Any Canucks currently using FedEx ground to US? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > Canada eBay Discussions

Canada eBay Discussions General discussions about eBay.ca Suspensions. This forum is mostly geared towards Canada eBay sellers.

Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 86%
Default Any Canucks currently using FedEx ground to US?

Looking for feedback from those that use it regularly, and currently.

I used it a couple years ago and had so many problems I dropped them. But I took a peek online and ground to US was really cheap and stated 5 business days. $20 compared to $35 xpresspost. So if they can deliver in 5 days, I'm sold.
xpresspost has been great and I'm even sure speed has gotten really fast lately. But some days I just cant take an hour or two to go drop off the packages. FedEx will come to the door and grab them. And right now that's very appealing. But not if its just problem after problem getting there.

3 important questions before I try again:

Problems at customs? [I had lots and lots of delays]
Charges to receiver as bad as UPS? [Cant recall FedEx, but I know UPS is just absurd]
Is 5 days realistic? Or is it really 10? [I was getting an average of two weeks plus for deliveries before on ground]

Thanks. Eh.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Looking for feedback from those that use it regularly, and currently.

I used it a couple years ago and had so many problems I dropped them. But I took a peek online and ground to US was really cheap and stated 5 business days. $20 compared to $35 xpresspost. So if they can deliver in 5 days, I'm sold.
xpresspost has been great and I'm even sure speed has gotten really fast lately. But some days I just cant take an hour or two to go drop off the packages. FedEx will come to the door and grab them. And right now that's very appealing. But not if its just problem after problem getting there.

3 important questions before I try again:

Charges to receiver as bad as UPS? [Cant recall FedEx, but I know UPS is just absurd]
Is 5 days realistic? Or is it really 10? [I was getting an average of two weeks plus for deliveries before on ground]

Thanks. Eh.
I used to use Fedex one or two years ago. They were VERY convenient and easy to use. There customer service was phenomenal as they ACTUALLY had people who attend the phone unlike Canadapost. The only reason I quite using Fedex was that I found it cheaper to ship via expedited mail. It's pretty cheap and it arrives within 4-8 days. Canadapost expedited mail delivery time dropped and it's now faster.

The only thing I advise you is that there shipping charge is ONLY the BASE RATE. They charge you $2.50 for residential delivery and $5 extra for RURAL delivery fee.

I've used fedex for about 60 packages last year and NEVER had a problems with customs. The only time I had a problem was when I never knew that you had to include a performa invoice. I found out the hard way...You can make one on fedex's website. It might take an additional one or two minutes to create on there site though. Otherwise, it's pretty straight forward in regards to customs. They clear within one or two days.

UPS, Fedex, DHL and ALL the private couriers rape people on customs charges. Depending on the value of the good's you shouldn't have a problem. The customer won't be charges a penny as long as the package value is under $200. I'm assuming that your used to brokerage fees when items come into Canada from USA...

I've had packages arrive in less than four to five days. It might take a little longer, but trust me, it's WAY faster than Canadapost. Some times there might be a delay of one day or so. Otherwise, there's nothing to complain in regards to delivery.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
pod (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I found it cheaper to ship via expedited mail

No tracking and thats not workable. Items are in the $300-$600 range. I will not ship without tracking. Hence xpresspost

Smaller stuff I use it all the time.

I've used fedex for about 60 packages last year and NEVER had a problems with customs

Great, that's what I wanted to hear

I'm assuming that your used to brokerage fees when items come into Canada from USA..

I am naturally. But some buyers flip straight out bat crazy... If FedEx is as bad as UPS, then I just wont use them at all. Its simply not fair to charge a customer $75 to receive a $200 item. I have dropped suppliers because they only use UPS. Its just insane what they charge

The customer won't be charges a penny as long as the package value is under $200

Is that right? UPS still charges I guarantee. Lots. But if I mark package at $199 with fedex, no charge? For sure?

ONLY the BASE RATE. They charge you $2.50 for residential delivery and $5 extra for RURAL delivery fee

Ya, noticed that right away when I filled out a test shipment. $20 became $30 pretty bloody quick. Pretty bogus fees... But the pick up is nice.
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
No tracking and thats not workable. Items are in the $300-$600 range. I will not ship without tracking. Hence xpresspost
Who says expedited mail does not come with tracking! I've ship daily via expedited mail USA and it DOES come with tracking. It even says on the shipping label , "usps priority mail..."

