eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Returns automatically approved on eBay (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/111836-returns-automatically-approved-ebay.html)

nodeal 10-31-2017 10:57 AM

Returns automatically approved on eBay

Hey guys this past week I have been having an issue where eBay is automatically approving returns on a bunch of my stealth accounts. I have checked my settings and I do not have any automatic return approvals set, so the issue does not seem to be with my settings.

These are every day type of returns - for example one return was automatically approved because the clothing did not fit! It also seems to be happening on accounts where it never used to happen on. Did eBay change something? Or is it a glitch?

phaz0rz 10-31-2017 11:06 AM

Re: Returns automatically approved on eBay

I think it's a new policy being implemented to compete with Amazon's "hassle-free" return program.

I'm still getting "return request" in most cases and I'm given the typical options to either send the buyer a label, confirm I've already sent a label, or send a refund. But I've had two returns approved automatically now. If I'm not mistaken both were not as described returns.

In short : it's not just your account. I've seen it too.

camouflage 10-31-2017 11:19 AM

ebay start the auto approve return on buyer remorse (buyer pay return shipping).

nodeal 10-31-2017 11:23 AM

So what exactly is getting auto-approved?

Because I have had it happen for items not fitting which is usually a standard answer for me which I will either message them the return address or offer them a partial refund. This type of return results in buyer paying return shipping.

This would result in big losses as the address eBay automatically approves is a stealth address and different from the actual address I receive returns on. The obvious reason for this is that I do not want to list my shipping address the same across every stealth account I have. I already have a handful of items that are currently being shipped to stealth addresses that are either invalid or I don't have access to. Big problem.

phaz0rz 10-31-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camouflage (Post 881091)
ebay start the auto approve return on buyer remorse (buyer pay return shipping).

False. Neither of the returns I had automatically approved were buyer-faulted and neither of the buyers had to pay return shipping.

phaz0rz 10-31-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodeal (Post 881093)
So what exactly is getting auto-approved?

Because I have had it happen for items not fitting which is usually a standard answer for me which I will either message them the return address or offer them a partial refund. This type of return results in buyer paying return shipping.

This would result in big losses as the address eBay automatically approves is a stealth address and different from the actual address I receive returns on. The obvious reason for this is that I do not want to list my shipping address the same across every stealth account I have. I already have a handful of items that are currently being shipped to stealth addresses that are either invalid or I don't have access to. Big problem.

I hear you and I can't give a definitive answer at this point for what kind of returns are automatically approved. I can say for certain it's not only on "buyer-faulted" returns though because neither of mine were the buyer's fault.

This has messed me up too both times it's happened to me. Luckily these were cheaper items I could afford to write off the loss on. I handle returns by emailing customers return shipping labels directly from the stamps.com software, so eBay is taking away all my options when they automatically approve a return.

If you need the item(s) back, you can try reaching out to the buyer and see if they'll work with you. You could ask them to use a return shipping label provided by you through an email rather than the return shipping label provided to them by eBay. Make up some story about how you recently moved to another state and you haven't been able to update your eBay account yet. You would still be paying for postage on a return where you aren't normally obligated to pay but at least you would get your stuff back from the customer.

nodeal 10-31-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 881095)
I hear you and I can't give a definitive answer at this point for what kind of returns are automatically approved. I can say for certain it's not only on "buyer-faulted" returns though because neither of mine were the buyer's fault.

This has messed me up too both times it's happened to me. Luckily these were cheaper items I could afford to write off the loss on. I handle returns by emailing customers return shipping labels directly from the stamps.com software, so eBay is taking away all my options when they automatically approve a return.

If you need the item(s) back, you can try reaching out to the buyer and see if they'll work with you. You could ask them to use a return shipping label provided by you through an email rather than the return shipping label provided to them by eBay. Make up some story about how you recently moved to another state and you haven't been able to update your eBay account yet. You would still be paying for postage on a return where you aren't normally obligated to pay but at least you would get your stuff back from the customer.

When the item is damaged or defective, or wrong item was sent, I send buyers prepaid labels too, but from Shipstation. However, if the item doesn't fit and they are obligated to pay return shipping, I usually just message them the address and they write it directly on the package and pay for postage at their local Post Office.

However, the idea of having to make up a story every time I get a return, AND pay for return postage every time I get a return when I normally wouldn't be obligated to - this would be a logistical and financial nightmare. With my volume I process over a hundred unique returns a week.

nodeal 10-31-2017 11:35 AM

From bay's seller center:

Automatic acceptance of returns

Beginning in October 2017, returns requests may automatically be accepted to make the returns process easier for you and your buyers. eBay will automatically accept a return request and provide a return shipping label to the buyer when the buyer pays for return shipping. If you offer free returns or if you’re required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days.
Automatic acceptance allows buyers to ship items back to you quickly and efficiently, and get their refunds sooner. You will also save time and receive reimbursement for final value fees.
You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your return preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

nodeal 10-31-2017 11:55 AM

Has anybody tried using the same return shipping address for their eBay stealth accounts? I usually message the buyer the same return shipping address and this has worked across my stealth accounts without causing any links, but what about actually putting the return shipping address within my eBay settings for each account?

Anybody get away with doing this?

SaiJin 10-31-2017 11:55 AM

It's not really new, they have been rolling these out on eBay little by little and now they are doing it even more.

