eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Federal agent customer (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/124748-federal-agent-customer.html)

nickopedia 03-16-2019 02:39 AM

Re: Federal agent customer

You got me! :spy:

jamescarson3000 03-16-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickopedia (Post 986383)
This sounds like a load of horse crap.

Real Federal LE agents wouldn't identify themselves over eBay chat. It goes against protocol and just don't make any sense.

If you were the subject of a bona fide Federal investigation of some time, you likely wouldn't be aware of it until the US Marshals or FBI came to pay you a visit.

That is correct, But sometimes where nice not to break the door open depending on the situation

nickopedia 03-16-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamescarson3000 (Post 986399)
That is correct, But sometimes where nice not to break the door open depending on the situation

I used to operate a Web Hosting company in CA and we would have agents from the local FBI field office stop by every once in awhile to ask questions about one of our clients. The FBI are actually quite professional and are normal guys doing their job.

It's highly unlikely given the bureau's current workload that they would be sending messages via eBay asking questions. It's more likely some competitor or nutcase buyer trying to scare the OP.

I've dealt with some members like that before. I had one threatening to turn me in to the "police" for something he decided was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. It wasn't. The best course of action in these situations is simply don't respond.

phaz0rz 03-16-2019 08:32 AM

What was the name of the hosting company?

walkingupwards 03-16-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickopedia (Post 986401)
I used to operate a Web Hosting company in CA and we would have agents from the local FBI field office stop by every once in awhile to ask questions about one of our clients. The FBI are actually quite professional and are normal guys doing their job.

It's highly unlikely given the bureau's current workload that they would be sending messages via eBay asking questions. It's more likely some competitor or nutcase buyer trying to scare the OP.

I've dealt with some members like that before. I had one threatening to turn me in to the "police" for something he decided was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. It wasn't. The best course of action in these situations is simply don't respond.

Did the agents show up without a warrant asking for clients' info?

nickopedia 03-16-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingupwards (Post 986548)
Did the agents show up without a warrant asking for clients' info?

No, there was no warrant or subpoena. The agents were there to ask us about a client server in our datacenter that was "supposedly" hosting something they were concerned about. Most of the time they would follow-up with actual paperwork that we could act on, otherwise we could not without being in potential violation of our ToS/AUP with the customer.

Under ordinary circumstances, you are never required to talk to LE or the feds if you choose not to. That said, many commercial entities do cooperate if there is a pending case within the limits of the law.

As a hosting provider, the vast majority of abuse cases involve UCE (spam) and DMCA (infringing content) claims.

Toolman89 03-16-2019 06:20 PM

tell him your Dad is the boss of federal agents and scare him back!

Futuremogul888 03-16-2019 08:31 PM

Definitely a liar and guilty of felony himself. Impersonating a federal agent is a federal crime.

Pedroalva 03-16-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allsmell (Post 986210)
Hello
Last week, there are a order on one of stealth eBay account, the customer send me a message told me he is a federal agent. My item is the copy item. the return address on the shipping label is UPS mailbox on my real info.
The package just delivery today.
"Is this legit? I can tell you right now I’m a federal agent and that wouldn’t be a good move. I have your PayPal info."
"I now do believe you think you’ve gotten away with this. I guarantee you are wrong my friend."
I don't know how to do right now.

Is it an expensive item?

james13v 03-17-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treysupreme (Post 986360)
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

You think this forum condones selling phakes? Really? DO show us that please

james13v 03-17-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 (Post 986601)
Definitely a liar and guilty of felony himself. Impersonating a federal agent is a federal crime.

Umm, that law isn't as black and white as you're trying to claim it to be.

james13v 03-17-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickopedia (Post 986383)
This sounds like a load of horse crap.

Real Federal LE agents wouldn't identify themselves over eBay chat. It goes against protocol and just don't make any sense.

If you were the subject of a bona fide Federal investigation of some time, you likely wouldn't be aware of it until the US Marshals or FBI came to pay you a visit.

agents, while actually working, wouldn't. Would an agent on his private time threaten by name or position dropping? Sure, why not? Do you think it's illegal to do so or something? Show me that in their rule book or job regulations, that says an agent can't or wouldn't name drop. Show us that protocol for off duty agents please.

phaz0rz 03-17-2019 09:26 AM

Way to stir the pot. :thumb:

Futuremogul888 03-17-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james13v (Post 986713)
Umm, that law isn't as black and white as you're trying to claim it to be.

I always enjoy a pseudointellectual rebuke with no explanation. You might be trying to say that not every case of pretending to work for the government is a crime. Telling your friends you are a secret agent is not a crime. However any time you tell someone you are an agent of the government to get any advantage, access, or anything of value is a crime.

No actual federal agent would use his position to throw his weight around, in his personal life, to gain advantage either because this is officer misconduct.

No one here is condoning the OPs actions but we also do not support customers strong arming sellers with lies. This conduct is seen across the board no matter how legit your products are.