Will Chinese sellers ever be shown the door on eBay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-10-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default Will Chinese sellers ever be shown the door on eBay?

There is something truly bizarre with eBay, that is, Chinese sellers who come by, but prices by 80% or more and practically shut down all local sellers.

Weirdly enough, the goofs at eBay seem to be happy with this as long as they get a cut of the sale.

Yesterday I was at a college party and I asked some people about their online shopping preferences. Almost all of them said the same thing about eBay, people think eBay is a junkyard. Few of them said they stay away from eBay because the design of the website gives a feeling that stuff bought there are of a low-quality. I know that's a goofy argument, but web-design play a huge factor for a lot of people.

If you look for iPhone cases on Amazon (UK, US or DE...etc), you will notice that prices are not low and they have a range of 7-30 $ and people are buying stuff off Amazon like crazy. If you go to eBay.com and look for the same items, you will be bombarded by listings from Chinese sellers and prices are 1-2 $!!!

eBay is introducing the Catalog system, which I think will cut a ton of sellers even further.

I can't help myself, but think that eBay is trying to shoot itself in the foot.

WTF is wrong with this company? Is it too hard to clean house and up their game a little bit or what? People are not happy with Chinese sellers at all and feedback scores are a living evidence.

What are your thoughts on this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-10-2018

Longevity: 38%
Default Re: Will Chinese sellers ever be shown the door on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
People are not happy with Chinese sellers at all and feedback scores are a living evidence.

What are your thoughts on this?
I think those are just dumbass buyers who don't read to know where the item is coming from.

If you buy from china, yet are displeased with the shipping time and leave negative feedback... you are a moron.
Old 11-10-2018

Longevity: 31%

As long as they earn enough from the "Chinese", they wont do anything... why should they? lel
Old 11-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

They will always survive and flourish - or try to.
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyamIbanned View Post
As long as they earn enough from the "Chinese", they wont do anything... why should they? lel

Because eBay is nowadays stuck with a reputation of being a Chinese-Junkyard. This is a big reason why people buy from Amazon and not eBay.
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
They will always survive and flourish - or try to.

The first 200 search results are almost exclusively from Chinese vendors. No local UK or US seller could ever compete with that.
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post
I think those are just dumbass buyers who don't read to know where the item is coming from.

If you buy from china, yet are displeased with the shipping time and leave negative feedback... you are a moron.

Most complaints are about item not as described or low-quality. Very few are about shipping times.
Old 11-10-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

YOu mean their prices on eBay are 80% lower than most sellers?
Yea, it's been a trend for many years.

It's 2 different marketplace so one is a yardsale and the other has more trust.
Old 11-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

I know my kids look for those $1 - $2 phone cases. They dont care if it takes few weeks.
Old 11-10-2018

Quote:
The first 200 search results are almost exclusively from Chinese vendors. No local UK or US seller could ever compete with that.

For what query? Back when I sold cheap chinese sh1t, I dominated over the chinese... people don't like waiting 2 weeks to get something.
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
For what query? Back when I sold cheap chinese sh1t, I dominated over the chinese... people don't like waiting 2 weeks to get something.

Go to eBay.com and just search for iPhone case, hit ctrl+f and type "China".

How do these sellers even make a profit for god sake if they sell the damn thing for 2$?
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

The same active Chinese vendors on eBay would definitely love to transfer the same eBay experience to Amazon, but a quick search on Amazon makes it clear that Amazon didn't allow that horse**** to take place on their platform.

I wish there was a way to deliver this message of frustration to the people making decisions at eBay though!!
Old 11-10-2018

Quote:
Go to eBay.com and just search for iPhone case, hit ctrl+f and type "China".

You must have yours sorted by lowest price or something lol... there's not a single $2 case from china on my first page of 200 results. Most of them are $6-$10 and from the US.

All the results near the top are either "promoted" or fast and free... which are obviously NOT from China.

Last edited by ebaystealth1974; 11-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
You must have yours sorted by lowest price or something lol... there's not a single $2 case from china on my first page of 200 results. Most of them are $6-$10 and from the US.