You get the tracking number as soon as you print the shipping label via paypal. I prepay for my labels via paypal all the time as you get a 25% discount from the regular canadapost rate. You can print a shipping label even if you did not sell an item on ebay.

Quote:
Smaller stuff I use it all the time.
Like I said, expedited mail USA comes with tracking. Make SURE you select EXPEDITED MAIL USA!

Quote:
I am naturally. But some buyers flip straight out bat crazy... If FedEx is as bad as UPS, then I just wont use them at all. Its simply not fair to charge a customer $75 to receive a $200 item. I have dropped suppliers because they only use UPS. Its just insane what they charge
Yes, but the cool thing about UPS is that they do not charge brokerage fees as long as you clear the package yourself. You can arrange your own broker. I haven't done this myself but your more than welcome to try. You can save a fortune and it's not that hard to find a broker to clear your stuff for you. It's not worth my time as I don't recieve that many packages from UPS as often....

Also, if your supplier send the item via Express mail you won't be charged brokerage fees...You will only have to pay for the taxxxxxxxxxxeeeeeessssss! The new hst in ontario is starting to REALLY piss me off!!!!

Quote:
Is that right? UPS still charges I guarantee. Lots. But if I mark package at $199 with fedex, no charge? For sure?
I'm not really sure what the cutoff price is for your customers not getting charged brokerage fees. I've shipped packages from $80 -$130 and was never charges brokerage fees. I've "heard" that you won't be charged brokerage fee as long as the value is under $200. You can call fedex yourself and find out. There customer service is very helpful unlike Canadapost which you have to wait 30 minutes to get a live representative on the phone...:>

Quote:
Ya, noticed that right away when I filled out a test shipment. $20 became $30 pretty bloody quick. Pretty bogus fees... But the pick up is nice.
Depending on how many packages you ship, you can get a good discount. You have to PROVE to them that you are a valued asset to them before going on the phone and asking straight away for a discount..lol

Also, if YOU are a powerseller on ebay, you can get a pretty good discount shipping via UPS. They introduced this new program for power sellers couple of days ago....

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Pm me instead next time if you have questions, it's becoming more of a chat log between two parties.

The Canadian section will always be and ALWAYS HAS been pretty empty..

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
pod (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning View Post
it's becoming more of a chat log between two parties.
Well you've answered all my questions and even some I didn't ask. So for the 3 other Canadian, its good info

Quote:
I've ship daily via expedited mail USA and it DOES come with tracking. It even says on the shipping label , "usps priority mail..."
Really. I need to get my head out of the sand. I was positive xpress was the only way to get tracking! Nice to be wrong for sure. Was this maybe not available a few years ago and I just never checked again? I swear all I had a few years back was small packet and xpresspost. And I have been using xpresspost ever since...

Quote:
Make SURE you select EXPEDITED MAIL USA!
Think I am picking small packet air. Will try for sure

Quote:
they do not charge brokerage fees as long as you clear the package yourself. You can arrange your own broker.
I looked into this a couple years ago and its just not worth the extra greif and costs. I want the customers to get it fast and cheap. But not at my time and money.

Quote:
you can get a pretty good discount shipping via UPS.
I simply refuse to use them. They charged me $63 fees for a $22 cell phone part once. My customers would complain all the time they were getting nailed $70 plus at the door for $250 packages. And some of them would just go ballistic! Last time I was using them it was $29 base brokerage fee, minimum. Thats absurd. They don't actually do anything. They just handle the packages like everyone else and add the fee...
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Really. I need to get my head out of the sand. I was positive xpress was the only way to get tracking! Nice to be wrong for sure. Was this maybe not available a few years ago and I just never checked again? I swear all I had a few years back was small packet and xpresspost. And I have been using xpresspost ever since...

I looked into this a couple years ago and its just not worth the extra greif and costs. I want the customers to get it fast and cheap. But not at my time and money.

I simply refuse to use them. They charged me $63 fees for a $22 cell phone part once. My customers would complain all the time they were getting nailed $70 plus at the door for $250 packages. And some of them would just go ballistic! Last time I was using them it was $29 base brokerage fee, minimum. Thats absurd. They don't actually do anything. They just handle the packages like everyone else and add the fee...
Canadapost expedited mail is the WAAAAAY to go them. The shipping fees are $19 for a 7 kg package going to California. Canadapost determine the price by size and weight. UPS and fedex determine the costs all based on weight. I find it pretty stupid to base the rates on size..but oh well.

