Can we use any payment processor with eBay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-28-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default Can we use any payment processor with eBay?

I've received conflicting information regarding this and I just wanted to clear some stuff up. Since a Paypal account is no longer required to sell on eBay, can we accept payments through any payment processor we'd like? Thanks for the help!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Can we use any payment processor with eBay?

No. There are only 3 or 4 payment gateways other than PP you're allowed to use. Authorize.net and Payflow are two I know of for certain. You can find the rest in your eBay account.
Old 08-28-2017

Longevity: 38%

Payflow is PP
Old 08-28-2017
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
No. There are only 3 or 4 payment gateways other than PP you're allowed to use. Authorize.net and Payflow are two I know of for certain. You can find the rest in your eBay account.
And please correct me if I'm wrong, but both Payflow and Authorize.net are owned by Paypal, right?😔
Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,903 Times in 8,196 Posts
Activity: 97%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaiera View Post
And please correct me if I'm wrong, but both Payflow and Authorize.net are owned by Paypal, right?😔
Payflow is but last I checked, Authorize.net is not
Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Just to be clear, Authorize.net is a payment gateway and does not settle payments on it's own; you still need a merchant processor/bank to work with Authorize.net to get your money.

Depending on what you sell and other factors, you might find the underwriting criteria for a merchant account is more of a headache than even PayPal with all their B.S. that goes with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
rsot (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post

Depending on what you sell and other factors, you might find the underwriting criteria for a merchant account is more of a headache than even PayPal with all their B.S. that goes with it.
RE the first part of your post - I know, but the payment gateway is the part which is linked to eBay and not your merchant account. I was trying to give as direct an answer as possible. There are only 4 payment gateways approved by eBay (Auth.net is one, they aren't owned by Paypal).

You're right about the application process for a merchant account being a nightmare. If you're selling anything you can't definitely prove the origin of then you most likely won't be approved. On top of that, as I've said tons of times here, 90% of eBay buyers refuse to pay through anything other than Paypal. Additionally, mobile customers can only pay with Paypal. They get an error message if you're processing payments exclusively with a merchant account and they try buying from you on a mobile device. App or mobile browser - same error.

In my personal opinion it's not worth messing around with a merchant account unless you have no other option. Using Paypal is worth putting up with their crap.
Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Good point phaz0rz.
The issue remains that buys are so indoctrinated to using only PayPal. I've heard of sellers switching to a merchant account only to find their sales plummet.
Old 08-28-2017

Longevity: 72%

I think people are reluctant to use payment methods they aren't familiar with. I certainly am.
Old 08-28-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
I think people are reluctant to use payment methods they aren't familiar with. I certainly am.
Oh I understand where they're coming from - and frankly I probably wouldn't buy from an eBay seller who isn't accepting Paypal either. It's really not that scary though. Customers are sent to eBay checkout rather than Paypal checkout where they enter their card details rather than their Paypal login info. They're protected by eBay either way but since Paypal isn't involved most customers think they're handing some random eBay seller all their credit card details (which they aren't) and request cancellation of their order.

Don't do it OP. It's seriously not worth the hassle or the expense. Consider adding a payment gateway to your listings/stores as an alternative payment method if you want the ability to run cards directly. Removing Paypal as a payment option should be avoided at all costs if you want your stuff to sell though.