Return Request: How many days does a buyer have to open one? HELP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-21-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 42%
Default Return Request: How many days does a buyer have to open one? HELP

Hello everyone, so I sold an item on May 21 and it was delivered on the 23. He left positive feedback. Now almost a month later, the buyer messages me saying the item does not work anymore. Item is fairly expensive, at around $150. Every item is throughly tested. I've sold tons of these and never once had an issue, and I'm confident that he did something wrong to damage it. He hasn't opened up a return request yet, but just wondering how many days does it have to be for me to decline? Or, what should I do in this situation. Please Help! Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-22-2017

Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Return Request: How many days does a buyer have to open one? HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammzy98 View Post
Hello everyone, so I sold an item on May 21 and it was delivered on the 23. He left positive feedback. Now almost a month later, the buyer messages me saying the item does not work anymore. Item is fairly expensive, at around $150. Every item is throughly tested. I've sold tons of these and never once had an issue, and I'm confident that he did something wrong to damage it. He hasn't opened up a return request yet, but just wondering how many days does it have to be for me to decline? Or, what should I do in this situation. Please Help! Thanks!
30 days. BUT he can also open one on paypal. Then, he can call his credit card company..... I've cancelled a lot of returns because they took too long or something else, and only rarely do people go to paypal. So hey.
Old 06-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Exclamation Re: Return Request: How many days does a buyer have to open one? HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
30 days. BUT he can also open one on paypal. Then, he can call his credit card company..... I've cancelled a lot of returns because they took too long or something else, and only rarely do people go to paypal. So hey.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was aware of Paypal, just wanted to know what it was for eBay. I am going to be messaging him on troubleshooting it hopefully that takes a few days, but I am confident that damage was done on his part and nothing to do with the item. So basically I just have to wait it out until June 24 for eBay? Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2017

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was aware of Paypal, just wanted to know what it was for eBay. I am going to be messaging him on troubleshooting it hopefully that takes a few days, but I am confident that damage was done on his part and nothing to do with the item. So basically I just have to wait it out until June 24 for eBay? Thanks again!
No problem. And yeah, stretch it out until the 24rd, while genuinely trying to help him trouble shoot.
Old 06-22-2017

Longevity: 73%

Last time I checked, PP will allow you to open a case for 180 days, if not longer.

Some credit cards allow 1 year to 18 months, so if they paid via a credit card through PP it can come back for a long, long time.
Old 06-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Exclamation Re: Return Request: How many days does a buyer have to open one? HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
Last time I checked, PP will allow you to open a case for 180 days, if not longer.

Some credit cards allow 1 year to 18 months, so if they paid via a credit card through PP it can come back for a long, long time.
I was aware of the whole PayPal case days, which is stupid in my opinion, but to accept a return and refund while taking over a $150 loss for HIS fault a month later, no way I am going to do that. To bad eBay and/or PayPal do not care.
Old 06-22-2017

Yeah, you might not be going to do that, but EB and PP will do it for you, you have no choice.

What will happen is they will take the money from you and give it to the customer, and let him keep the item too, so you'll lose both.

Better to negotiate a settlement and either get your item back and refund, or give partial refund to mitigate your loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

^^Agreed. It's going to be far less painful for you in the long run if you just accept the guy's return. Both eBay and Paypal would rather screw over a small seller than lose a buyer.
Old 06-22-2017

I don't know what these people are saying, but it more than likely WILL NOT be less painful to just accept the return.

If he opens a case, you'd have to accept the return anyways.
If he opens a paypal case, you'll have to accept the return anyways, AND he pays shipping.

Both of those things are a POSSIBILITY. If you refund him right away, you give up all possibilities.

I'm not entirely seeing the less painful part. I've won TWICE this month alone with actual cases open, for more than $150.

Yeah, ebay and paypal would rather screw you over, but there are ways to get around that, and win. Don't give up yet.

Talk to the guy and help him fix it. Get him talking. Get him to admit things. That's how I always win. They always admit things.
Old 06-23-2017
Threadstarter  

Hey everyone I have update on this, which is very weird. So I did not even have the chance to reply to the message to troubleshoot his issue (messaged me on June 22), he just opened up a return request the same day. His reason was defective. He stated it does not work anymore, but the item he connects my product to still works (which assumes it is my item that is defective). I accept the return, pick the label eBay provides. Then later that day (June 22), he closes the return saying he can't get the item he uses to work anymore with my product or another product (assuming he can't confirm which is the issue). Return closed by him June 22. Couple of questions:

1. Will I be charged for that prepaid label if he does not use it (pretty sure eBay says it will be billed to your monthly invoice if only used).

2. Does this reset the 30 days for trying to open a return? Can he reopen a return request or start a new one?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2017

Quote:
Hey everyone I have update on this, which is very weird. So I did not even have the chance to reply to the message to troubleshoot his issue (messaged me on June 22), he just opened up a return request the same day. His reason was defective. He stated it does not work anymore, but the item he connects my product to still works (which assumes it is my item that is defective). I accept the return, pick the label eBay provides. Then later that day (June 22), he closes the return saying he can't get the item he uses to work anymore with my product or another product (assuming he can't confirm which is the issue). Return closed by him June 22. Couple of questions:

1. Will I be charged for that prepaid label if he does not use it (pretty sure eBay says it will be billed to your monthly invoice if only used).

2. Does this reset the 30 days for trying to open a return? Can he reopen a return request or start a new one?

Thanks.
Can't reopen the return. But he can still do so on paypal. It all depends on what he tells paypal. You won't be charged for the label unless he uses it.
Old 06-24-2017

Congrats, you got lucky.

James13v is correct about the label.

He's also far better at getting out of these matters whole than I am.