It's one of those things that you should start to expect and live with if you want to use eBay. But you can still control it to a degree on your settings.

Still thought, no matter the rules.... buyer wants to return, seller must accept.

nodeal 10-31-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaiJin (Post 881106)
It's not really new, they have been rolling these out on eBay little by little and now they are doing it even more.

It's one of those things that you should start to expect and live with if you want to use eBay. But you can still control it to a degree on your settings.

Still thought, no matter the rules.... buyer wants to return, seller must accept.

Thanks for the reply - What "control" do you have in your settings?

My issue is when selling clothing a lot of times it does not fit. I am more than happy to accept returns, but usually I just reply to the return request with a message basically stating "Keep for a small partial refund or return it. If you want to return it, our return address is xxxx"

Now, however, the return request is being automatically approved. So a label is automatically being generated to a stealth address I have no access to. I have many many stealth accounts, I sell high volume, and individually messaging each customer is a daunting task. Not to mention most customers would just ship to the address associated with the shipping label and ignore my message to ship to a different address. This would result in huge losses.

Has anybody tried using the same return shipping address for their eBay stealth accounts? I usually message the buyer the same return shipping address and this has worked across my stealth accounts without causing any links, but what about actually putting the return shipping address within my eBay settings for each account? Anybody get away with doing this?

If anyone has a solution to this problem I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

SaiJin 10-31-2017 12:02 PM

My settings is actually "no return" , but that doesn't make a difference. As I mentioned about the rules... eBay works like this: You can set whatever rule you'd love to have, but eBay is going to do what eBay is going to do, which is NOT following your rules".

No, you don't want to put the same address onto eBay itself, contacting them via normal email can work until one of those buyers is going to act like a baby and report you.

The easiest solution is to have multiple PO boxes for return. Seems to be the cheapest.

nodeal 10-31-2017 12:06 PM

Unfortunately multiple PO Boxes is just not an option for me as I have hundreds of stealth accounts.

ebaystealth1974 10-31-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodeal (Post 881109)

If anyone has a solution to this problem I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

According to what you posted directly from ebay, "If you offer free returns or if you’re required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days."

... just offer free returns... then they aren't automatically accepted. You'll be out of shipping, but that's better than being out of the cost of the product. Unless you're selling cheap sh*t.

nodeal 10-31-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 (Post 881131)
According to what you posted directly from ebay, "If you offer free returns or if you’re required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days."

... just offer free returns... then they aren't automatically accepted. You'll be out of shipping, but that's better than being out of the cost of the product. Unless you're selling cheap sh*t.

Yeah that is the best solution so far. My expenses would go up quite a bit paying for everyone's return shipping, but it is the most cost effective way to adapt to ebays new policy I can think of thus far.

oompaloompa 10-31-2017 02:22 PM

someone mentioned ebay are competing with amazon for auto returns, but I am pretty sure my amazon has the option for seller to approve a return first - at which point you can always refund if you do not want it returning to a stealth address or something.

ebaystealth1974 10-31-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodeal (Post 881148)
Yeah that is the best solution so far. My expenses would go up quite a bit paying for everyone's return shipping, but it is the most cost effective way to adapt to ebays new policy I can think of thus far.

And maybe look into any avoidability in your returns. Not saying there is any, I'm just saying look into it.

nodeal 10-31-2017 08:58 PM

So it seems if you offer free returns, eBay allows you 3 business days to respond. But if you do not end up providing a return shipping label for your buyer within 3 days, eBay will go ahead and automatically approve the return request anyway. So this does not seem to be much help for me, especially because when a return occurs I usually offer partial refunds. Many times a buyer will not reply within the 3 business days.

One solution I have seemed to find from eBay's FAQs on this topic is to simply choose "No Returns Accepted" on my listings. This would make any return request outside of my return policy, and therefore no automatic approval will occur on ebay's end. Of course a buyer can still open a return request, but it will not be automatically approved or have a label generated, which is what I want to avoid.

ebaystealth1974 11-01-2017 09:48 AM

Why not send them your own label within those 3 days?

nodeal 11-01-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 (Post 881355)
Why not send them your own label within those 3 days?

I don't want to pay for return shipping every time an item doesn't fit or a buyer changed their minds. I also offer partial refunds to buyers if either of these two scenarios occurs which seems to keep about 50% of them happy. But if there is a 3 day limit for me to upload a label until ebay automatically approves the return, that would affect the communication between the buyer and myself during those 3 days.

I also don't think USPS has an option to generate a return label where you only get billed if the buyer uses the label to return the item. So it seems I would be prepaying for a bunch of labels that may never get used if I just upload a label to avoid the 3 day limits. Correct me if I am wrong on this one :)

I am going to see how "No Returns" goes, see if my sales really get affected that much

ebaystealth1974 11-01-2017 11:22 AM

It comes down to shipping cost, or loss of your returned product. It's up to you to know which one looses you more money.(I can't imagine it being shipping lol) Until you can find a good way around it.

So don't use USPS??!!

We all know that there is no such thing as "no returns"!

glacier922 03-27-2018 08:22 AM

I have just experienced this problem, got a bunch of return request, then within a minute, automatically approved. I'm like WTF????

So, if I set the return preference, return label paid by seller, then I won't have this stupid automatic approved return BS is that correct? Did anyone set this option, and no more of this automatic return BS???? Thanks.