eBay stealth questions DNS? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-18-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 39%
Default eBay stealth questions DNS?

Hi!

Basically I was trying to set up a safe way to login to a stealth account and I have built a VPN on a server just for myself, but the DNS is different from my country, does eBay look at it? Maybe it is safer to use mobile internet as it gets a new ip every connection? What do you guys use?

Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-18-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%
Default Re: eBay stealth questions DNS?

What country is the VPN and what country is the dns??
How to clean photos
Best image resizer
Old 08-18-2017
Threadstarter  

VPN is in Lithuania and DNS goes to Finland
Old 08-18-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%

How about changing the DNS manually?
https://www.techworm.net/2016/08/cha...et-speeds.html

Old 08-18-2017
Threadstarter  

Does not seem to work that way using OpenVPN :( Anyone used openvpn?
Old 08-18-2017

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noentry View Post
Does not seem to work that way using OpenVPN :( Anyone used openvpn?
What kind of client are you using? Windows or Linux? & What kind of server? Windows or Linux? What OS or distro's are you using. Redhat or Debain based.

What VPN server are you running? OpenVPN? or just a OpenVPN client?

You're most likely going to have to set it up in the client.ovpn config file. Start your google searches there.

For a temp fix in a debain based linux client try:
$ sudo sh -c "echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf"

or

$ sudo su
$ echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> "/etc/resolv.conf"

8.8.8.8 = google dns / just replace with your dns server address

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
Let me save your troubles...
The Network config GUI for the client eth0 or wlan0 won't change anything... It changes the dns to the wrong network adapter... The default route gets deleted during connection to the vpn and switches to the virtual network adapter.

I believe this works on paid services like 24vc because they already set up the server side DNS through DHCP so the only possible leak could come from the client side. I've never used a paid or free service so I can't tell you for sure. But I have read their tutorials, but I know it didn't work for me that way with my set up on Linux.

Last edited by nate; 08-18-2017 at 10:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nate For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017

It can also be set up on the server side which is how I configure my vpnservers but I use SoftEther server and Client.

Pushing DHCP options to clients

The OpenVPN server can push DHCP options such as DNS and WINS server addresses to clients (some caveats to be aware of). Windows clients can accept pushed DHCP options natively, while non-Windows clients (Linux) can accept them by using a client-side up script which parses the foreign_option_n environmental variable list. See the man page or openvpn-users mailing list archive for non-Windows foreign_option_n documentation and script examples.

For example, suppose you would like connecting clients to use an internal DNS server at 10.66.0.4 or 10.66.0.5 and a WINS server at 10.66.0.8. Add this to the OpenVPN server configuration:

push "dhcp-option DNS 10.66.0.4"
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.66.0.5"
push "dhcp-option WINS 10.66.0.8"
To test this feature on Windows, run the following from a command prompt window after the machine has connected to an OpenVPN server:

ipconfig /all
The entry for the TAP-Windows adapter should show the DHCP options which were pushed by the server.

Last edited by nate; 08-18-2017 at 09:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nate For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,529 Times in 2,184 Posts
Activity: 75%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Hi!

Basically I was trying to set up a safe way to login to a stealth account and I have built a VPN on a server just for myself, but the DNS is different from my country, does eBay look at it? Maybe it is safer to use mobile internet as it gets a new ip every connection? What do you guys use?

Thanks!

You can do that or learn how to reset the modem to get new IPs each time.

I recommend you read the stealth guide, it'll teach you how to create and operate your accounts correctly.
Old 08-18-2017

There may be an obvious problem. If your server is in a different country than your trying to sell in. Your data-center ip will give you away. Like I said this is obvious so I'd guess you already though of this.
Old 08-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
What kind of client are you using? Windows or Linux? & What kind of server? Windows or Linux? What OS or distro's are you using. Redhat or Debain based.

What VPN server are you running? OpenVPN? or just a OpenVPN client?

You're most likely going to have to set it up in the client.ovpn config file. Start your google searches there.

For a temp fix in a debain based linux client try:
$ sudo sh -c "echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf"

or

$ sudo su
$ echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> "/etc/resolv.conf"

8.8.8.8 = google dns / just replace with your dns server address

The Network config GUI for the client eth0 or wlan0 won't change anything... It changes the dns to the wrong network adapter... The default route gets deleted during connection to the vpn and switches to the virtual network adapter.

I believe this works on paid services like 24vc because they already set up the server side DNS through DHCP so the only possible leak could come from the client side. I've never used a paid or free service so I can't tell you for sure. But I have read their tutorials, but I know it didn't work for me that way with my set up on Linux.
Nate, that is some great information, I am running Debian and I have tried adding google dns, from time to time I get a lithuanian DNS server, but normally it is Finland, could it bet that the closest server is in Finland? Maybe that is the problem. I tried playing with the dns servers in both client and server config files, but it seems like it does not care and gives me 74.125.46.* DNS IPs that belongs to google. What do you guys think am I safe connecting like this?

I used to use my home IP address that is in Lithuania to login to eBay UK, before Ive got problems with paypal.
Old 08-22-2017

Quote:
Nate, that is some great information, I am running Debian and I have tried adding google dns, from time to time I get a lithuanian DNS server, but normally it is Finland, could it bet that the closest server is in Finland? Maybe that is the problem. I tried playing with the dns servers in both client and server config files, but it seems like it does not care and gives me 74.125.46.* DNS IPs that belongs to google. What do you guys think am I safe connecting like this?

I used to use my home IP address that is in Lithuania to login to eBay UK, before Ive got problems with paypal.
I can only guess when it comes to DNS in Europe in regards to if that is the closest Google DNS server.

I found this to push DNS from the server.

Push DNS Changes to Redirect All Traffic Through the VPN

The default settings will create the VPN connection between the two machines, but will not force any connections to use the tunnel. If you wish to use the VPN to route all of your traffic, you will likely want to push the DNS settings to the client computers.

To do this, uncomment a few directives that will configure client machines to redirect all web traffic through the VPN. Find the redirect-gateway section and remove the semicolon ";" from the beginning of the redirect-gateway line to uncomment it:

$ nano /etc/openvpn/server.conf

push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"

Just below this in /etc/openvpn/server.conf, find the dhcp-option section. Again, remove the ";" from in front of both of the lines to uncomment them:

push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222"
push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.220.220"

This should assist clients in re-configuring their DNS settings to use the VPN tunnel as the default gateway.

I'm use to removing #'s to uncomment but it looks like there is a ;'s to remove to enable here.

208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 may possibly be the default to use the DNS nameserver of the data-centers ISP. I say this because in SoftEther it's the default gateway address of 192.168.30.1.

If one of those ip addresses aren't the default gateway address, you can run command $ ip neigh on the Linux client while connected to the VPN to get default gateway address. Then try using it for DNS nameserver if you want to use the DNS nameserver of the data-centers ISP. It may or may not work.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 would give me a ip's like 74.125.46.XX belonging to google as well.

Last edited by nate; 08-22-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2017

Longevity: 40%

You can change the DNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using
Old 08-22-2017

You could try this as well. I ran into a bug in Ubuntu that prevented the DNS nameserver change by DHCP request. Debian may have the same issue if you've already set up the server by uncommented redirect gateway and push dns and it still doesn't work try this.

Disconnect from the VPN.

Next edit the /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file by:
$ sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Comment dns=dnsmaq to disable it.
dns=dnsmasq

(i.e., add a # so that it looks like the following)
#dns=dnsmasq

Then write the file ctrl+o then ctrl+m then exit ctrl+x

Restart network manager by:
$ sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager