eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Canada eBay Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/canada-ebay-discussions/)
-   -   How to protect myself from SNAD? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/canada-ebay-discussions/37654-how-protect-myself-snad.html)

Darwin 10-08-2011 12:10 AM

How to protect myself from SNAD?

Hello,

I am soon going to sell an expensive item around 1.5k.
And so i dont want to get scammed.
Obviously ship it with tracking + signature + insurance, however i dont know what else to do.

BTW: Its two phones.

If person claims "item not as described" and ships me back an empty box how would I protect myself?

jeffweico 10-08-2011 01:04 AM

I don't know of any way to be 100% safe on eBay.

Using signature confirmation is a good first step, as it elimnates the "Not Received" possibility. However, this still leaves the buyer with two options under SNAD.

Option 1 is they claim the item is defective. As you mentioned, they could then send back an empty box.

Option 2 is they claim it is a counterfeit. Then they don't even have to send it back. They just have to "certify" (Super-Double-Pinkie-Swear) that they destroyed it.

Luckily, most buyers are honest, so the odds ARE in your favor. But if you absolutely cannot afford the loss, I would sell it somewhere else.

Burning 10-08-2011 01:27 AM

First off - by looking at your flag I can see your from Canada. Now - I would AVOID sending internationally via Canadapost (outside of Canada and USA) as there's been cases where packages have been lost even when it was sent by the fastest service. USE Fedex or UPS with signature confirmation if your selling within Canada/USA. Canadapost tracking sucks - and is usually not accurate.

Darwin 10-08-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning (Post 276035)
First off - by looking at your flag I can see your from Canada. Now - I would AVOID sending internationally via Canadapost (outside of Canada and USA) as there's been cases where packages have been lost even when it was sent by the fastest service. USE Fedex or UPS with signature confirmation if your selling within Canada/USA. Canadapost tracking sucks - and is usually not accurate.

Should i record the whole procedure of me packaging the item and/or the fedex/ups guy packaging the item plus the receipts (of the 2 phones and shipping)?

Burning 10-08-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin (Post 276097)
Should i record the whole procedure of me packaging the item and/or the fedex/ups guy packaging the item plus the receipts (of the 2 phones and shipping)?

Well - it would be recommended you take pictures before shipping the item - but there will always be risks associated with sending pricey items. The best way is to call the buyer, and confirm if his address is correct. Obviously if he used a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number, I would use caution. Check his ebay profile, address on the internet and etc. This should help eliminate some of the risk. Make sure the person is not using a 'shipment' forwarding address. Scammers tend to use those places - a simple google check should help you.

Darwin 10-08-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning (Post 276109)
Well - it would be recommended you take pictures before shipping the item - but there will always be risks associated with sending pricey items. The best way is to call the buyer, and confirm if his address is correct. Obviously if he used a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number, I would use caution. Check his ebay profile, address on the internet and etc. This should help eliminate some of the risk. Make sure the person is not using a 'shipment' forwarding address. Scammers tend to use those places - a simple google check should help you.

Alrighty, thanks for the info. I will do a extensive background check on the potential winner.

yoshistx 10-10-2011 02:24 PM

Let us know what happens and good luck..

TowelKing 11-07-2011 04:54 PM

Regarding the buyer sending back an empty box:

I had this issue with a buyer - only instead of sending back an empty box he decided to send back potatoes.

Unfortunately for him vegetable products are not allowed to enter my country. I received a signed and stamped letter from the agriculture department informing me that I have received a package with potatoes in it and that I need certain permissions to allow it enter into the country.

I scanned the letter and uploaded it to paypal - paypal requested a police report to validate the details I provided. So I went to the police with letter and told them to write that the details are true and sign the letter. Uploaded it to paypal and the case was eventually decided in my favor.

Regarding claiming the item is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ - you should join a receipt or certificate of authenticity to the listing. It would help avoid these cases.

GTB 11-07-2011 04:58 PM

haha i like the outcome of that one lol

hope the buyer got a nice heafty fine for sending illegal goods into your country

koko007 11-08-2011 02:11 AM

Local pickup is the best solution I found !!

GTB 11-08-2011 06:53 AM

yeah,defo local pickup if the item is worth some

people will travel too