UPS and fedex both rape you on fees from packages coming from USA INTO CANADA. Now, it seems that you are messing everything up.

When you import an item into Canada, you are charged taxes, brokerage fees and etc.

When you ship an item from Canada to USA, the customer "might" be charges brokerage fees and some other things depending on the value...

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ya, I just worked out some of the packages I ship and its almost 40% cheaper

It says 5 days. There were never options that fast when I checked before. Xpresspost used to say 5-6 days. Now it says 3. Something has changed for sure over the last couple years. More proof getting stuck in your ways is just plain lazy....
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Ya, I just worked out some of the packages I ship and its almost 40% cheaper

It says 5 days. There were never options that fast when I checked before. Xpresspost used to say 5-6 days. Now it says 3. Something has changed for sure over the last couple years. More proof getting stuck in your ways is just plain lazy....
You need to get out, get some fresh air and come back into your house.

Things have changed over the past few years. I also remember when expedited mail USA "used" to be 6-12 days but now it's 5-8 days. They made a couple of changes this summer in fact. They revamped there shipping services. I think it got extensiver for me due to NEW ONTARIO'S F*CKING hst!

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

""used" to be 6-12 days"

Yes, that's what I remember. It was just too long and no tracking....

But as far as costs go, Canada is one of the most expensive places in the world to ship from. So ya, at those costs it better have gotten faster.

40% Savings in shipping is a good day. Regardless how long its been available. Its great "new day" for me for sure
Old 09-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
""used" to be 6-12 days"

But as far as costs go, Canada is one of the most expensive places in the world to ship from. So ya, at those costs it better have gotten faster.

40% Savings in shipping is a good day. Regardless how long its been available. Its great "new day" for me for sure
Well, America is my shopping mall. I go to the USA every three months to purchase stuff..

Sometimes clothes, sometimes electronics, sometimes household items....

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2010

Longevity: 78%
Default shipping with expedited parcel

I ship always with expedited (tracking included)

also when you ship small packet there is always insurance on it up to 100.00.you just have to wait 75 days before you can file a claim and then wait another 3-6 month for the cheque

here is an answer from Canada post that one buyer received after asking them:

Thank you for your message to Canada Post.

The "An order has been electronically submitted." simply states that the sender created a shipping label using the Canada Post website. This does not mean in any way that this item has been shipped. According to the information I have obtain on this shipping label, this item was shipped by USA Small Packet which does not provide the sender with a tracking option therefore we will not be able to provide you with any tracking information on this item.

A claim for a small packet sent by surface to a U.S. or to an international destination can be initiated by the sender once 75 days have passed after the date of mailing.

A claim for a small packet sent by air to a U.S. or to an International destination can be initiated by the sender once 45 days have passed after the date of mailing.

Regards,

Isabelle Weisman
Customer Service
Canada Post

Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I wanted to bump this.

I have some larger items and fedex ground to US is about the same price. And they have pickup. And I really need the pickup right now time wise

BUT: Site says 5 business days. I really need to know if that's fairly accurate from anyone using fedex ground lately. Ground was 10-12 business days a couple years ago. Thats just too long. These items are in the $600 range so I cant have pissy buyers getting all cranky if two weeks rolls by and still no delivery....

5 or 6 days I can work with. More, I cant
Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Fedex is trustworthy - when they say X days, they mean X(-1) days - barring some unforeseen natural disaster and some WEIRDO address, FedEx = the $hit.

Pricey affair is what keeps me from using them but there is no reason not to trust them. UPS is sketch at times.
Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

But the price for ground to US is cheap for larger packages. Better then UPS and Xpresspost. I know expedited is a good price too
Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Expedited Canada Post has auto-signature confirmation - built in - that's why the price went up in July or so by a buck or 2.
Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ya, right now time is money. I need a pick up option. When i have time CP is my first choice.
Old 10-18-2010

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
""used" to be 6-12 days"

The rates for expited and xpress post this summer have increacesd by 25
%
Old 10-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The rates for expited and xpress post this summer have increacesd by 25
%

Yes..they may have increased..but so has the speed..

Expedited WAS 1-12 days..now the time has been cut in half! A good improvement and well worth it as compared to xpedited.

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

For sure. Way cheaper than xpresspost but as fast as xpresspost used to be. And if you need super rush xpresspost is now super fast. I have had packages get delivered to the US in 2 days.