Buyer Requests Return for wrong reason - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 02-11-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 46%
Default Buyer Requests Return for wrong reason

I shipped out an order to Peru.
It was the correct item.

The shipment was held at Peru customs with a laundry list of things the buyer
needs to provide in order to have it cleared. Buyer doesn't want to release it.

The buyer opens a "Request Return" case and states the reason: "wrong item sent".

Now if I am not mistaken, as a seller, a return request with the reason wrong item sent is the same as INAD? That means I would be hit with a defect if I ACCEPT the return.

But the reason is wrong. The correct item was sent. It's just held at customs and the buyer doesn't want to release it.

So the buyer has me cornered. The only thing I think I can do to not get a seller defect is to just refund the buyer (automatically closes the case) correct?

I don't care much for the money because seller defect is more important. I can make the money back in future sales I make, but a seller defect might suspend me from selling ever again.

What should I do in this situation?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-11-2020

Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Buyer Requests Return for wrong reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I shipped out an order to Peru.
It was the correct item.

The shipment was held at Peru customs with a laundry list of things the buyer
needs to provide in order to have it cleared. Buyer doesn't want to release it.

The buyer opens a "Request Return" case and states the reason: "wrong item sent".

Now if I am not mistaken, as a seller, a return request with the reason wrong item sent is the same as INAD? That means I would be hit with a defect if I ACCEPT the return.

But the reason is wrong. The correct item was sent. It's just held at customs and the buyer doesn't want to release it.

So the buyer has me cornered. The only thing I think I can do to not get a seller defect is to just refund the buyer (automatically closes the case) correct?

I don't care much for the money because seller defect is more important. I can make the money back in future sales I make, but a seller defect might suspend me from selling ever again.

What should I do in this situation?
Does tracking actually say there is a problem with customs due to the buyers inactions? If so, I'd call in and have them escalate the return into an INR case.
The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
oatmeal (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
Does tracking actually say there is a problem with customs due to the buyers inactions? If so, I'd call in and have them escalate the return into an INR case.
Yes, the tracking information says it is held at customs clearance and they emailed me (as well as the buyer) all the required documentation they need to get it cleared. Sometimes buyers will do all the work and provide it and get it cleared. In this case, this buyer doesn't want to do it and told me since they didn't get the item, they want a refund. But oddly they opened a return request case. How can they return it if they never got it? And how could they state the reason as: "wrong item sent".

This reason makes it look like I made a mistake and sent the wrong item but of course I didn't. I asked the buyer if they can close the return request and open a INR case and I can easily just refund them. But I think I don't have to accept this return. There is another option in the list that says refund the buyer and close this case (buyer gets to keep the item). I think that's the option I have to choose to not get a defect.
Old 02-11-2020

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Yes, the tracking information says it is held at customs clearance and they emailed me (as well as the buyer) all the required documentation they need to get it cleared. Sometimes buyers will do all the work and provide it and get it cleared. In this case, this buyer doesn't want to do it and told me since they didn't get the item, they want a refund. But oddly they opened a return request case. How can they return it if they never got it? And how could they state the reason as: "wrong item sent".

This reason makes it look like I made a mistake and sent the wrong item but of course I didn't. I asked the buyer if they can close the return request and open a INR case and I can easily just refund them. But I think I don't have to accept this return. There is another option in the list that says refund the buyer and close this case (buyer gets to keep the item). I think that's the option I have to choose to not get a defect.
You do not have to accept a return, because it is a fraudulent return case, but you also can't ignore it. Call in and have them escalate it to an INR case, and from my experience, they should close it out in your favor. LOL, and, because he already opened a return, he can't open a return if he actually does get the item.

If you wanted to be a dick, you could also accept the return, but they'd require you to provide a label/money. He won't have anything to send you, and you could wait and then have ebay close the case. It will cost you a little money, Tho, you could also open an INR case on that paypal label money you sent him.....
Old 02-11-2020

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,043 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

review Ebay policy when buyer refuses to pick up item at customs,I think he will lose the case.
You can also call Ebay and ask them
Old 02-11-2020

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,043 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

what is the item?
Peru customs have high tarriff for luxury items,I shipped a gold watch once.it is like 20%