All the results near the top are either "promoted" or fast and free... which are obviously NOT from China.

You're absolutely right about eBay.com!! I've just changed my IP address to an American one and searched, search results are similar to the one you're talking about. I guess the search engine gave me offers that originated exclusively from China because I was browsing the site from a German IP.

However, I connected to eBay.co.uk from a British IP address and the results were the same as before... Cases with a price-range of 2-3 GBP

I read an article a while back about huge import tax evasion schemes on UK ports. Maybe that's the real reason behind low prices on eBay.co.uk. Otherwise, how on earth could an UK-based seller sell a case for 2 GBP and still make a profit after paying PayPal, eBay and shipping fees. The math just doesn't add up.

Maybe someone from Britain could search for phone cases and report back the results they get.
Old 11-10-2018

I'll be damn...
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I'll be damn...

For what exactly?
Old 11-10-2018

The first part. How it's different for the UK and US...
Old 11-10-2018

Longevity: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyamIbanned View Post
eBay does not care about it! It's all about the money they can do NOW!
Old 11-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

If you think eBay is a junkyard and haven for bottomfeeders, try Craigslist.

Buyers on Craigslist are 10x worse to deal with in my experience. They are the true bottom feeders of the world, and the site is full of flakes.

Out of half a dozen inquires on an item, maybe one person will even bother calling you back, or responding. It's flake central. The price always too high, even if they are already getting a good deal, they want it for next to nothing.

Marketplaces can't shake a particular reputation, and no amount of advertising or marketing budget will change the public's perception of a company.

If eBay continues on the path they are on, they are going to end up being like another Aliexpress/Aliababa like site.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
walkingupwards (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post

Buyers on Craigslist are 10x worse to deal with in my experience. They are the true bottom feeders of the world, and the site is full of flakes.

Out of half a dozen inquires on an item, maybe one person will even bother calling you back, or responding. It's flake central. The price always too high, even if they are already getting a good deal, they want it for next to nothing.

Marketplaces can't shake a particular reputation, and no amount of advertising or marketing budget will change the public's perception of a company.

If eBay continues on the path they are on, they are going to end up being like another Aliexpress/Aliababa like site.
And then meeting the buyer in person....
Old 11-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post

The internet is full of articles talking about the public perception of eBay as the place to go for cheap Chinese items!! This is not entirely true though, there is a ton of good sellers on eBay who really bring value to the market.

The reason behind my rant is the people running eBay. I can't understand why do these people get paid if they are not able to change the current status of a great marketplace such as eBay and bring the good old days back. It is not easy to compete with Amazon, but if there is a single marketplace that has a real chance of doing that it is eBay.

Take for example the phone accessories category, if you search for phone cases, there are more than 13 million listings. 99% of these are dormant and don't bring any sales at all. their only task is to clog the searching process and forbid new sellers or good listings from rising up. I see dormant listings in literally every category. The design of the market is ****ty compared to Amazon.

There are a lot of sellers who could provide same day dispatch and yet they find it difficult sometimes to be placed first.

Anyway, I think talking about transforming eBay is beating a dead horse as the "right" people will never give a **** about what I or any other person thinks.

If I was the CEO of PayPal, I would put all my effort into establishing a new marketplace. PayPal has all the data is needs to launch a gigantic market. A totally new venue that customers and sellers would be more than eager to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingupwards For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

The bottom line is: Most people want the lowest price, and that's where Chinese sellers can be competitive.

Craigslist is a step below that; think flea market, rummage/yard sale, etc. People expect to pay next to nothing, or get it free.

If eBay were a retail store, they would be like Walmart, Dollar General, or Smart & Final.
If Amazon were a store, they would be more like Costco, Best Buy, or Nordstrom.

The typical Amazon shopper (esp. Prime member) is likely to not mind paying a little more, but EXPECT better quality & service.

Chinese sellers have their place in retail, but I don't expect top-notch quality. That said, some Chinese goods are made surprisingly well. Don't expect an easy refund tho if you want to return.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
aspkin (11-10-2018), glacier922 (11-11-2018)