virtual Server, VPS Hosting

What are the issues that one can run into using a VPS with rdp setup rather than just connecting through a virgin VPN?

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: VPN vs VPS?

VPS's can work with Amazon. Of course, just like with VPN's, you have to choose your provider carefully. But your friend is right, they CAN work with Amazon. I prefer Linux over Windows for Amazon, but Windows can work. With Linux you don't connect through RDP, you connect with something like VNC Viewer. The Windows VPS issue is that most providers use something like Windows Server 2008 which is not commonly used by most people. Windows VPS's will have a higher death rate with Amazon than Linux VPS's.

I have never been a big fan of using VPN's for Amazon. I have had some people tell me it works just fine, but that has NOT been my experience. Of course, it COULD be that their setups were different from mine.
Old 10-09-2015

Longevity: 50%

What is the difference between VPN and VPS?
Old 10-09-2015
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

VPN is just a secure connection via a 3rd party.

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server. Depending on your setup this can be hosted on a 3rd party with a Fresh IP address or hosted locally. It's a computer running on a computer.

They're both fine but VPS would be better for Amazon.
Old 10-09-2015
Threadstarter  

Do these VPS need to be "virgin" VPS ip address? And if so, what places are recommended for VPS and a guide to properly set one up?
Old 10-09-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
VPS's can work with Amazon. Of course, just like with VPN's, you have to choose your provider carefully. But your friend is right, they CAN work with Amazon. I prefer Linux over Windows for Amazon, but Windows can work. With Linux you don't connect through RDP, you connect with something like VNC Viewer. The Windows VPS issue is that most providers use something like Windows Server 2008 which is not commonly used by most people. Windows VPS's will have a higher death rate with Amazon than Linux VPS's.

I have never been a big fan of using VPN's for Amazon. I have had some people tell me it works just fine, but that has NOT been my experience. Of course, it COULD be that their setups were different from mine.
So Linux VPS uses something more common? What do they use?

I didn't know VPS was more recommended for long term Amazon Stealth accounts. Would you please give more information about this or some resources that I can read through?

And what VPS providers do you recommend? What should I be looking for when choosing a provider?

What issues did you run to with VPN that made you not a fan of it?

Last edited by Productions; 10-09-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Productions View Post

I didn't know VPS was more recommended for long term Amazon Stealth accounts. Would you please give more information about this or some resources that I can read through?

And what VPS providers do you recommend? What should I be looking for when choosing a provider?

VPN's and Amazon simply do not mix. I don't know why this is, but I have never had much luck with them. Yes, i have a couple of accounts running on a VPN, but these are the exceptions, not the rule.

I don't recommend specific providers. But you need one that is relatively small. Not a big provider like Hostgator or another major VPS provider.
Old 10-10-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

It's really just a matter of preference at the end of the day both will give you an ip address, and as long as the ip address is clean and hasn't been used before on amazon then you'll be good to go. (assuming you know how to properly setup everything else)

So whichever one you prefer whether you use a VPN or a VPS, just make sure to pick a good provider. I prefer VPNs because I combine it with VMware so I can have 5+ computers running at the same time, while with a VPS I'm limited to one computer at a time. There are ways to run more than one but its not as convenient.

So I just prefer the ability of multi-tasking that VPN + VMware provides me. And yes tons of people use VPNs for Amazon, as well as tons use VPS for amazon, no such thing as which is better cause both work just a matter of preference.

Last edited by 123; 10-10-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2015

Longevity: 65%

They both work well as long as the IP hasn't been used. I second 123 for the convenience of running multiple amazon accounts with vmware + vpn
Old 10-11-2015

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Do these VPS need to be "virgin" VPS ip address? And if so, what places are recommended for VPS and a guide to properly set one up?
Look at 123 in the post.I use there services and never had an issue.
Old 11-12-2015

Longevity: 77%

Quote:

Here a tutorial I found on starting a Elite VPS

http://dessiecteict.wikispaces.com/f...oxy+Server.pdf