Biggest mistake. Used the wifi of my suspended ebay account. Is it over? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-10-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Biggest mistake. Used the wifi of my suspended ebay account. Is it over?

I think I made the biggest mistake I could ever make.
Without noticing I used the same wifi of my suspended ebay account. Don't get me wrong, I live in a shared accommodation where there's probably many other ebay accounts.
Will this from now on, put me in the suspicious account list of ebay?

I'm always extremely careful, but for whatever reason, every time I turn on the wifi on the user account (on my mac) where I have my stealth, it automatically connects to the wifi of the house. Initially it waited for my choice, now it doesn't. And so each time I have to switch to the hotspot of my smartphone, before I can open the browser. This time apparently I forgot.

Your comments and opinion on the matter are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by inneedofhelp; 05-10-2018 at 06:15 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-10-2018

Longevity: 55%
Default Re: Biggest mistake. Used the wifi of my suspended ebay account. Is it over?

If i understand correctly you usually use teethering, but this time you signed in on your home Wifi, that has your old suspended account?

It may well have you flagged- but no point in worrying about it now, either way it's done. Throw yourself into building your stealth accounts.

For next time, 'forget your wifi network' In wifi settings, before connecting to mobile. Plus if the hotspot disconnects by accident, it wont automatically connect to the compromised IP.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingpot12 For This Useful Post:
inneedofhelp (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,250 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 61%
Default Re: Biggest mistake. Used the wifi of my suspended ebay account. Is it over?

A "one off" IP linking alone will not compromise your account. IPs and wifis are sometimes shared.

Try to avoid it for the future
The Following User Says Thank You to ilcarletto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Is there a way to prevent my mac to automatically connect to other wifi and just pick my hotspot?
Old 05-10-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

One off something like this wont matter. If you're in the UK its unlikely to be a Static IP either, so it's unlikely to even be the same IP your account was once suspended on.

So I wouldn't worry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
Is there a way to prevent my mac to automatically connect to other wifi and just pick my hotspot?
This should help.

https://www.imore.com/how-stop-auto-...fi-network-mac

Depending on your version of Mac, steps may be slightly different, but for the most part settings haven't changed much over the last few OS updates so shouldn't be very different.
Old 05-10-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

Once should be ok. It's the other people in your household that I'm more concerned about.

Would you be able to grab your own router so you have more control over this in the future?
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Agreed, one off is rare to cause issues anymore.

Now eBay/PayPal are looking for other linking factors like same address/name/phone/name, etc.

I suspect you'll be fine.
Old 05-10-2018

Longevity: 38%

@inneedofhelp my advice is different to the other guys.
First: nothing to worry about. Carry on as usual. Don't lose sleep.

Second: it can come back and bite you. It all depends on what happens to your stealth accounts. If things go wrong. If you get a few flags. If you get negatives. If you get listings pulled. Then an evil robot inside of ebay will connect dots. If one of those searches shows an IP address match - game over.

So... you only need to worry if you cross the thresholds ebay have.

I know someone who had an account suspended and he got banned for life. He didn't actually do anything wrong! After fighting ebay he got to the root of the problem: his account was used on the same PC as another account (belonging to someone else) that got banned - 7 years previous.

Keep your nose clean and you'll be OK.
But along the way... build up more accounts.
Old 05-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Not sure if this could be connected to the episode, but I've just sold a toy, for very little money, and paypal sends me this message :

"You received a payment from 'Such and such'. We've placed the money for this transaction on hold because we believe this transaction may involve a higher than usual risk. Providing no issues rise between you and the buyer, the funds will be released in the afternoon of 31 May 2018."

Even ebay did this a couple of times in my early transactions, but paypal never. And I had way more expensive sales.
Old 05-10-2018

Longevity: 73%

Probably a coincidence. If they're going to do something they'll just do it, they won't send warning shots across your bow...
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
Not sure if this could be connected to the episode, but I've just sold a toy, for very little money, and paypal sends me this message :

"You received a payment from 'Such and such'. We've placed the money for this transaction on hold because we believe this transaction may involve a higher than usual risk. Providing no issues rise between you and the buyer, the funds will be released in the afternoon of 31 May 2018."

Even ebay did this a couple of times in my early transactions, but paypal never. And I had way more expensive sales.
Holds are not always down to transaction value, it could be down to the sender of the payment too. So many factors, its very difficult to say it was down to this IP issue either.

If its of huge concern, just take things easy with this account. Hopefully you are running other accounts at the same time.