Ebay recognises me even when logged out - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-09-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Ebay recognises me even when logged out

Hello everyone,
I thought that browsing on ebay without being logged in, allowed you to be anonymous. I was looking at some listings (and I was logged out) and then later when those listings ended, ebay sent me an email saying that they ended but there were similar items available...why is that? I thought that I was free and anonymous.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Cheers!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: Ebay recognises me even when logged out

Anonymous from eBay?

HAHAHAHA! - They are watching you closely.

eBay can even see you taking a shower.

All kidding and jokes aside tho.

Many sites have many other methods of "watching" your browsing activity even when you are NOT logged into, or even visiting their site. One common method is though web beacons, e-mail/javascript, etc.

You know all those little ads you see on some sites? They might be keeping track of what external pages you visit and send that back to the affiliate or advertiser.

That's why some people see ads for golf clubs right after searching for them through google, or seeing "similar items" on eBay when you search up those items elsewhere.

This is nothing new and has been going on a very long time.
Old 09-09-2018
Threadstarter  

I can understand that they secretly track me, but, sending an email in regards to the listings I've checked it's their admission of secretly tracking me, which I don't understand.
Old 09-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%

They still know who you are even if you are logged out because of cookies. Want them to not track you then use a new browser and IP
Old 09-09-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
They still know who you are even if you are logged out because of cookies. Want them to not track you then use a new browser and IP
So if for example I'm using my main computer account (where I have also my ebay suspended account that I use only to buy) and I look on ebay (logged out) for ended listings of items that I will soon sell on my stealth account (using a different user on my computer), can ebay become suspicious?

Or, if I use my main computer account (where the suspended account is) to look for items that I want to buy with my stealth account to gain feedbacks (obviously using a different user on my computer), can ebay become suspicious?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
So if for example I'm using my main computer account (where I have also my ebay suspended account that I use only to buy) and I look on ebay (logged out) for ended listings of items that I will soon sell on my stealth account (using a different user on my computer), can ebay become suspicious?

Or, if I use my main computer account (where the suspended account is) to look for items that I want to buy with my stealth account to gain feedbacks (obviously using a different user on my computer), can ebay become suspicious?

Thanks
They don't really become "suspicious" like that - the cookies will be there and give you recommendations when you go on other sights (as an example).

You would have to be logged on, sharing IP, cookies, etc for a strong link to be formed
Old 09-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Everything on eBay is automated. They are not "suspicious" of you, that's just the way their system works by default. It's perfectly normal.

Want complete 100% privacy? Stop using the web and unplug your computer.

Seriously, if you haven't already done so, you might want to read the stealth guide if you haven't already done so. It would address a alot of your questions in regards to keeping these accounts truly separate from one another to avoid cross-linking from occuring.
Old 09-11-2018

Longevity: 32%

eBay knows everything about you, they know when you shut down your PC, when you go to work, when you do anything, heck even if you dream about something...
Old 09-11-2018

Longevity: 72%

They're sending ads for things you looked at to your email!

No tracking required at all.

You're overly paranoid.

Similar ads shown through your browser are due to cookies and beacons and the like. It's sort of disconcerting, though.
Old 09-11-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,548 Times in 2,201 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

As per the stealth guide, you need to use a new dedicated windows account.

If you keep using the same account even when logged out, your cookies and IP are all recorded.